Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gunner500
BTW DF, yesterday afternoon I got a text with a tracking number from the Buddy I loaned the rifle too, his cousin is a high dollar world traveler welder, he'd heard about me setting his cousin up with rifle, range finder and dope card, Buds cousin ask for my address, Bud gave it to him, he didn't think I'd mind, tracking number is for a package coming with 5 boxes of 147gr Hornady ELD's, Buds cousin is sending them to me from his personal stash as thanks, I believe I'm set with the little Swede for awhile. cool

My old Buddy is a shooter, but had to sell off all his stuff because leukemia is trying to take his life, we've already been through the whole MD Anderson treatment/marrow deal, he was pale and had already lost his hair due to the chemo when he came to get the rifle, so as you can see, this wasn't just a regular antelope hunt, I hope my friend lives long enough to chase mule deer at the same place out West next year. smile

You're a good man, Gunner. Good things should happen to good men more often.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
BTW DF, yesterday afternoon I got a text with a tracking number from the Buddy I loaned the rifle too, his cousin is a high dollar world traveler welder, he'd heard about me setting his cousin up with rifle, range finder and dope card, Buds cousin ask for my address, Bud gave it to him, he didn't think I'd mind, tracking number is for a package coming with 5 boxes of 147gr Hornady ELD's, Buds cousin is sending them to me from his personal stash as thanks, I believe I'm set with the little Swede for awhile. cool

My old Buddy is a shooter, but had to sell off all his stuff because leukemia is trying to take his life, we've already been through the whole MD Anderson treatment/marrow deal, he was pale and had already lost his hair due to the chemo when he came to get the rifle, so as you can see, this wasn't just a regular antelope hunt, I hope my friend lives long enough to chase mule deer at the same place out West next year. smile

That has turned into a very special rifle. Blessings to you gunner.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sample of one but I took a large adult cow at just over 200 yards with my 22” barrel 6.5 Creedmoor using the 142 Nosler ABLR coming out at 2700. She was feeding, angled ever so slightly away. Slipped it in the crease on an uphill angle, bullet took out heart, lungs, destroyed the offside scapula and left about a quarter size exit wound.

She flipped, landed on her back and slid down the snowy hill about 50’, and was probably dead before she stopped sliding. There was a big streak of blood down her slide path. Dramatic DRT.

Based on that performance, I’d have absolutely no reservations about putting that same bullet through any elk out to your stated max of 600 yards with my 6.5 Creedmoor.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I just saw the buck my bud killed. Even in the Creed, the 130 NAB is deadly, expanded well, good exit. Deer was gutted and skinned, hanging in the cooler.

Bud said the lungs were messed up, heart pretty well destroyed. He saved all the meat.

DF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing I like best about most of the Nosler bullets I shoot, especially now that I'm using the Accubond more- is that they have a very wide and forgiving performance envelope.... It doesn't surprise me that the 140 grain bullets would work great at my 26 Nosler and at Creed velocities at any reasonable distances....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sheister
The thing I like best about most of the Nosler bullets I shoot, especially now that I'm using the Accubond more- is that they have a very wide and forgiving performance envelope.... It doesn't surprise me that the 140 grain bullets would work great at my 26 Nosler and at Creed velocities at any reasonable distances....

Yep, reportedly designed that way, to have terminal performance much like a Partition but with a sleeker profile.

They work and as you note, perform well at a wide range of velocities.

My hunting bud used the 160 NAB in his 7RM on African PG, uses the 140 NAB in his 26 Nos and the 130 NAB in his 6.5 Creed on WT’s. He’s an Accubond fan and with good reason.

DF

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
darn hard to beat 130gr NAB in the 6.5 creedmoor near or far. deadly on deer & are deer are pretty good size.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by unahunt
darn hard to beat 130gr NAB in the 6.5 creedmoor near or far. deadly on deer & are deer are pretty good size.

Light enough to be relatively fast, heavy enough to be impressively lethal.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Sample of one but I took a large adult cow at just over 200 yards with my 22” barrel 6.5 Creedmoor using the 142 Nosler ABLR coming out at 2700. She was feeding, angled ever so slightly away. Slipped it in the crease on an uphill angle, bullet took out heart, lungs, destroyed the offside scapula and left about a quarter size exit wound.

She flipped, landed on her back and slid down the snowy hill about 50’, and was probably dead before she stopped sliding. There was a big streak of blood down her slide path. Dramatic DRT.

Based on that performance, I’d have absolutely no reservations about putting that same bullet through any elk out to your stated max of 600 yards with my 6.5 Creedmoor.

What powder/load? Swede performance.

