Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Dutch, the problem is that we'd have to spend trillions to get stuff back that by virtue of gross over-supply would then be next to worthless. That quadtrillions estimate is what it would be worth at our current prices - which are set by rarity.

Look at aluminum for example. In the middle ages, it was so hard to extract that it actually worth more than gold by weight. Today, it is so abundant that it is one of the cheapest metals out there.

Rocky, it is a grand plan to populate all those planets with TDS infected liberals. They need raw materials to build the infrastructure.

And the leftovers can be used for a Death Star, right?

Any space program without a Death Star isn't worth its weight in asteroid iron/nickel ore.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I don't get why they use the term "$10,000 quadrillion" instead of 10 quintillion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's because you are smarter than the article's author, good sir.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The article is total BS.

The only purpose of NASA, aside from the few useful people at JPL in Pasadena who do the unmanned science missions, is to keep about 30,000 bureaucrats in Houston employed at make work.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dutch, the problem is that we'd have to spend trillions to get stuff back that by virtue of gross over-supply would then be next to worthless. That quadtrillions estimate is what it would be worth at our current prices - which are set by rarity.

Look at aluminum for example. In the middle ages, it was so hard to extract that it actually worth more than gold by weight. Today, it is so abundant that it is one of the cheapest metals out there.

Ok, you want to discuss this seriously? LOL. OK, Engineer v economist...., battle of the nerds....

The Value of the asteroid is actually much HIGHER than estimated because of its location. Iron and nickel on earth would have to be lifted to high earth orbit before it can me used for space applications. It takes, what, 50 lbs of fuel to lift one pound to high earth orbit? Thus, since this asteroid is ALREADY in space, the value of a pound of iron or nickel there is higher by at least the cost of 50 lbs of fuel.......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch

Ok, you want to discuss this seriously? LOL. OK, Engineer v economist...., battle of the nerds....

The Value of the asteroid is actually much HIGHER than estimated because of its location. Iron and nickel on earth would have to be lifted to high earth orbit before it can me used for space applications. It takes, what, 50 lbs of fuel to lift one pound to high earth orbit? Thus, since this asteroid is ALREADY in space, the value of a pound of iron or nickel there is higher by at least the cost of 50 lbs of fuel.......

Seriously,

it's worth WAY more when it's turned into a Death Star.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I hope that truth probably lies somewhere in between - in that at some point in the future, whether it be in the next hundred or next thousand years, having a big ole chunk of iron and nickel already outside of a planetary gravity well should come in handy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a 140 mile wide monolithic bullet. It would way over penetrate.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
You guys mis- read the article. Yes, there is a metallic asteroid out there. But since NASA is a govt agency...it will cost 10 quadrillion for the ticket on a Russian vehicle to get there.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Start a belter colony their to mine it. Just don't let the steal the Nauvoo.

Bb

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

But then you have the cost of getting the Chinese steel factory up there. The steel workers union makes it prohibitive to use an American factory.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This asteroid is not in "high earth orbit." It's orbiting the sun way out beyond Mars. It is made of an unknown amount of iron. Iron is not steel, so you'd have to lift an entire steel factory up there. Making steel (via the Bessemer Process) takes a huge amount of oxygen which is in remarkably short supply in space. Also electricity - ditto. And that's after you've mined it with wholly different but massive machinery, all running on something.

One does not have to be either an engineer or an economist to know that a metallic asteroid a couple hundred million miles in space at its closest is not a practical source of ore. (Read that "at its closest" again. It and Earth orbit the sun. For much of the time it is on the opposite side of the solar system, several times farther than when it is very briefly at its closest.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Consider the repercussions of removing a huge monolith from the gravitational equilibrium of the asteroid belt, an equilibrium which has been established over several billions of years.

The possibilities are infinite, and could quite well cause ripples throughout the asteroid belt.
Some of which could cause swarms of asteroids to cross Earth Orbit.

Tanguska Event over Los Angeles anyone?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Whoie, talk about a pie in the sky! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.