Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tom,

I'm 68 and have been building my own house the last 5 years. I tore muscles is both arms lifting heavy 8x8 beams. I used to shoot a jennings 80 lb and could not do it anymore so I went to a crossbow. I hate it. It just does not have the satisfaction factor of a compound, recurve or longbow.

Anyhow, the crossbow broke a part and while waiting for the shop to fix it I had them string up a Matthews VXR set at 60 lbs to see if I could shoot it. A very knowledgeable woman did it and she set it at 50 lbs saying that is what she hunts with and kills deer every year. I had no problem and was shocked at the improvements since that old Jennings. She cranked it up to 60 lbs and I could still do it but I could feel the difference.

I do not think you will like the crossbow idea after all those years of a compound. I suggest going to a good bow shop and trying some newer bows at lighter weights. I think you may be pleasantly surprised at the updates available. It all about shot placement anyhow and 50 will kill an elk just as dead.

And you said it's mostly about being out there, so keep on keeping on.

My best wishes to keeping us old guys in the woods.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Diesel
Tom,

I'm 68 and have been building my own house the last 5 years. I tore muscles is both arms lifting heavy 8x8 beams. I used to shoot a jennings 80 lb and could not do it anymore so I went to a crossbow. I hate it. It just does not have the satisfaction factor of a compound, recurve or longbow.

Anyhow, the crossbow broke a part and while waiting for the shop to fix it I had them string up a Matthews VXR set at 60 lbs to see if I could shoot it. A very knowledgeable woman did it and she set it at 50 lbs saying that is what she hunts with and kills deer every year. I had no problem and was shocked at the improvements since that old Jennings. She cranked it up to 60 lbs and I could still do it but I could feel the difference.

I do not think you will like the crossbow idea after all those years of a compound. I suggest going to a good bow shop and trying some newer bows at lighter weights. I think you may be pleasantly surprised at the updates available. It all about shot placement anyhow and 50 will kill an elk just as dead.

And you said it's mostly about being out there, so keep on keeping on.

My best wishes to keeping us old guys in the woods.

+1. I have 4 bows sitting right here - a Matthews VXR, a Prime Black 5, PSE Evoke and Hoyt REDWRX RX-4. The VXR is the smoothest and easiest to draw, for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SKeen,
Yeah, I really liked that bow and hope to buy one at some point. Not cheap though. Funds are low right now and season is near over. Need time to get comfortable with a bow before hunting with it so maybe early next year. Thinking 31.5 length.

TomA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I got a response from Colorado and it seems I misinterpreted their ADA statement (CPW does not honor accommodation permits from other states and or countries). It only means you have to use the application form from Colorado to apply in Colorado. If you have a disability that is recognized from another state you must reapply using the Colorado ADA Accommodation Permit Application. Still in the hunt. Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mile-long drag is still a killer

Stopped that years ago. If I cant get relatively close with a 4 wheeler or a pirogue, they get to walk. Last long drag I did was in '09. When it was over, I said 'never again'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
this week i turn 67 years of age and last year at 66 years of age i did go to a x-bow which was difficult for me to do but with my bad surgery/medically rebuilt shoulders that hurt all the time, i just can`t handle the pain drawing ,holding any weight,and or releasing an arrow anymore. i have been involved in archery for over 55 years now ,i was a climbing power linemen for around 35 years and my lineman job was hard and very hard on shoulders too. so i understand and know all about old age and bowhunting it just sucks because now i have the time and i loved bowhunting elk in the mountains of Montana > i mis the bugle of the elk . Montana does not allow x-bows either for old crippled people like us either. good luck,pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yup, very much agree...if I get cold, my 55# compound gets tough to pull. I dress warmer, upper body, and draw the bow at least twice an hour. Seems to be working. I also do some isometric exercising while in the tree stand. Even at 40 degrees, if your sitting for a few hours, you get cold.
I also changed were I sit this year...put up a ground blind a few weeks before season started, deer got used to it..and I sat in that this year. It made a very big difference in how much warmer I stayed..yet I could still draw the bow..deer wouldn`t see or hear me. Also very nice when it rains or snows.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TomA
It's that time in life when the old body can't keep up. I have been bow hunting Colorado for the past 26-27 years as a non resident. Each year I have usually just put in for over the counter either sex elk with a couple bear and deer tags mixed in. I have bow hunted for over 45 years and now at 70 years old the joints are starting to give me issues. Last year I prepared some 6 months before season by pulling my fishing bow back about 40 times a day to get in shape and gradually moved up to pulling my compound hunting back 20-30 times a day. I thought I was prepared but this year while hunting I tried to draw on a legal bull and could not get over the hump and come to full draw. Luckily my hunting partner was in the right spot in his climbing stand and he got the elk. I tried to explain to myself as it was just a cold morning and my muscles were tight, etc.