As DF and others......the 130 NAB has been my go to in 6.5 for years, no complaints, accurate, deadly.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for all the kind comments Men, i'll pass em along to my old Friend, DF, sounds like your Bud has it lined out with the Accubonds, never a bad choice imho, and yes, you have him 'blueprinted' ; ]

Trump Won!
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I personally have never killed an elk with any 6.5MM. But I have killed about 15 deer and antelope with 2 6.5 Swede rifles and one 6.5X54 Mannlicher.

I have also seen a bunch of deer and antelope killed with 260s Swedes, 6.5 Grendels and a few now with 6.5 Creedmoors.

Of all the elk I have seen killed with 6.5s, (those I can remember here and now as I type this)
6 killed with 6.5X55s.
1 with a 264 Win Mag.
5 with 260 Remingtons
3 killed with 6.5 CM

Various bullet have been used. Ranging from very poor to OK, to excellent.
If I were to pick just one as a deer and elk bullet to "marry a rifle to for all hunting" it would be the 140 grain Nosler Partition. Information strongly suggests to me that the AccuBonds may be just as good, but I have not had enough experience with 6.5MM AccuBonds to swear to that yet

Last edited by szihn; 11/08/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Partition, as the one they all want to compare to, the Accubond compares very well.

I use the Partition when it's the best shooting bullet in a particular rifle, am never disappointed when that happens.

Overall, the NAB is a great bullet and does what it was designed to do.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by szihn
I personally have never killed an elk with any 6.5MM. But I have killed about 15 deer and antelope with 2 6.5 Swede rifles and one 6.5X54 Mannlicher.

I have also seen a bunch of deer and antelope killed with 260s Swedes, 6.5 Grendels and a few now with 6.5 Creedmoors.

Of all the elk I have seen killed with 6.5s, (those I can remember here and now as I type this)
6 killed with 6.5X55s.
1 with a 264 Win Mag.
5 with 260 Remingtons
3 killed with 6.5 CM

Various bullet have been used. Ranging from very poor to OK, to excellent.
If I were to pick just one as a deer and elk bullet to "marry a rifle to for all hunting" it would be the 140 grain Nosler Partition. Information strongly suggests to me that the AccuBonds may be just as good, but I have not had enough experience with 6.5MM AccuBonds to swear to that yet

Good post, S. I have not, nor probably will not hunt elk with my Creeds, or .260s. That being said, I have seen bullet performance on LOTS of deer and I would not feel handicapped at all with a 6.5. I, also, believe that the Partition is at the top of the list, but Hornady Interlocks, Speer Gold Dots and of course the coppers can be added to the list.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In my 6.5x55 I got started with 129-130 grain bullets and stayed there, this is on deer and pigs, nothing bigger yet. I used Nosler Accubonds, Barnes TSX, Hornaday IB & AB& ELD-X, Berger, and maybe some others I forgot. All of them did well, personally I don't care for the amount of lead and blood shot meat from the Bergers at closer ranges, but they are effective at putting things down. I will give the LRX and the Scenars a try at some point.

The ELD-X is closer to the A-Max in construction. The ELD-M has a thicker more tapered jacket. I liked the A-Max in 70 gr. .223 and 105 in 243, but I think I like the ELD-M better.and will put some to the test shortly I hope.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have had very good success on deer with Berger 140 gr Hunting VLDs in my .260 Rem and 6.5 -.284.

I like to hit elk harder, 230 gr Berger OTM, .300 WM.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
hornady 143 eld x

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've only used the 140 Amax outta the Creed..... Only the 147 gr ELDM outta the PRC, 130 Berger hybrids and 130 AB's outta the 264 mag, and 120 BT's and 130 TSX's and 120 TTSX's from the 260.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have killed deer and antelope with 6.5 Nosler Ballistic Tip 140 gr
I have killed deer and antelope with 6.5 Nosler Accubond 140 gr

The ballistic tip always worked better.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Posted this before but 130gr Sierra Gamechangers have been solid and consistent performers for me at 260 speeds.

Bull elk @ 527yds - 2 shots behind shoulder (1 pass through and 2nd under offside hide w nice mushroom) bull made it 10ft
Muley buck @ 490yds - pass through, drt
Muley buck @ 248yds - pass through, made it 20yds
Large boar black bear @ 75yds -broke on-side shoulder and pass through, 20yds
Doe antelope @ 350ish - pass through, drt
Doe antelope @ 300 - pass through, drt

Most accurate and consistent on game performance I’ve ever had out of a bullet. Acts like an AccuBond with a better BC.

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use Hammer Shock Hammer 130 grainers for deer, elk, pigs, and anything else I find in the lower forty-eight. Exits from any angle.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.