U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Well said, could not agree more.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems to me that Mr. Redgwell gives as good as he gets. And he's not the individual that I have on Ignore.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Ask the Gunwriters is a place on the Campfire where members get a chance to talk with gunwriters, get the benefit of their experience and exchange ideas and knowledge. It's right at the top of the 24 hr campfire forums I visit and value highly.

30 years ago no one had this access to these people except a select few of their immediate friends on a 2 way basis short of writing letters and hoping you would get a reply. I don't think I am alone in my value of what I can learn here.

It's allright to have your own ideas but if you think they are the only good ones , be prepared to defend them with facts and valid experience for everyone has the right to their own opinion. I personally would hate to see this forum come to an end because people have alienated the gunwriters here with rude behavior even though they can do better.

J WALL your out of line ,way out. You would not tolerate anyone talking to you like you have talked to Steve R so think about it and try to treat people with the respect they deserve or take your crap over to the campfire where it probably don't belong either. Magnum_Bob

Mr. Bob I agree with your first 3 paragraphs complettly. I have said more than once that I 'appreciate' the opportunity to have exchanges with Gun Writers and people in the business. They have far wider experiences than I and many here.

I also respect YOUR right and that of all of us to have differing opinions, sometimes because of our diff experiences.
You have the right to your opinion and I RESPECT that.

OTOH I have the same right. None of us deserve to be 'trolled'. Unfortunately trolling does occur here on the 'Fire'.

I DO NOT nor HAVE NOT trolled anyone. I don't follow anyone to criticise or mock them.

I will not lay down or bend over or allow ANYONE -- anyone -- to trample and criticise me WITHOUT due cause.
I reserve the RIGHT to defend myself or fight back if needed.

This is just the last occasion where S R has entered a discussion NOT involving himself and MOCKED me and
I'M TIRED of it.
I never open his threads. I never follow his posts and especially check to see if I have occasion to criticize or mock him.
W/O using the ignore feature, I simply SKIP his posts. He refuses to return that privilege.

IF he will leave me ALONE..... I promise I will CONTINUE to leave him alone

That is the best I can do and all I promise to do regarding trolls.

I hope you and others can understand and if not that is your right too.

I will NOT apologize for defending myself. I don't expect others to apologize for the same thing. I do not go looking for
adversaries.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
That is the best I can do

Bullchit. You can just STFU if he's involved. It's not that hard....Why bring you guys' petty bullcrap down on the rest of us?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't really like DM in bolt rifles either, but nowadays that's about all you can get.
My dumb question is. Ok, I got this DM that can hold 4/5 rounds in it, my state says only straight-walled cartridges and only one round in the chamber and two in the DM. Can't just put two rounds in the DM and say it's ok. Now how in the world do I get this DM to only be able to hold two rounds? I don't think snap caps will be legal in the DM. Can't put a dowel in the DM like in a shotgun.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not sure what model bolt gun your talking about but I'd look at a vertical bolt thru the floor plate/mag bottom that stops down ward travel of the mag follower. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I have no opinion about detchable magazines except the ones that stick down below are really a stupid idea. You can't carry the rifle at the balance point one handed. That's why the original M16/AR15 had the carry handle.

I haven’t had that problem with my rifles with APA DBM and AICS mags. This rifle’s balance point is in front of the mag. Easy to carry one handed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Well, I’ll catch hell but anyway It won’t be the first time and better yet I’m still alive. Hunting dangerous game with conventional magazine rifles and detachable magazine rifles I put a piece of duct tape over both. Just gives me piece of mind. Chit Happens. Usually at the wrong time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Texson2
Well, I’ll catch hell but anyway It won’t be the first time and better yet I’m still alive. Hunting dangerous game with conventional magazine rifles and detachable magazine rifles I put a piece of duct tape over both. Just gives me piece of mind. Chit Happens. Usually at the wrong time.

What color tape would work best?
I got some hellacious vicious squirrels stealing my pistachios.
Trying to work up the nerve to confront 'em.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pink, you only use blue in montana or hunting g bears cause any where else that would be overkill. Yeah that's how it is

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Kimber7man]

I haven’t had that problem with my rifles with APA DBM and AICS mags. This rifle’s balance point is in front of the mag. Easy to carry one handed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

------------------------------------

I see rifles with DMs that extend quite a bit and I don't know where their balance point is so.....

I don't have any problems with mine like K 7man said.
The Rem 760, 7600, & Sixes DMs are ergonomically designed w/o sharp corners and don't extend way down so no problem

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Tikka T 3s DMs I have also are designed for easy carry.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The DM design of the Rem 788 was 1 of my objections to that rifle. The bottom of the mag was not only 'square'
but also extended with the release on 1 end of the mag (don't remember which end) which made it POSSIBLE for
'something' to catch or push it in and release it UNintended.
I don't know if I ever took a pic of mine in the 70s and it's the only 1 I have had.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I was never a fan of detachable mags in a big game (deer) rifle until I used one. To me it's a convenient way to carry a few extra rounds in the pocket of my vest. It's also quieter as I don't have loose ammo rattling around in my pockets. Quick to load up as soon as I get off the ATV or unload before getting on. I've decided it's a "what's not to like" kinda thing. I have DBM's on most of my deer rifles now and I prefer the flush-fitting one in my Browning X-Bolt over the Tikka mags. My biggest problem with them, as a child of the 70's, is to just remember to bring the darn things...

Last edited by River_Ridge; 10/30/20.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I always liked the steyr detachable mags, the ones that had the two positions, first position would hold it in place but you couldn't feed a round from it, the 2nd was when you were ready. Nice idea/setup.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I accept them on an AR style rifle but never on a bolt action hunting rifle.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are we still talking DBM’s? Avoided them at all costs, until I had my first Tikka. Now I like them, easy peasy.

Now back to the fight.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I’m not a fan. I like to put my thumb over the bolt and under the scope with my fingers around the belly of the stock just ahead of the trigger guard. That doesn’t work with picatinny rails and detachable magazines. Plus, I know I would invariably leave a mag at home at some point.

Those are just preferences and I can see some advantages to detachable magazines. Though, I do suspect that there are going to be lots and lots of single shot rifles in the future as cheap plastic mags wear out, break down, and get lost for all these budget rifles being made nowadays by every manufacturer under the sun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just like Glocks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

you are an 'enabler', aren't ya ? whistle

I don't KNEED no help ! shocked

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I’m not a fan. I like to put my thumb over the bolt and under the scope with my fingers around the belly of the stock just ahead of the trigger guard. That doesn’t work with picatinny rails and detachable magazines. Plus, I know I would invariably leave a mag at home at some point.

Those are just preferences and I can see some advantages to detachable magazines. Though, I do suspect that there are going to be lots and lots of single shot rifles in the future as cheap plastic mags wear out, break down, and get lost for all these budget rifles being made nowadays by every manufacturer under the sun.

Easy peasy to cut a picatinny and make it a 2 piece with room for your thumb

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
but it's so much easier to whine about it.....

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.