Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Anyone ever try Ozonics when coyote calling?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
would be a waste of money. 220 million olfactory receptors, the coyote would smell the ozone, the coffee on your breath, the ketchup that squeezed out of the burger you ate In your camo cloths last week, along with the rifle cleaning solution of your choosing, and your chosen deodorant, along with the fresh cow chit you stepped in on the way to your stand.

Play the wind, or waste your money wishing you would've played the wind.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yeah...I know all that stuff...Im actually thinking it might be of some use by the bad guys hiding contraband from dogs. If it would fool a coyote even a little....it might be worth looking into cause I dont think anything shy of a bear has a better nose...

I also wonder if it does fool deer if their olfactory system is set up differently, because it wouldn't be hard wired to the smells of prey...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
C
like TR said. 100% smell ya no matter what. He knows, I seen him on tv shows for a long time. He is older then e calls and tape players

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yeah...I figured in open air, you ain't gonna fool a coyote. Period. I will probably go ahead and experiment to see if I can fool a K9...but frankly I've never found a way to do the either...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You making lots of money on your import business?

[Linked Image from ]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Called three in last week. First one made a big circle at 250 or so yards. Before he got into my scent stream, a 40 gr ballistic tip killed him. The other two came in crosswind but fading down wind. My brother put a 40 gr ballistic tip in both at about 150 yards, before they got down wind. We were calling in very open country.
In either of those cases and many more that I recall, an Ozonics would not provide any benefit.

Last edited by dale06; 11/19/20.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Ozone is bad for you

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A Buzzard can smell 2 ounces of fresh killed meat 2 miles away up in the sky... try to fool one of them suckers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I watch those guys on YouTube hanging those things up, even in totally enclosed box blinds, and think, that’s almost as good a scam as Pet Psychology.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I watch those guys on YouTube hanging those things up, even in totally enclosed box blinds, and think, that’s almost as good a scam as Pet Psychology.

All about the money!!!!!!!!!!!

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ConradCA
You making lots of money on your import business?

You see right through me.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't forget to pair it with a Hecs suit...... whistle

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by MaxBB
Originally Posted by Pappy348

All about the money!!!!!!!!!!!

Precisely. Those guys using that stuff on their TV show are getting paid to have it plainly visible on camera. Whether it’s necessary or works is not the issue.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Given enough “set time” odor permeates everything. The canines ability to separate odors is another factor. The K9 will
Smell the odor in question but as far as an indication in a deep find…they have to be willing to accept they aren’t at source. I don’t think ozone would have any effect as the dog would separate the odors anyway. Maybe make the odor seem “deeper” if you will, but not conceal it.

Open air…no chance.

Isaiah 6:8

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TakeEm
Given enough “set time” odor permeates everything. The canines ability to separate odors is another factor. The K9 will
Smell the odor in question but as far as an indication in a deep find…they have to be willing to accept they aren’t at source. I don’t think ozone would have any effect as the dog would separate the odors anyway. Maybe make the odor seem “deeper” if you will, but not conceal it.

Open air…no chance.

As mentioned to an earlier poster, he sees right through me. Its all about the ability to hide contraband from a K9 ( I'm in K9..on the good guys side....) And you are right...open air, no way. Enclosed, if done properly, it can work. Otherwise what little studies have been done, it takes the dog twice as long to indicate on hidden people ( cant stop them from breathing) and significantly longer on contraband, and yeah, they will act like they aren't really sure of the source or its volume.
You are also right about the dog separating the odors, which it can do as long as the free radical "O" atom hasn't attached itself through long exposure.

I started this thread knowing if you can get it past a coyote, you can get it past any K9...

Last edited by ingwe; 12/30/20.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I gotcha. I’m also in K9 on the good side. We set stuff to simulate smuggler tactics to test dogs in training. Have not been able to beat them yet with realistic set times we see. But we are pushing our dogs to see what they can do, not setting up to fail where they can’t succeed but we make it hard. Stuff glued in PVC in gas tanks, etc. I haven’t seen use of ozone yet but interested to see what happens for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
. Its all about the ability to hide contraband from a K9 ( I'm in K9..on the good guys side....) And you are right...open air, no way. Enclosed, if done properly, it can work. Otherwise what little studies have been done, it takes the dog twice as long to indicate on hidden people ( cant stop them from breathing) and significantly longer on contraband, and yeah, they will act like they aren't really sure of the source or its volume.
You are also right about the dog separating the odors, which it can do as long as the free radical "O" atom hasn't attached itself through long exposure.

I started this thread knowing if you can get it past a coyote, you can get it past any K9...

Ingwe, I am really interested in what you are finding. I assume you are doing some testing with dogs you know?

From my attempts to fool coyote noses years ago, I concluded that maybe with the best odor eradication I could come up with at the time, it might delay full scent recognition for a few seconds. Sometimes the coyote just seemed puzzled at what he was smelling for a second or two, not that he didn't smell something but it was apparently a new scent combo to him. All of that is guess as to what was going on in the coyote's nose and brain, and results were not worth the effort.

You can run more controlled and measurable tests than my fooling around with wild coyotes, close up in bow hunting stands in thick brush.

Most of the testimonials re scent control that I have seen are declarations that the hunter got close to an animal, therefore the animal did not smell the hunter. All that proves is that the hunter got close. There are too many factors and I have gotten close to too many animals to buy that logic. We have no idea what the critter smelled or didn't smell. Tests with a trained dog would be far more definitive, and to the extent that you can reveal, I'm curious what you find as you try different ways to deceive a dog nose.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
With human scent control measures, I don’t think it’s an issue of scent elimination but an issue of perceived threat. The closer the animal is to the source of an odor, the more concentrated the odor is. My theory is that those products are reducing the concentration of human scent to a point the animals think the person is no threat at all when they are really closer than they smell, if that makes sense.

I have seen this when bow hunting deer especially. I am very careful about my scent. I have had deer down wind of me at 20 yards or less. I could tell they smell something but not sure of source/distance and the move on. Older deer who are more sensitive to the threat seem to not tolerate it as well but don’t blow the area/snort like if they bust ya 100% usually. You aren’t fooling their nose, you are giving the impression you are farther away than you really are (not a threat) as you said, it can buy a few seconds while they figure it out at best.

I also wear rubber boots with raccoon cover scent on them and watched a Coyote track me to my stand. Even if the rubber “blocks” foot odor you’re still creating ground disturbance odor. Deer usually sniff maybe where I step and move on, the Coyote tracked me right where I walked, until we locked eyes at fifteen yards and he was gone.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
If you already have one, may be worth a try. My limited experience with recent purchase for deer hunting is that they are effective in reducing odor in clothes and gear. And my truck...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 35 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.