Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Next week I’m taking a four day whirlwind trip around SW Utah and NW AZ. Interested in sharing some PMs with someone from that area.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drive Hwy 12.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You won’t be disappointed if you stop by Zion National Park

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't live there, but allow me a suggestion. Make sure you visit Kolob Canyon NP, just south of Cedar City on I-15. Your National Park Pass will get you in. Spectacular formations and color, even just from the drive-through. One of the least heralded and least visited despite being the easiest to get to.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been scouting that area of Utah for a relocation move. Several good towns but those damn Californians are moving in fast.

Cedar Breaks is where "Jeremiah Johnson" was filmed. It too is just out of Cedar City.

If you have the time, drive 89 east out of St George/Hurricane towards Kanab. From there drive 89A east across the Kaibab Plateau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaibab_Plateau) to Jacobs Lake. From there it gets even better. Jacobs Lake is the gateway to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon but I say drive east towards the Vermillion Cliffs and Marble Canyon. Bring a picnic lunch and have plenty of memory for photos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion_Cliffs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Canyon

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
what's you exact plans.....

Big fire went through Jacob's Lake this year ?

Hwy 12 is close to my turf...2 hrs ish,,,,,,but a great road trip...

Make a loop trip.....Boulder.....Capitol Reef....Burr Trail ......Torrey

Henry Mtn's.........? Southern Utah is so diverse....

You could easily spend all 4 days east of Hwy 89 & south of I 70 in Utah

Remember elevation changes fast......Bryce is at 8K'...Capitol Reef at 7K' Hwy 12 crosses 10K'

Pic......Henry's......4x4 suggested....bucks soon in rut.....biggest mule deer bucks on the planet grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I have been scouting that area of Utah for a relocation move. Several good towns but those damn Californians are moving in fast.

Cedar Breaks is where "Jeremiah Johnson" was filmed
. It too is just out of Cedar City.

If you have the time, drive 89 east out of St George/Hurricane towards Kanab. From there drive 89A east across the Kaibab Plateau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaibab_Plateau) to Jacobs Lake. From there it gets even better. Jacobs Lake is the gateway to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon but I say drive east towards the Vermillion Cliffs and Marble Canyon. Bring a picnic lunch and have plenty of memory for photos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion_Cliffs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Canyon

I don't know about the Cedar Breaks part, but part of JJ was filmed in Snow Canyon State Park just outside St. George. The scene where Del Gue was buried in the sand is just inside the south entrance to the park. Snow Canyon is well worth visiting. Spectacular scenery, and much more accessible than the big national parks. Butch Cassidy was filmed there too, and The Conquerers, probably others as well.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd get off I40 at Flagstaff, head north on highway 89, turn off to Kayenta, eat at the Burger King and see the Navajo Code Talkers museum inside. Then head towards and see Monument Valley. Stay overnight at Mexican Hat at the motel/restaurant the hangs over the San Juan River. Get up and head to the state park where the river bends like a horseshoe. Then up the Moqui Dugway to Muley Point. Turn left off the road after getting to the top. Spectacular views of Monument Valley and all the surrounding mountain ranges. back in the road to Arches National Park. Continue on highway 12 and see the most beautiful scenery you could imagine. See Tikkanut's it's post, he nails it.

Bryce Canyon, Zion's, Cedar Breaks definitely.

Lot of it depends on how much time you have. I'd be happy to answer any questions. Art

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4 days is not enough time ;-) Zion, Kolob, Bryce, North Rim Grand Canyon, Hwy 12 to Escalante-Calf Creek Falls-Capital Reef NP. North of Vegas is Valley of Fire State Park. Monument Valley and other Navajo Tribal Parks are closed until at least Jan 1 due to Covid.

Where does your trip start/end- Vegas? What have you seen before?

Last edited by RedRabbit; 11/01/20.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by StGeorger
I'd get off I40 at Flagstaff, head north on highway 89, turn off to Kayenta, eat at the Burger King and see the Navajo Code Talkers museum inside. Then head towards and see Monument Valley. Stay overnight at Mexican Hat at the motel/restaurant the hangs over the San Juan River. Get up and head to the state park where the river bends like a horseshoe. Then up the Moqui Dugway to Muley Point. Turn left off the road after getting to the top. Spectacular views of Monument Valley and all the surrounding mountain ranges. back in the road to Arches National Park. Continue on highway 12 and see the most beautiful scenery you could imagine. See Tikkanut's it's post, he nails it.

Lot of it depends on how much time you have. I'd be happy to answer any questions. Art

Burger King in Kayenta ????

I think when they run outta beef burgers......

they go out the back door & grab a stray dog..............

Moki Dugway is crazy kool.....Muley Point...yes....

Prob is...the 4 day stay....need more time...4x4 truck/SUV is a ++ too

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

OP.......what R U driving is the question ?

you may have to skip AZ.... cry

Then you can add a Fish Lake loop to the trip (west of Torrey-access on Hwy 72)

Yea..the Rez & Covid-19....

bring mask(s) etc.....

pic near Hwy 12

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really good advice above. You are in for four days of great stuff.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by StGeorger

Burger King in Kayenta ????

I think when they run outta beef burgers......

they go out the back door & grab a stray dog..............

Moki Dugway is crazy kool.....Muley Point...yes....

Prob is...the 4 day stay....need more time...4x4 truck/SUV is a ++ too

the code talker museum is the reason for the BK visit in Kayenta.

IF you just want to see wild country, you can turn north off I-40 at Chambers, Az and travel 191 through Ganado and Chinle to get to kayenta.

Another path would be to get off at Gallup and travel 264 all the way to Tuba City, that would take you though all of the Hopi Mesas.

If you are flying into Vegas to start this trip, disregard.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Wow! the pics are making me want to be there now.

Right now our plan is to get to Las Vegas early Saturday around 8:30. 4 days is definitely not enough time but we are wanting to get around a bit and just see the area. None of us have been there before.

We will be driving. Our plan is to hit somewhere along the north rim on Saturday then up to Page. That's a crazy long day.

Sunday. We will wander around Vermillion cliffs cross the Navajo bridge. Daughter wants to see Angel Canyon.

Our plan is to be around Bryce Canyon on Monday.

On Tuesday we will see some of Zion.

Wed we fly back home.

Fast and furious but I've never been west of Houston, Texas or Springfield, MO whichever is further west of the other. I'm pretty much expecting to want to pack up and move as soon as I get back home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's kind of an appetizer visit, but not a bad one. Use it to plan much longer visits next time.

If you have never been here, allow me to summarize this part of the West: You can set your camera on self-time, throw it high in the air anywhere - and get picture postcards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Random assortment in Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, and Nevada (in no particular order)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Moqui Dugway and Mexican Hat are pretty cool...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

next time come back......bring a 4x4 sumthing......more time too

some more 'out my back door'

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That pictogram is incredible!

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
That sure is. A rock painting would be on the short list of things I'd like to see. Are there any close by our route that you guys can recommend?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.