Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I guess I'm the opposite in that I can't see why a guy would want to spill bullets into his hand or on the ground to unload? I'd rather drop out a magazine and slap it in when ready to go again. I guess to each his own.

Lot's of pro's and cons for both but you can't leave a Floorplate back at the truck and it can't drop out while your walking around in some rough stuff. grin

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TDMax
Originally Posted by Delta Hunter
OCC, that's a beautiful rifle, but I don't think those Millet rings do it justice. BTDT myself. A set of Conetrols on that rifle would look awesome IMHO.

The Conetrol rings and bases look pretty sweet, but they really need some artwork and specs on their site.

Their site sucks, so does their advertising. But I like their rings.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never owned a Sako, but those M75s look nice!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How do those Conetrol rings compare to the Sako Optilock? Do they slide in and stop like the Opti's? The plastic insert in the Sako looks like a good idea.

No height specs for Conetrol either...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can someone please explain to me the difference between the model AII, AIII, AV, and 75 please? Thanks
Jordan

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shroud change, body style, A-models had two locking lugs...75s have three, etc.

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TDMax
How do those Conetrol rings compare to the Sako Optilock? Do they slide in and stop like the Opti's? The plastic insert in the Sako looks like a good idea.

No height specs for Conetrol either...

The Conetrols do not have a limiter pin like the Optilocks. They fit very tightly onto the dovetails, however, by way of friction (it's a tapered dovetail, so it's only going to go so far) and a small set screw on top of each base. The set screw really doesn't do much at all, the mechanical friction between a taper that's getting smaller (the base) against a taper that's getting larger (the receiver) is what does the trick.

The Optilocks are very nice also. I use those on my Stainless Sako (see below). I've never had a problem with either brand. The thing I like about the Conetrols is the looks and the height, medium Conetrols being lower than low Optilocks. The thing I like about the Optilocks is the insert, which eliminates alignment problems and scope marks. What I don't like about the Optilocks are the rings screws, which are too delicate (soft) IMHO.

[Linked Image]

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Men,
I looked at a Sako today and am wondering what I saw. It had LV etc. just before what I think was the serial number. I was told it was the deluxe model, nice dark wood with forend tip, blued barrel in 30-06. Looked like an older gun (was certainly used)as it was priced at %1069.00. So, was it most likely a Model 75 Deluxe or does the LV mean something different? I certainly appreciate all the responses and pics. Thanks........

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Update - The Sako I looked at has the following serial number - L61R508XXX. I was told just now (via phone) it is a Finnbear and the barrel is 24". Nice wood stock with rosewood (or something) forend tip). The condition is said to be 90-95 % and they are asking $1069.00. So tell me men:

1. When was this rifle manufactured. I looked on the Baretta web site but couldn't find anything?
2. Does the serial number indicate it is in fact a Finnbear?
3. Is the asking price a little or a lot high?
I appreciate your responses..Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. Don't know when it was made.
2. Yes. The grip cap will have a bear's head in it on the deluxe. Does it look like the rifle I posted above?
3. Price is about right for 95%. I have seen them run as high as $1500 for mint to NIB.

WAR EAGLE!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Update - The Sako I looked at has the following serial number - L61R508XXX. I was told just now (via phone) it is a Finnbear and the barrel is 24". Nice wood stock with rosewood (or something) forend tip). The condition is said to be 90-95 % and they are asking $1069.00. So tell me men:

1. When was this rifle manufactured. I looked on the Baretta web site but couldn't find anything?
2. Does the serial number indicate it is in fact a Finnbear?
3. Is the asking price a little or a lot high?
I appreciate your responses..Thanks

Based on the 6 digit serial number, it is a Garcia era deluxe made between 1972 and 1978. It could have either the open (older) style bolt shroud or the newer closed style. It is a Finnbear, as are all of the long actions Sako made (L61R, AIII, AV, and L691) up until the 75 series. Price is fair - most good condition deluxes of that era are in the $900-1200 range.

