Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Update...

Put the factory barreled action in an MC3 for fun. And with a TriggerTech at 2 lbs. Shooting the same factory 147 ELD Match ammo.

The 10-shot group was fired at 100 yards and measures ~0.640. Cheap rifle, cheap stock, factory ammo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Update...

Put the factory barreled action in an MC3 for fun. And with a TriggerTech at 2 lbs. Shooting the same factory 147 ELD Match ammo.

The 10-shot group was fired at 100 yards and measures ~0.640. Cheap rifle, cheap stock, factory ammo.

Sell me that rifle...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Looks real nice!!!

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Sell me that rifle...

Everything is for sale grin But, I don't think this rifle is anything special. You could just buy an ADL varmint for $430, or wait for a deal on the AAC. Looks like the MC3 deals are gone with DBM, but there might be some BDL versions left.

I might sell the McMillan Remington Hunter stock, as this rifle will stay in the MC3 as a dedicated target rifle. The MC3 is nowhere near as stiff as the Rem Hunter, but I put a 9-13" Harris on the rifle and shot at 954 yards without any issues.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gee, just don't see many Leupold scope anymore.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just curious, why the swap from LRTSi to HDMR? Is the HDMR Bushnell's direct successor to the LRTSi?

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cast10K
Just curious, why the swap from LRTSi to HDMR? Is the HDMR Bushnell's direct successor to the LRTSi?

Just personal preference.

I don't care for the G3 reticle in the LRTSi and LRTS. Nothing wrong with it functionally, though. I had the LRTSi 4.5-18x and LRTS 3-12x, but don't own either now.

The HDMR II obviously has the Horus H59, which I really like, but many people hate. I like the clear view above the horizontal crosshair, and I use the grid out to 600 yards. I also like the 0.2 mil spacing for wind holds. The standard DMR II and DMR II PRO have the the G3.

I don't know what the deal is with Bushnell and the LRTS scopes. It seems like they discontinued the 3-12x awhile back, but still had the 4.5-18x. Now the 4.5-18x is no longer shown on their website. I think both were originally released as the LRHS for hunting, with input from George Gardner and Pat Sinclair. Then those got discontinued, and Bushnell sold them as tactical scopes without the donut-of-death.

The HDMR/DMR II (6x ratio) scopes are the latest versions of the old DMR scopes and are unrelated to the LRHS/LRTS (4x ratio) scopes as far as I know. As I understand it, the old DMR scopes were designed and made for military applications. Tom Fuller (Armageddon Gear) was leading that activity, for Bushnell, after his career in the military. He got input from various units, and fed that info to Bushnell. From what I have been told, the DMR has been used all around the world and guys would still trust their lives to it. Same with the DMR II, but the latest I've heard through the grapevine is that Bushnell has been slipping lately but I haven't gotten any details.

My buddy is friends with a bunch of guys that have used these scopes on operations, and I asked about the LRHS/LRTS. Those seem to be totally off of their radar for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe OAL length? I don't think so, as the 3-12x is pretty short. Maybe 4x zoom isn't enough, or 12x is too low? NV issues? Maybe the reps just don't push those scopes. I don't know, but for whatever reason they love the DMR and DMR II, even though they also use Nightforce and Tangent Thetas.

The DMR II is an improved version of the DMR, but optically I don't think it is as good as the LRTS. The DMR II PRO is supposed to be better, but I don't have one. The G3 is a deal breaker for me though. It hurts my eye!

Was just comparing my HDMR II to a 5-25 ATACR and 5-25 T5Xi. The HDMR is good enough to aim, but the view through the ATACR is really nice!

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/01/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4th_point, you've used that particular barreled action like a red-headed step child. I've really enjoyed following your thread and the various configurations you've utilized and tested. I could enjoy more threads like this. Well done my friend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No problem, thanks for the feedback.

I should probably consolidate everything into one new thread, showing all the different configurations. I still need to shoot it with the factory Hogue stock. That would total four stocks, including the Grayboe, McMillan, and the MC3. Three different triggers, and three different scopes.

I feel pretty confident that it is an honest 1-MOA rifle, no matter the configuration tried so far. And I am by no means a great shooter.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I tried some other factory ammo last week. The 140 ELD-M, 143 ELD-X, and Federal 130 Berger. All donated by a friend. They all essentially went to the same POI as the 147 ELD-M that I typically shoot. I didn't change the scope zero. .

First image below is the Fed 130 Berger. Five shots at 100 yards. I'm guessing the flier was probably me. Second image is the 143 ELD-X, same number of rounds and distance. It measures ~0.6".

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/13/20.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Also shot out to 1360 yards with the 147 ELD-M using a Harris bipod. The ES is pretty big for that distance, and the prediction from my app was off for the first shot. Elevation was 2-mils low, but with perfect windage. I saw the impact, and added the 2-mils of elevation. Impact! Cheap fun.

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/13/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice! Fun isn't it?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Definitely a lot of fun, especially not having to deal with handloads!

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I sold the MC3, so the barreled action is back in the McMillan Rem Hunter. Still using the HDMR and factory 147 ELD.

Also, just put a PVA Jet Blast UL on it, and shot it for the first time yesterday with 6-9" Harris.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was able to shoot out to 1150+ yards, on a sheer rockface, with pretty good results using the Harris and Jet Blast. I typically don't use a bipod, but am enjoying it quite a bit lately. Did surprisingly well with a tripod, and bag on top, as well. No images, and I need to find a way to take videos grin

I can't complain, as I paid $600 for the rifle and am shooting factory ammo. Not counting the stock, of course. However, the Grayboe and MC3 shot just as well, if not easier due to the extra weight. And they cost considerably less. It does have a TT Primary as well.

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/29/20.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Also shot out to 1360 yards with the 147 ELD-M using a Harris bipod. The ES is pretty big for that distance, and the prediction from my app was off for the first shot. Elevation was 2-mils low, but with perfect windage. I saw the impact, and added the 2-mils of elevation. Impact! Cheap fun.

Update - The prediction from that app was jacked up. With AB, JBM, and 4DOF, the impacts observed seem to jive with the predicted values. I need to spend more time getting shots on steel or paper to see the vertical dispersion and distribution. More velocity data as well.

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/30/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

409 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 55 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,217
Posts18,447,403
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.