24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone here used memory foam in their 1750 gun case instead of ordering more expensive foam to add different rifles to your case?

BP...

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Will memory foam hold moisture? Bad news if it does.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't all foam hold moisture, to a certain extent?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Doesn't all foam hold moisture, to a certain extent?

I believe closed cell foam isn't supposed to, except perhaps where cut and the cells are now opened.

Not sure, but I also believe the typical memory foam is not closed cell.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, that makes sense & you're correct, Memory foam is open-cell, at least the stuff at my automotive upholstery shop is. I'm just not sure if closed cell foam is appropriate for a gun case - it is rather dense and hard (no "that's what she said" comments necessary).

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/28/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Well, that makes sense & you're correct, Memory foam is open-cell, at least the stuff at my automotive upholstery shop is. I'm just not sure if closed cell foam is appropriate for a gun case - it is rather dense and hard (no "that's what she said" comments necessary).

I've got some closed cell foam sleeping pads for backpacking. Dense, but not hard. I think some of my cases have similar.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't really looked into it much, but it seems that most of the hard cases I've looked at have that dark gray open-cell foam.

If the OP doesn't want to purchase the expensive Pelican replacement foam, I'd suggest that he find a fabric/upholstery/foam shop and take a look at what they have. There's such a shop not too far from me and they stock all sorts of foam. He'd probably be able to find something pretty good at such a shop as they usually have various densities of open and closed cell foams.

- Del Gue
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
Has anyone here used memory foam in their 1750 gun case instead of ordering more expensive foam to add different rifles to your case?

BP...

Not recommended. I use closed cell foam, even tried using evazote layers (available in 1" or 2.54cm). I also cut out at least two squares and place moisture absorber containers or pouches, especially if traveling or leaving a rifle in one for longer than a few days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two things:

1) when I bought replacement foam for my Pelican case, I didn't find it excessively expensive. I went to a full feature Pelican dealer.

2) I would not trust any foam that was not cut out to fit the rifle, or the case did not have tie downs. I would be afraid that the rifles could shift in harsh handling during travel when using a foam that relies on friction to hold the rifles in place.

Last edited by AB2506; 10/29/20.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AB2506
Two things:

1) when I bought replacement foam for my Pelican case, I didn't find it excessively expensive. I went to a full feature Pelican dealer.

2) I would not trust any foam that was not cut out to fit the rifle, or the case did not have tie downs. I would be afraid that the rifles could shift in harsh handling during travel when using a foam that relies on friction to hold the rifles in place.

I use a Boyt case that only utilizes friction and have had zero issues on a number of trips.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.