Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mag410 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Winchester loaded a batch of 7.62x51mm with 135 gr Sierra Varminter bullets for an Australian government contract.

I assume for predator control? I assume 7.62X51mm for some kind of semi-auto rifle, but port pressure was not part of the specification? I would be interested in hearing results.

How come "they" came to the US to get these loaded?

Michael

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Where did you hear this?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
mag410 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I watched them come off the loader at Winchester.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mag410
I watched them come off the loader at Winchester.

It's pretty cool to have an "insider" here on the forum. Thanks for sharing the information you have!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
mag410 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Retired, but my memory is pretty good. ....sometimes....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They used to use the Speer 130gn HP for feral control. That bullet has a great reputation as a pig bullet in the .308. I guess they got a bit of a deal on the Sierra bullet instead.

mag410 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Accuracy was pretty good for Winchester. Head and shoulders better than Winchester Q3031 (M80) 7.61X51mm which may be worst .308 diameter bullet in existence.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Winchester loaded a batch of 7.62x51mm with 135 gr Sierra Varminter bullets for an Australian government contract.

I assume for predator control? I assume 7.62X51mm for some kind of semi-auto rifle, but port pressure was not part of the specification? I would be interested in hearing results.

Michael

Because Australia is bloody useless at manufacturing stuff these days. No car industry anymore, just about importing all petrol and diesel now with about six weeks reserve of diesel, only two or three oil refineries left in the whole country, we are buying submarines from France as the last lot we tried to build here didn't work (too noisy). We have just about closed down all the important manufacturing industries and rely on importing just about everything. We have put alot of our eggs in the China basket and now it's starting to backfire on us.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Probably helicopter shoots with SLR's, damage mitigation .

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Elvis

Michael

Because Australia is bloody useless at manufacturing stuff these days. No car industry anymore, just about importing all petrol and diesel now with about six weeks reserve of diesel, only two or three oil refineries left in the whole country, we are buying submarines from France as the last lot we tried to build here didn't work (too noisy). We have just about closed down all the important manufacturing industries and rely on importing just about everything. We have put alot of our eggs in the China basket and now it's starting to backfire on us.

HEY, cut it out man...we make a mean cup of coffee and there is a hairdressing salon on every corner!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Elvis

Michael

HEY, cut it out man...we make a mean cup of coffee and there is a hairdressing salon on every corner!

Yeah, and we still brew up some quality powders.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not to mention beer.

mag410 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Elvis[/quote
We have just about closed down all the important manufacturing industries and rely on importing just about everything. We have put alot of our eggs in the China basket and now it's starting to backfire on us.

If any good comes of the covid19 crisis it may be that the whole world comes to realize the danger of relying on a sworn enemy for domestic imports.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
So what is the load??? With those 135's it is probably screaming.......

Last edited by forsyth793; 12/28/20.
mag410 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I dis-remember exactly, the powder was one of the SMP series used in the 5.56 and 7.62x51, which would mean it has the anti-copper additive. The muzzle speed was nothing remarkable or I would remember. I do remember a run of .338 Lapua that was over 200 fps below advertised numbers. whistle

B
B
Don’t worry, same boat here in America. Now that sleepy Joe and the Ho are in charge, we’ll continue down the same path as before, with farming out all of our manufacturing to China and the likes for the Global new order.

It’s truly a shame that our elected officials are more concerned with lining their pockets and not doing what they were elected to do. I visited Australia and New Zealand back in 2017, around the time when Dastyari got caught with his hands in the cookie jar.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good old Sam. He was a slimy little rat.

B
B
Sounded like it, and a none to bright rat at that. Amazing how they all like to think their smarter than everyone until it bites them in the arse.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.