Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PJ65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Looking to upgrade my from my old Sherpa Snow claws. Looking for a good all around snowshoe, trails, off trail, etc. I weigh 185 without gear or pack. What do you guys like?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like the traction and lightish weight of my MSR's. Model is the "Revo Explore" and they measure about 7" wide & 25" long. I did get the extensions that can easily be added on for more flotation, I'm about 6' & 225, and usually hike with a pack. They do great on firmer snow. A little more flotation would be nice in the soft stuff, but they still work.

I particularly like how quick and easy the bindings are to use. Pretty quick getting the snowshoes on my boots, and they stay on securely.

Last winter I was "guiding" people on easy hikes at the local ski resort as well as doing my own recreational snowshoeing and hunting a bit on them. About the same as my norma winter usage, but with the guiding added in two or three days a week.

The shoes were 3 or 4 years old - and Both Bindings Broke! MSR gave me a good price on the replacement bindings, but they weren't free. The new bindings appear to be stronger, better built/engineered than the old ones.

So - good & bad - mostly good. I'd buy 'em again.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maine Guide Rabbit Hunters.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
MSR revolution ascent. I bought the tails too. Im 6 feet 225. They work good going up and down hill. Steep down hill in deep snow is a bit tricky. I have to really sidehill. Ive tried in waist deep snow and you did sink down quite a bit. 4 years and no issues. If using in exclusively deep ( 3 feet snow) maybe get feedback on a another brand too. Otherwise pretty happy with them. I think MSR usually has a Holiday sale. Ive never tried with a heavy pack. Most Ive carried in pack was around 15 lbs. The bindings work better with a stiffer hiking boot compare to a softer pack boot it seemed.

https://www.msrgear.com/snowshoes/ascent-series/revo-ascent-snowshoes/revo-ascent.html

Last edited by ribka; 11/02/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree and really like MSR. I think it was Brad who pointed me to MSR about 15 yrs ago. Replaced my traditional Native Canadian Cree handmade snowshoes which now hang above the fireplace.

I'd go this route: https://www.msrgear.com/snowshoes/ascent-series/lightning-ascent-snowshoes/lightning-ascent.html and get the 30" model which would allow you to carry a heavy pack, pull a heavy sled or give you more loft.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MSR Lightning Ascent hands down the best shoes you can have

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
PJ65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Got a pair of ash and rawhide modified bear paws from my old forestry days. Hanging on the wall now

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PJ65

Got a pair of ash and rawhide modified bear paws from my old forestry days. Hanging on the wall now

Yup, I still have my old 10x56 wood & rawhide snowshoes that I bought used in the mid 1970's. They're fun to use now and then, but I need some new bindings for them. Can't beat the cool look of a traditional snowshoe.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I don't think they can be beat from a use standpoint, let alone looks.

I have yet to try a synthetic snowshoe that works as well as a quality traditional woven set, to include MSR.

That said from a hunting standpoint I have found few hunts that they're useful for l, except spring bear, ptarmagin and one late season cow tag I had. If the snow is more than knee deep, the critters usually have migrated out of there anyhow. I am sure other exceptions exist, but I can't think of any.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Me and several colleagues are staying with the storied, old school Atlas 1033s.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For all round use in traditional wood/rawhide I would recommend Iverson and their 10"x36" modified bear paw. My first pair of snowshoes were Snocraft Alaskan trail model 10"x56" and found they worked good in open country but in brush/timber not so good. My Iverson works great in most conditions and they look good on the wall, too.

https://iversonssnowshoes.com/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Really nice ceiling.

Is that a snakeskin?

Things get really dry up there?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
P
PJ65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I
Personally, I don't think they can be beat from a use standpoint, let alone looks.

I have yet to try a synthetic snowshoe that works as well as a quality traditional woven set, to include MSR.

That said from a hunting standpoint I have found few hunts that they're useful for l, except spring bear, ptarmagin and one late season cow tag I had. If the snow is more than knee deep, the critters usually have migrated out of there anyhow. I am sure other exceptions exist, but I can't think of any.

Use the hell out of them for coyotes.

P
PJ65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks for the input.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PJ65
Thanks for the input.

Then keep on keeping on....I guess.
I've called coyotes a lot in the southern Idaho desert and foothills and have never needed snowshoes. How high up in elevation do you go for them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Really nice ceiling.

Is that a snakeskin?

Things get really dry up there?

Rattlesnake. Normally we are on the humid side in warm months and in winter we get a lot of heavy wet snow.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
PJ65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Go where they are. 5000-6000.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Similar elevation to where I've called, in Cassia County and the Owhyees. Different experiences I guess.

Good luck.

P
PJ65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Fremont, Butte, Bonneville , Lemhi counties

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the MSR Lightnings as they are available in 30" length; if you're in packed snow conditions all the time you can go shorter- if you encounter powder much you want the 30" length AND the tails

30" is plenty nimble for snowshoes

I have shorter snowshoes and if I know for sure it's going to be packed snow, I'll take them, if it's powder or a question mark- then the Lightnings; if I was forced to own just one pair, it would be an easy choice smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,523
Posts18,452,769
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.