I will be 71 next January so almost 72 by come next hunting season. I looked at the Colorado ADA (Accommodation Permit Application) for possibility of using a crossbow so I can continue to archery hunt with my younger hunting partner. I was very disappointed to find that as a non resident you must have the ADA form filled out and certified by a Doctor in Colorado. How do I get that done? Drive from Texas to Colorado, make a Doctors appointment and get checked out by someone I have never met and doesn't know my medical history. Let's see, that's about $500 in fuel $100-$125 for Doctors appointment plus time and no guarantee that Colorado Parks & Wildlife will accept my request for waiver. Hate to think of not being in the Colorado mountains come this September with my hunting partner. I know some folks think hunting with a crossbow is not archery hunting but when you reach my age and you want to be in the woods hunting in September you may think twice. Rant over. Tom

I feel your pain, or something like it. Had to switch to the crossbow. Hoping to go out Friday with it for the first time. I don't like them, but I like quitting even less, so ...
That bit about being forced to use a Colorado doc seems dumb. Good luck!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TomA
Well I got a response from Colorado and it seems I misinterpreted their ADA statement (CPW does not honor accommodation permits from other states and or countries). It only means you have to use the application form from Colorado to apply in Colorado. If you have a disability that is recognized from another state you must reapply using the Colorado ADA Accommodation Permit Application. Still in the hunt. Tom

Ah, that's better. Good luck.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Oldman3

Stopped that years ago. If I cant get relatively close with a 4 wheeler or a pirogue, they get to walk. Last long drag I did was in '09. When it was over, I said 'never again'.

Copy that. Fortunately, I find cutting them up and backpacking them fairly easy, if I can take multiple trips. I hiked out my first black bear this year at about a mile. But I had a lot of time to do it and relatively little vertical to contend with. There's always the chance some critter gets some meat, but I can live with that. No probs so far.

Having to put an either Sitka Blacktail buck into a hunting daypack a couple years ago SUCKED though.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be careful what you ask for.

Still hunting with a crossbow is not as fun as it may seem.

They are very awkward to pack around, a lighter set up might be a better deal.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by Oldman3

Copy that. Fortunately, I find cutting them up and backpacking them fairly easy, if I can take multiple trips. I hiked out my first black bear this year at about a mile. But I had a lot of time to do it and relatively little vertical to contend with. There's always the chance some critter gets some meat, but I can live with that. No probs so far.

Having to put an either Sitka Blacktail buck into a hunting daypack a couple years ago SUCKED though.

No vehicles allowed on WMAs.
I had a deer sled cached nearby, which was some help. I also have a nice wheeled cart, but some dummy left the key in his other pants.....

Originally Posted by Angus1895
Be careful what you ask for.

Still hunting with a crossbow is not as fun as it may seem.

They are very awkward to pack around, a lighter set up might be a better deal.

Roger that; might have to look into one of the compact ones next year. Carrying the quiver in my pack helps with both the weight and form factor issues. It fits in the water bladder pocket perfectly.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
here in Minnesota once you turn 60 years of age x-bows are legal without a doctor slip application. my question is why can`t that be a law nationally ? this would make it so much simpler and western states would even make more money with us old dudes hunting out there more. really do these young archer guys feel us golden age hunters going to get more animals hunting? heck most of us can`t walk well anymore , so just wait when these young archers get old : they will whine to have the x-bow law changed so they at their older golden age can still archery hunt. this golden age is not so golden if your a young archer and are against x-bows your day will come when you are old, you will have only 2 choices quit and stay home or find a state that lets you use a x-bow during archery season. many young archers have no respect anymore for senior bowhunters,these young archers are very selfish by talking against old hunters being allowed to use a x-bow . here is a true example : my dear old friend from Montana was a dafted frontline Marine in Viet Nam hit with a mortar with a horrible shoulder injury,was put medically back together has healed up the best that could be done,loved archery but he had no physical ability to draw a bow again, Montana did give him a free vehicle license plate as a wounded veteran of wars but never ever can he use a x-bow during archery season legally, that`s shameful Montana !

Last edited by pete53; 12/12/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
my question is why can`t that be a law nationally
Because the feds have no business telling a state how to run it's fish and game dept. Believe me, you do NOT want them getting involved.

Idaho allows disabled hunters to use a crossbow with a doctor's permit. Age has nothing to do with it. That's during the archery season. Anyone can use one during the general seasons.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jennings, wow, been 30 or so years since I shot a Jennings.
I’ll be 70 in six weeks. Shot 70-75 pounds for 40 years. Backed off to 62 pounds several years ago. I’ve shot through elk, aoudad, brown bear and quite a few other critters since then. A medium heavy arrow, 450 grains or so, with a cut on contact Bh and 60 pounds will work on any game in Noam. I believe 50 pounds will do the same, but marginal on moose and elk.

NRA Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.