Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Shoot & clean, shoot & clean. I wind the springs as tight as I can. Still get a lot of failure to feed.

Cleaning is typically breakdown and hit with Hornady One Shot cleaner, scrub, reassemble.

Cheap 36gr Remington doesn’t help I’m sure.

Missing anything?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You may be winding the spring too tightly, try setting the spring tension per Ruger instructions and I expect that your failure to feed problems will go away.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yup, apparently way too tight. I’ve never bought a “new” one so never had a manual.
I reckon I had the spring bound up to where it didn’t want to rotate.

For anyone else who doesn’t read instructions.

MAGAZINE INSPECTION AND CARE
Check the magazine frequently. The rotor must move freely and have adequate tension so that each cartridge is quickly raised to the feeding position. At the time of manufacture, proper rotor tension is set by rotating the magazine cap nut until the rotor stops turning. Then the nut is turned an additional 1 1/4 turns beyond the ‘stop’ position.
To test the rotor tension, load one cartridge into the magazine and then firmly press against the side of the cartridge case. Remove your finger quickly. The cartridge should instantly and fully move in to the feeding position. If it does not, the magazine should be cleaned. If cleaning does not restore proper rotor tension, do not use the magazine. (NOTE: After testing, remove the test cartridge.)
When cleaning is necessary, use a solvent that will not rust the metal components or adversely affect the plastic magazine box. After the magazine has been soaked in solvent to loosen foreign matter, be certain to shake it vigorously (with the loading opening away from you) to remove solvent or residue from within the magazine.
After cleaning, always check to be certain that rotor movement and tension are correct, and that no solvent or debris remain. Do not disassemble the magazine. Improper reassembly or improper tensioning of the rotor spring can cause a potentially dangerous malfunction. If you experience a problem with the magazine, don’t use it. Get a new one.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore

You rang?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 16bore
Yup, apparently way too tight. I’ve never bought a “new” one so never had a manual.
I reckon I had the spring bound up to where it didn’t want to rotate.

MAGAZINE INSPECTION AND CARE
Check the magazine frequently. The rotor must move freely and have adequate tension so that each cartridge is quickly raised to the feeding position. At the time of manufacture, proper rotor tension is set by rotating the magazine cap nut until the rotor stops turning. Then the nut is turned an additional 1 1/4 turns beyond the ‘stop’ position.
To test the rotor tension, load one cartridge into the magazine and then firmly press against the side of the cartridge case. Remove your finger quickly. The cartridge should instantly and fully move in to the feeding position. If it does not, the magazine should be cleaned. If cleaning does not restore proper rotor tension, do not use the magazine. (NOTE: After testing, remove the test cartridge.)
When cleaning is necessary, use a solvent that will not rust the metal components or adversely affect the plastic magazine box. After the magazine has been soaked in solvent to loosen foreign matter, be certain to shake it vigorously (with the loading opening away from you) to remove solvent or residue from within the magazine.
After cleaning, always check to be certain that rotor movement and tension are correct, and that no solvent or debris remain. Do not disassemble the magazine. Improper reassembly or improper tensioning of the rotor spring can cause a potentially dangerous malfunction. If you experience a problem with the magazine, don’t use it. Get a new one.

Thanks for that.....I have 3-4 that need worked over.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I had my first 10/22 at the range and was having feeding problems. A friend who had been playing with 10/22's for years said "let me see your magazine." He took an allen key and loosened the 9/64 screw, and then re-tightend it just snug and then backed off just a bit and handed it back to me. I gave him a "yea right" look, but tried it, worked great. He said the key is to loosen the screw till you here a "click" then stop. Don't know what the click is but it has worked on every magazine I have tried since.

Michael

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
1-1/4 turns on the nut worked like a charm, not one hiccup. Dope was good, wind a bitch today.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tag!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Timely thread for me as I'm currently taking the 6th 10/22 mag apart to clean it. Not only just a 1-1/4 turn on the spring, but the screw should only be finger tight, at least that's what I've found.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I shot 2 10/22's today with 8 10 rounders. 3 of them were fairly new ones the rest were bought in the mid to late 70's. The 3 new ones would hang up in the newest rifle, have to wrestle them out of the gun. All mags worked great in a mid 70's Deluxe. When I got back home I measured the outside dimensions and the new ones were slightly longer front to back. Looking closer the plastic housing is kind of bowed on the rear surface. Used a course file to flatten that surface and they all would fall free like they should. The newer gun has the composite trigger housing.
I've dissembled the older ones several times to clean without issue using the 1 and 1/4 turn on the spring. The newer mags haven't been apart yet and they feel like the spring has more tension. Might take them apart, clean and reassemble with the 1 1/4 turn and see if they work more like the older mags.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.