Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have on hand several boxes each of Hornady, Speer and Sierra 140 gr soft points. The Sierra is a boattail.
Before I run off and buy other offerings I’m going to want to run a bunch of these through my Kimber Hunter 6.5CM and wondered if any of you have any experience with them.

They will be put to use on steel to 500 and deer / elk, probably ( hopefully ) a bit closer in.
Leaning in favor of the Sierra’s for no particular reason.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They should all shoot well. I have a load with Speer Gold Dot 140s, that I am shooting in a Creed. Great for deer. I like Hornady Interlocks in anything, if that is what they are. Sierra bullets are usually pretty accurate, but I have seen some pretty mediocre performance on game at times.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
One of the great things about the CM is that it pushes 140's at a very modest speed, and thus doesn't stress the cup & core bullets with high impact velocities. I'd feel good using any of the bullets you mentioned for steel and hunting animals to 500 yds, though some of them are running out of poop for elk at 500 yards. The Sierras wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd feel fine using them. A lot of guys shy away from them, but I have seen good things from them on animals.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’ve killed five Roosevelt’s cow elk with the Creed and 140 Federal Fusion bullets. So I’m certainly comfortable with the idea of using the combo. I doubt I will be strafing elk at 500 yards though.
Using the aforementioned bullets for practice is the plan and I was hoping to hear that others had hunted them and their results and gain from their experience.
Thanks guys👍

BT53

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I’ve killed five Roosevelt’s cow elk with the Creed and 140 Federal Fusion bullets. So I’m certainly comfortable with the idea of using the combo. I doubt I will be strafing elk at 500 yards though.
Using the aforementioned bullets for practice is the plan and I was hoping to hear that others had hunted them and their results and gain from their experience.
Thanks guys👍

Hopefully, some guys with specific experience will be along eventually to relate that experience.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I got very good groups with the 140 Sierra on top of IMR4350 and would use them on deer with confidence. I've had fine results on deer and pigs with many different Sierras. No elk experience to relate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have experience with my 6.5CM with deer using the 143 ELDX and have seen more and more postings about guys moving down to bullet weights for the 6.5CM in the 120's. I know that will pick up some speed but wondered about energy at extended ranges on game.

My plans are for an antelope hunt in Montana next year where the ranges in this area are 500+.

I have used the bullet weights in the 120s for my Grendel and that seems to be working out ok so far.

Your thoughts on lighter bullets

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Redhill.

I'm using Hornady Whitetail factory 129gr Inner Locks for deer now.
They're inexpensive and shoot and kill really well in my Creed.
I don't think I'd change a thing actually, except that I have all these 140's on hand and I think they should perform just fine on deer, elk and steel....I also have a pile of 129 Horns to load.

I'm dialing for elevation, so I'm not really concerned with getting the highest velocities to flatten trajectory. And they should have better BC's and buck the wind better. But I only shoot to 500 yards max. That's all this range is set up for.

140's "should" be a better mouse trap for elk.... but I've killed two elk with the 129's out of my .260 without any problems. Everyone seems to be throwing cash at the wonder bullets with the high BC and ignoring the old tried and true cup n core. To 500 yards, there won't be enough difference to matter, so I want to shoot these up first and see how it goes.

I guess I'll just load up a few and see how they perform. If I find a darling in the bunch I'll run with that.
My .260 has a bit slower twist and I'll generally use the lighter bullets in it and the heavies in the Creed.

BT53

BT53

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
140 berger target bullets do a LOT of damage to rib shot whitetails. I don't like that but its what I have right now ready to go and zero's on out there.

129 Barnes are on the shelf now. Or is that 127.

Berger hunting bullets would be worse. And I personally feel that Berger target bullets generally do less damage than most standard cup and core bullets do.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone seems to be throwing cash at the wonder bullets with the high BC and ignoring the old tried and true cup n core.

The high BC bullets aren't cup n core?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Everyone seems to be throwing cash at the wonder bullets with the high BC and ignoring the old tried and true cup n core.

The high BC bullets aren't cup n core?

Too-Shayy .....laffin!
Your absolutely correct.....guess I let those pointy little plastic tips skew my thinkin!

BT53

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, at least it wasn't hollow points that did it....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shaking head here..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Redhill.

I'm using Hornady Whitetail factory 129gr Inner Locks for deer now.
They're inexpensive and shoot and kill really well in my Creed.
I don't think I'd change a thing actually, except that I have all these 140's on hand and I think they should perform just fine on deer, elk and steel....I also have a pile of 129 Horns to load.

I'm dialing for elevation, so I'm not really concerned with getting the highest velocities to flatten trajectory. And they should have better BC's and buck the wind better. But I only shoot to 500 yards max. That's all this range is set up for.

140's "should" be a better mouse trap for elk.... but I've killed two elk with the 129's out of my .260 without any problems. Everyone seems to be throwing cash at the wonder bullets with the high BC and ignoring the old tried and true cup n core. To 500 yards, there won't be enough difference to matter, so I want to shoot these up first and see how it goes.

I guess I'll just load up a few and see how they perform. If I find a darling in the bunch I'll run with that.
My .260 has a bit slower twist and I'll generally use the lighter bullets in it and the heavies in the Creed.

BT53

My go-to in my .260s, is the 129 loaded to 2950. I have killed deer to 430 yards with them and lots in the 300-yard range. Great bullet. I have shot some Hornady Interlock 140s in my Creed and got superb accuracy with them. My go-to in the Creed is the 147 ELDM, until they are gone, then I have several hundred 140 Interlocks to load. Did you catch the 129s that killed the elk? My experience has been that they hold together pretty well on deer, but no experience with elk.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
sbhooper

Yes, one from a cow that I heart shot at a bit over 250. The bullet was in the hide on the off side and looked like an ad for Hornady Bullets in a magazine - perfect mushroom.

BT53

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
45 gr of RL 23 with 140 eld in Lapua Brass seems to be a rockstar in the 6.5 Creedmoor

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The Sierra’s would be great, use 150’s in 308’s.

I use 120 Barnes in my three Creeds, but never shoot over 300.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
sbhooper

Yes, one from a cow that I heart shot at a bit over 250. The bullet was in the hide on the off side and looked like an ad for Hornady Bullets in a magazine - perfect mushroom.

Outstanding.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've taken a couple of deer with the Sierra 140 SP out of a 6.5 x 55 years ago...It made a mess even tho the deer died... they were pushed hard out of a Swede at 2900 fps...

The same load but using a Speer 140 SP, did the job, didn't leave a bunch of blood shot meat

The deer I took this year was a Speer 140 at 2400 out of the Muzzle , with W 748 powdering it...

It did an excellent job also at only a 100 yds or so....

That and the 140 Ballistic Tips are my two favorite 140s...

for heavier game, I'd grab the partition....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't forget about the 130 NAB and the 139 Scenar.

DF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,813 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.