Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For the most part, I detest reality TV. Actually, I detest most all kinds of TV.
The Last Alaskans is a notable exception.
Heads and shoulders above the rest of similar shows.
Out of production now, Discovery killed it off.
I have been binge watching re-runs the last few days.
Makes me miss Alaska badly.
Spent three years there long ago. Leaving was without doubt the single biggest mistake of my life.

In view of his youth, his experience, and his situation, I can honestly say Charlie is the only man on the Planet I am truly envious of.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
“All the drama occurs in the editing room” according to Cris Morse (Yukon Men, Life Below Zero) when I talked with him on phone this summer. “ The camera follows me around when I am just doing my stuff. No one in Alaska watch the shows anyway”. smile

The crew left their place on the Cosna ( upstream from mine) a couple weeks ago according to a text I got from Jennifer. Either they had enough footage to work with or they are pussies getting out just when things (winter) was getting interesting. Helicopter ain’t a bad way to travel during freeze up tho .....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've seen Yukon Men a couple times but I think thats canceled also?
Life Below Zero I never cared for. Don't know if its on or not.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It’s all complete [bleep].

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I lost any interest in the shows after an episode of Yukon Men where one of the self appointed know it alls was demonstrating reloading for a rifle. Of course he had to make it appear like he was handling nitro glycerin when he measured powder. And told the viewers if he put in even one kernel too much it would blow up his rifle.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Clydesdale

Are you referring The Last Alaskans or one of the other Alaska shows?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah

Guess I'll never know....... wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Last Alaskans is the only one i watch. Used to watch below zero, but Chip Halestone is just too weird

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Chip Halestone is just too weird

Never seen him, but I'll happily take your word for it!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Guess I'll never know....... wink

You’re better off. 👍

Originally Posted by hikerbum
Last Alaskans is the only one i watch. Used to watch below zero, but Chip Halestone is just too weird

He’s posted here in the past. Seems interesting.

Never seen any of the “reality” AK shows.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I tuned into the Last Alaskans once, hearing it was a reality show, I expected it would have a story of a laid off construction guy who had just been laid off after working his ass off for the season, showing up in town, buying a new rifle, going on a truly epic drunk, waking up a couple days later with tired looking lady of the evening, being kicked out of The Captain Cook, and finally discovering the only thing left in his wallet was an uncashed Alaska Permanent Fund check. But no, it was about some wierdos living in the bush with money from home.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That sounds way better than any ak reality show I've seen. But I must confess I haven't watched them all.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I tuned into the Last Alaskans once, hearing it was a reality show, I expected it would have a story of a laid off construction guy who had just been laid off after working his ass off for the season, showing up in town, buying a new rifle, going on a truly epic drunk, waking up a couple days later with tired looking lady of the evening, being kicked out of The Captain Cook, and finally discovering the only thing left in his wallet was an uncashed Alaska Permanent Fund check. But no, it was about some wierdos living in the bush with money from home.

What? I think you may have watched some other show.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Love all these shows, even though I know they are the reduction of editing. Knowing I will never be there, these shows feed the fantasy, so I watch all the time.

For the most part, I detest reality TV. Actually, I detest most all kinds of TV.
The Last Alaskans is a notable exception.
Heads and shoulders above the rest of similar shows.
Out of production now, Discovery killed it off.
I have been binge watching re-runs the last few days.
Makes me miss Alaska badly.
Spent three years there long ago. Leaving was without doubt the single biggest mistake of my life.

In view of his youth, his experience, and his situation, I can honestly say Charlie is the only man on the Planet I am truly envious of.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I enjoyed most of the people on the last Alaskans, but not all. Like some here, I used to live in ak and hunted quite a lot. One assignment I had was mountain rescue, during which I ran across hermits injured, frozen to death, folks dead due to plane crash, bear attack injuries, or folks lost in the bush. Of all the "Alaska " shows I found the last Alaskans the most realistic. Ymmv

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Charlie can build a fine cabin.

Trapping footage was excellent.

Who doesn't admire women that pack potent single action revolvers?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I enjoyed most of the people on the last Alaskans, but not all. Like some here, I used to live in ak and hunted quite a lot. One assignment I had was mountain rescue, during which I ran across hermits injured, frozen to death, folks dead due to plane crash, bear attack injuries, or folks lost in the bush. Of all the "Alaska " shows I found the last Alaskans the most realistic. Ymmv

Step over that fallen tree trunk...not on it!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Charlie can build a fine cabin.

Indeed. He was able to be very selective in choosing his logs, and combined that with skill and, most importantly, patience.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
That sounds way better than any ak reality show I've seen. But I must confess I haven't watched them all.

If you have seen "Alaska Bush People", you have seen the absolute worst of them all.......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by flintlocke

I'd venture you've not read books about Heimo.

Yeah none of its perfect. But Last Alaskans was the least drama and had some good footage of great scenery.

That said the best we've seen is a you tube thing can't think of the name. Guy in Canada builds a cabin off grid and keeps adding on. My perfect life might be the name.

Almost no talking. Just filming doing things out there. Very relaxing to us.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 31 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.