Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RayF
Not to OP, but others: If you’re thinking about getting a Harley, you should know how to wrench or have a Master Card at the ready. It’s a lifestyle choice that, at one point, absolutely will require one or both. If you want to gas and go, buy the right metric.

buying a new harley is like buying a 15 year old boat
B-break
O-out
A-another
T-thousand

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Not to OP, but others: If you’re thinking about getting a Harley, you should know how to wrench or have a Master Card at the ready. It’s a lifestyle choice that, at one point, absolutely will require one or both. If you want to gas and go, buy the right metric.

B-break
O-out
A-another
T-thousand

Oddly, the 2 Harleys that I've owned, a 2005 Sportster and a 2009 Dyna Lowrider, have been the most trouble free, easy to maintain motorcycles I've owned in the 50 years I've been riding.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a 2019 Heritage and the speedo will fog too. It clears up after a bit though

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yes.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A friend of mine went on the Sturgis run a few years ago. One of his fun things was there would be a truck pulling a trailer with Harley parts so they could get back on the road when there were problems. No thanks.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Are you F'ing retarded?
The handlebar clamp is two piece top. Very common for that to happen. The risers are rubber mounted. Take a allen wrench and slightly loosen one bolt on each clamp and move the bars straight and tighten the bolts.
The fender trim must have lost the one side screw and the thing vibrated until it broke. Are you deaf too? It had to be rattling for a long time. Look at the parts schematic. Does it show the screws separate? Does the description say Assembly?
No start? Clutch switch

Harley apologist.... LOL

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Are you F'ing retarded?
The handlebar clamp is two piece top. Very common for that to happen. The risers are rubber mounted. Take a allen wrench and slightly loosen one bolt on each clamp and move the bars straight and tighten the bolts.
The fender trim must have lost the one side screw and the thing vibrated until it broke. Are you deaf too? It had to be rattling for a long time. Look at the parts schematic. Does it show the screws separate? Does the description say Assembly?
No start? Clutch switch

Harley apologist.... LOL

Not apologizing for anything. I'm pointing out stupidity.
Anyone that has ever ridden a dirt bike knows how to straighten the bars. Clutch switches go out on everything that has them. Fender trim? Should have heard that or noticed it while cleaning and fixed it before it broke. Heck, when my Dodge Ram was new I was driving and a door handle started rattling. A screwdriver fixed that, didn't even bother going to the dealer.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank fck HD don't make aircraft...

and remember ~ Loctite 271~ is a HD owners
best friend... 😂

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Are you F'ing retarded?
No start? Clutch switch

Harley apologist.... LOL

Anyone that has ever ridden a dirt bike knows how to straighten the bars. Clutch switches go out on everything that has them. Fender trim? Should have heard that or noticed it while cleaning and fixed it before it broke. Heck, when my Dodge Ram was new I was driving and a door handle started rattling. A screwdriver fixed that, didn't even bother going to the dealer.

My BMW, R100RS, had a bunch of issues, but the oil filter location was just stupid. It ate a rear drive at 120,000 or so. A clutch, a short under the tank that required me to strip the rear wiring harness and rewire the ignition so I could get home. Everything has issues. Sometimes you get a good one though. Hondas, Yamahas had problems as well. The Harleys were set it and forget it. I did ride the other stuff more miles though. We'll see. 24,000 so far on the Lowrider. So far, so good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, I forgot about the speedo problem.
That is uncommon but just so you know, Harley doesn't make the gauge. The gauge is made by nippon seiki, a subsidiary of Honda

OEM to HD specifications.

Folks must be proud of factory HDs that have..

Japanese Keihin Carb
Japanese front forks
Japanese Speedo
Japanese Tach
Japanese Starter
Japanese OEM mag wheels.

Trump praised HD for being "a true American icon,
one of the greats,".. and thanked them..
"for building things in America."

almost as funny as his praise for the 'American made'
B787 Dreamliner, the least American made BOEING
in the companies entire history, with 20,000 foreign
contract supply companies involved.. 😂

Sleepy Joe and delusional Donald is what folks
got to choose from...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutdoorsinTexas
Still a Harley fan and still love this bike (a lot), but some of the problems I'm experiencing should not be happening to any garage-kept bike with only 3,000+/- miles on the clock IMO. Anyone with similar experience either way?

I did not know they were still in business. Last time I checked they were made in India and assembled in USA? I would just buy Japanese motorcycle instead. If you want good handgun Americans make very good ones, but when shopping for motorcycles, automobiles I would look elsewhere.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
made in India ....you need to check your facts

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD

B-break
O-out
A-another
T-thousand

Oddly, the 2 Harleys that I've owned, a 2005 Sportster and a 2009 Dyna Lowrider, have been the most trouble free, easy to maintain motorcycles I've owned in the 50 years I've been riding.

harleys are also like women. most guys get a bad one and some guys get a good one ...maybe

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by benchman
Are you F'ing retarded?
No start? Clutch switch

Harley apologist.... LOL

My BMW, R100RS, had a bunch of issues, but the oil filter location was just stupid. It ate a rear drive at 120,000 or so. A clutch, a short under the tank that required me to strip the rear wiring harness and rewire the ignition so I could get home. Everything has issues. Sometimes you get a good one though. Hondas, Yamahas had problems as well. The Harleys were set it and forget it. I did ride the other stuff more miles though. We'll see. 24,000 so far on the Lowrider. So far, so good.

to say that a harley is better then a honda is insanity. they just look better and cost more

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Starman
Oh, I forgot about the speedo problem.
That is uncommon but just so you know, Harley doesn't make the gauge. The gauge is made by nippon seiki, a subsidiary of Honda

OEM to HD specifications.

Folks must be proud of factory HDs that have..

Japanese Keihin Carb
Harley hasn't had a carburetor for over 15 years. Delfi EFI
Japanese front forks
over 90% of the bikes made have ether Showa or KYB forks. No one makes their own forks or shocks
Japanese Speedo
almost every vehicle made has nippon seiki instruments. They are the worlds largest manufacture of instruments
Japanese Tach
see above
Japanese Starter
hitachi, same as just about everything out there. If you want you can go to any auto parts store and get any part to fix it. Just tell the you have a Toyota
Japanese OEM mag wheels.
Wheels are made by Castalloy. The worlds largest manufacture of alloy wheels in the world.

All good parts. It doesn't matter what you own, bike car or tuck you probably have these parts in it.
So STFU moron

Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So the chances of getting a good HD is not
achievable without considerable foreign input.

Why not just get a Japanese made and branded
motorcycle?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A Harley is made to look and sound cool. If that's what you like, then cool.

If you don't enjoy mechanicing, and just want a reliable ride, buy a Honda.

In the interest of full disclosure, I plan to buy a bike next year. It'll most likely be a Harley. I just go into it knowing I'll need to occasionally work on it.

Last edited by gregintenn; 11/06/20.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
it basically comes down to what you can get and where you can get it in the quantity, quality and price you need it to be when manufacturing something

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't have to rebuild it fairly frequently, and if it don't sit in it's own puddle of oil, it ain't a Harley!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Starman
So the chances of getting a good HD is not
achievable without considerable foreign input.

I don't know what you ride or drive but it has some of them parts on it. No manufacture makes all of their own parts,car,truck,motorcycle,airplane or boat.
Are you that stupid?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
795 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.