Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TomA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's that time in life when the old body can't keep up. I have been bow hunting Colorado for the past 26-27 years as a non resident. Each year I have usually just put in for over the counter either sex elk with a couple bear and deer tags mixed in. I have bow hunted for over 45 years and now at 70 years old the joints are starting to give me issues. Last year I prepared some 6 months before season by pulling my fishing bow back about 40 times a day to get in shape and gradually moved up to pulling my compound hunting back 20-30 times a day. I thought I was prepared but this year while hunting I tried to draw on a legal bull and could not get over the hump and come to full draw. Luckily my hunting partner was in the right spot in his climbing stand and he got the elk. I tried to explain to myself as it was just a cold morning and my muscles were tight, etc.

I will be 71 next January so almost 72 by come next hunting season. I looked at the Colorado ADA (Accommodation Permit Application) for possibility of using a crossbow so I can continue to archery hunt with my younger hunting partner. I was very disappointed to find that as a non resident you must have the ADA form filled out and certified by a Doctor in Colorado. How do I get that done? Drive from Texas to Colorado, make a Doctors appointment and get checked out by someone I have never met and doesn't know my medical history. Let's see, that's about $500 in fuel $100-$125 for Doctors appointment plus time and no guarantee that Colorado Parks & Wildlife will accept my request for waiver. Hate to think of not being in the Colorado mountains come this September with my hunting partner. I know some folks think hunting with a crossbow is not archery hunting but when you reach my age and you want to be in the woods hunting in September you may think twice. Rant over. Tom

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sorry to hear that Tom.
I hope you can figure out a solution. Time marches on, and none of us are immune to it's effects.
I can't see open sights well enough to muzzleloader hunt CO, and damn near can't see my sight pins well enough to bow hunt any more.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How much weight are you pulling? You might just need to back off 5 or 10lb.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
For me its the draw cycle
Todays faster bows hurt me at 60#.
Can draw older bows comfortably at 70#.

Got bashed at work Mon.
54# recurve was brutal.
In decent shape, but arthritis now.
Weather changes slam me.

TomA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Bowtech Destroyer 50-60 lb bow that is currently set at about 52 lbs. It is still plenty fast enough but I am not feeling comfortable going any lower poundage for big game like elk and bear. I may try shortening the draw length and changing my anchor point and see what that does. I wish Colorado would consider an age (say 70 years old) are allowed to apply for the ADA (Accommodation Permit Application) for both resident and non resident. That will let us old timers to keep doing what we love. In 28 years of hunting Colorado I have taken one cow elk and 2 bears so it's not about filling tags, it's about opportunity.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m a few months shy of 70. Been bow hunting since 1977. Up until 3-4 years ago, I used 70 plus pounds. I’m at 62 pounds now and doing ok, but I do shoot several times a week year round and lift weights a couple times a week.
If I were you, I’d try a 50-55 pound draw weight. If you can shoot that ok, get some good coc BHs like Magnus Stingers or Iron Will, and go kill something.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A lot of women and recurve shooters are shooting less than 50lb and still killing elk. You just have to get closer and be more picky about what you shoot at.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two years ago when I was 58 I almost died from West Nile Virus/Easter Equine Encephalitis complications. I got it in late August and recovered by mid September 30 pounds lighter and so weakened I could barely walk let alone draw my 70 pound Bowtech bow. I had a Mathews bow as a backup and I bought replacement 50 pound limbs for it which I was able to work up to after a lot of hard work. I never felt "undergunned" with the lighter weight bow but when it got cold late in the season it was still a bit much. I use Montec G-5 broadheads so I did not have the issue regarding mechanicals at the lower draw weight.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
TomA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm going to do whatever it takes to continue the sport I love so much. I have a lot of options/ideas on how to start doing what needs to be done. At 150 lbs and still in pretty good shape I need to develop a game plan right away and stick to it. Start shooting my bow every day is one of the big ones. Colorado bow hunting is still probable if I do my part. My broadheads have always been Muzzy 4 blade 130 grain. I have a stockpile of these I purchased many years ago. Time to go shoot. Tom

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Agree, turn your bow down a few pounds. I am 63 and getting there. I now draw my bow a couple times when it’s cold and I am in a tree stand. I find that not only my muscles loosen up, but the bow itself is easier to break over.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, Tom, go to your local pro shop too and shoot some newer bows. The Bowtech Destroyer lines are aggressive speed bows, and more aggressive cams usually equals a stiffer draw. You may find some newer bows have a smoother draw. Just an idea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm getting osteoarthristis in both thumbs. Hands ache all the time. It comes and goes, but sometimes I cannot hold a bag of popcorn! Seriously could not pick it up. Does make a bow hard to shoot. Heck, a few years ago I had t ask someone to clean my dove limit. I could shoot, but could not clean the bird.

Getting older sucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TomA, if your “chassis” is still doing okay, aka legs and lungs, I’d advise you to bite the bullet and try to get the ADA permit. Perhaps it’s possible to get certified by having a Colorado MD review your records, which would save you a trip. Regardless, it’s worth a shot to be able to continue doing what you like.

I’m a couple years behind you and every year it’s getting tougher to get around in the woods, and dragging deer out by myself is a chore. I’m adapting by hunting fewer days, and have a game cart stashed in the woods where I hunt. Also have game bags in my pack so I can pack out meat only. Sooner or later, I may have to switch to small game and birds, or pay to hunt where I’ll have someone to do the hard work. Ain’t giving up without a struggle.

BTW, I’ve watched some videos that suggest that razor-sharp cut-on-contact heads on heavy arrows will take really big animals when shot from light bows, even down to 40 or so pounds. That may be the easiest way to go for you. You lose some speed of course, but with sights, that shouldn’t be a big deal. Worth looking into.

Don’t give up on this.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Time marches on! I’m not far behind you!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tom, I would call Colorado Parks & Wildlife and explain your situation. The few times I've called they've been very helpful. They accept out of state hunter safety cards. Maybe the requirement only applies to residents or you could get an exception.

Bill

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In this time of Covid 19 a lot of doctor appointments are done via Zoom with a laptop or phone. Maybe that could be an option?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Raked all the leaves.....neighbors trees dumped all in my yard. Bit sore. Push mowed today. My real job is handling parts, about 30 #.....a couple hundred hot ones a night.
Standinh on concrete.

Im sore all the time and pushing 60.

Shot my 54# recurve before work.
Ugh.

But finished strong, felt good. Proly not be able to get out bed tomorrow LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 11/10/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Xbowed a small buck yesterday. Xbow makes shooting them easier, but that mile-long drag is still a killer! Oh my aching bones!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You've got me only by a couple years Tom, but I certainly understand your situation.
I have done physical work my entire life and still have decent upper body strength for my age, but a far cry from 10 years ago. Still bowhunting here with my OLD Browning compound which I have set and tuned at 53 lbs tipped with 100gr Slick Tricks.
Exclusively need just one shot which almost always gets a pass through.
Don't be afraid to lower the poundage, so long as you have it tuned properly for that reduction.

-Ken

PS. Bought a new Ten Point crossbow this past spring just in case! LOL.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hope you can get some satisfaction , Tom. I would be blessed to still be bowhunting at your age with injuries creeping up on me. I agree you could drop some draw weight and still be fine. I have to shoot at least 6-8 arrows before I sit for a hunt. I have thought about taking my exercise band with me to stay loose! Good luck on your future hunts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

511 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,230
Posts18,447,730
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.