I'm a big fan of walnut and stainless - here are a couple of pix of my stainless 75 in a deluxe stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Live Oak; 03/16/07.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Okay someone asked a little while back difference between models:

L49R is the Sako Vixen - short action for .222's
L57R is the Sako Forrester - medium action for .243, .308 so on
L61R is the Sako Finnbear - Long action for .25/06, .270, .30/06

All the same rifle and actions , just long, shorts action lengths...

Untill 1979, when they decided to make five action lengths instead of three and number them A11, A111 A1v AV and AV Magnum...

The A11 were still Sako Vixen's, A111 were Forresters and so on, its just a numbering for the action lengths much the same as Sako do with the Sako 75...The rifles were the same action and models, with some very minor differences with the older Sako's...

...in 1992 I think they started up the L691 591 models which were not received that favourably and in 1997 they completely redesigned the action and called it the Sako 75.
The Sako 75 action bears no relationship to the "classic" Sako's of the previous decades.

(As for "Garcia" rifles and "Stoeger" rifles, it doesnt matter if its pre Garcia post whoever or whatever they were just the distributers in the States.)

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
A few morer questions for those in the know:

1. Can one expect a 70s or 80 Sako (still in 30-06' with premium ammo) to also shoot an inch or better at 100 yards, or is this a somewhat recent selling point?

2. I have found the Model 75s in SS (NIB) from $1039.00 to $1299.00. Why the price difference other than the shops want to make even more money on the sale?

3. A new Model 85 (wood/blue) in a local shop is going for $1449.00. 200 smacks more than the 75 SS. Is the price difference primarily for the wood or are there differences in the actions that warrant the higher price?

I appreciate all the posts here as I am about to drop some serious coins on one of these and want to make an educated decision.
Thanks.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finnlight......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The new Sako 85's have a bit different action to the 75's..a semi controlled feeding feature....also a new 'look'.

The 70'- 80's rifles will shoot MOA and are justifyably famous for their accuracy, as are the others. With modern rifles its a berreta 'selling point' but previously its why Sako is known in the first place, for thier accuracy.

Any of these rifles will shoot better than you need them to, will function flawlessly and are better made than most factory rifles...buy the one you like...personally I like the older models, but then most of my rifles are 'older'...I guess if I had the money i would buy a Sako 85, but theres nothing wrong with the older Finnbears and if you can get one with a excellent condition barrel, then you have saved some money and got yourself some Finnish elegance...be aware, the older Sako's are heavy rifles...all Sako's are generally. Even the 75 Finnlight is a heavy rifle for a "light' model....

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 03/17/07.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I've decided on a M75 stainless/synthetic in 30-06. Anyone have one they would like to comment about. Accuracy - bullets/loads it prefers, fit and functionality of the synthetic stock, and any other comments would be appreciated.

Lastly - the dealer in your are who seems to have these at a very good price?

Thanks for looking......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finnlight.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I've decided on a M75 stainless/synthetic in 30-06. Anyone have one they would like to comment about.

Had one in .308 Win. Very nice rifle! Enjoy, you got a top-shelf firearm there!

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't miss the boat, you'll thank me later......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
T
Need some advise. I am considering the purchess of a Sako AV mannlicher in 7mm magnum that is NIB. It has some outstanding color and grain to the wood and the gun has the palm swell and barrel band sling swivel. I have always liked full stocked rifles and have a Styer and Ruger international. I ahve always thought that Sako made a heck of gun and this is really pretty. THe most information that I can come up with is that this gun was most likly made in the 1978 -1980 period. Can anyone give me any more information on this rifle. I has a 19.5 inch barrel and has the box. Some one told me it is the Anniversery model but I have no idea. THe anniversary model lists in the gun values blue book as 7mm magnum only and has a value price of $2700. I would like to know what a fair price opinion for this rifle might be. As I said, it is NIB and a pretty mannlicher style AV with a box. THanks to all you Sako fans.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.