24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: Starman] #15387125 11/06/20
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,309
G
gregintenn Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,309
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Oh, I forgot about the speedo problem.
That is uncommon but just so you know, Harley doesn't make the gauge. The gauge is made by nippon seiki, a subsidiary of Honda


OEM to HD specifications.

Folks must be proud of factory HDs that have..

Japanese Keihin Carb
Japanese front forks
Japanese Speedo
Japanese Tach
Japanese Starter
Japanese OEM mag wheels.

Trump praised HD for being "a true American icon,
one of the greats,".. and thanked them..
"for building things in America."

almost as funny as his praise for the 'American made'
B787 Dreamliner, the least American made BOEING
in the companies entire history, with 20,000 foreign
contract supply companies involved.. 😂

Sleepy Joe and delusional Donald is what folks
got to choose from...



Harley ain't sold a bike with a carburetor in several years now.

BP-B2

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: gregintenn] #15387141 11/06/20
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,961
Starman Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,961
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Harley ain't sold a bike with a carburetor in several years now.


All I said was folks must be proud of their
factory HD with all those Jap parts...


-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: OutdoorsinTexas] #15387149 11/06/20
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 15,168
GeoW Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 15,168
I wanted a vehicle that would last.. bought a made in Japan vehicle for that reason. No more Obama Motors for this cracker.


"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke"

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: OutdoorsinTexas] #15387184 11/06/20
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,961
Starman Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,961
Been driving Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, for decades
from 4x4s to factory turbo GTRs etc, none ever
skipped a beat...


-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: OutdoorsinTexas] #15387193 11/06/20
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 16,586
KFWA Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 16,586
well, it *looks* good at least


[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC-A

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: Starman] #15387215 11/06/20
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,438
DBT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,438
Originally Posted by Starman
Thank fck HD don't make aircraft...

and remember ~ Loctite 271~ is a HD owners
best friend... 😂


Not sure why such a company would let their reputation slide. You'd think they'd do their utmost to address design and production faults.

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: Starman] #15387220 11/06/20
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,923
S
Slavek Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
S
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,923
Originally Posted by Starman
Been driving Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, for decades
from 4x4s to factory turbo GTRs etc, none ever
skipped a beat...


Good call. One is not going to make America great by buying junk or second-rate products. They can either fix issues or go bankrupt.

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: DBT] #15387240 11/06/20
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 16,586
KFWA Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 16,586
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Starman
Thank fck HD don't make aircraft...

and remember ~ Loctite 271~ is a HD owners
best friend... 😂


Not sure why such a company would let their reputation slide. You'd think they'd do their utmost to address design and production faults.



Lets go back and revisit the AMF Harley Davidson days......


[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: DBT] #15387287 11/06/20
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,294
S
SPQR70AD Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,294
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Starman
Thank fck HD don't make aircraft...

and remember ~ Loctite 271~ is a HD owners
best friend... 😂


Not sure why such a company would let their reputation slide. You'd think they'd do their utmost to address design and production faults.

they will jack up their own stocks with cheap fed money pull the plug run away with truckloads of money. that is all most US companies are good for

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: Slavek] #15387305 11/06/20
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,821
whackem_stackem Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,821
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by Starman
Been driving Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, for decades
from 4x4s to factory turbo GTRs etc, none ever
skipped a beat...


Good call. One is not going to make America great by buying junk or second-rate products. They can either fix issues or go bankrupt.

They are on the way out.
I've been working on bikes for close to 50 years. I've worked on every brand there is. Just as a independent auto shop can tell you inherent problems with different autos, I can tell you EVERY motorcycle brand has problems. As the old saying goes, if it has wheels or tits it's going to give you problems. Some more than others.
If you think Harley is bad now you should have seen them in the 70's.
I will say this. The new Harley M8 engine is the biggest pile of stinking crap ever made by any manufacture. It has so many design flaws that they can't even be fixed or worked around. I will not even let them into my shop anymore unless it to put a tire on or something simple. I'm a hot rod shop but I will not touch that engine. If you want a good Harley get a 2010 to 2017 103 Twin Cam. The 103 is the LS of Harley engines. Best thing that ever came out of Milwaukee.


Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
IC-B

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: SPQR70AD] #15387314 11/06/20
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,512
B
benchman Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,512
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Are you F'ing retarded?
The handlebar clamp is two piece top. Very common for that to happen. The risers are rubber mounted. Take a allen wrench and slightly loosen one bolt on each clamp and move the bars straight and tighten the bolts.
The fender trim must have lost the one side screw and the thing vibrated until it broke. Are you deaf too? It had to be rattling for a long time. Look at the parts schematic. Does it show the screws separate? Does the description say Assembly?
No start? Clutch switch

Harley apologist.... LOL

Not apologizing for anything. I'm pointing out stupidity.
Anyone that has ever ridden a dirt bike knows how to straighten the bars. Clutch switches go out on everything that has them. Fender trim? Should have heard that or noticed it while cleaning and fixed it before it broke. Heck, when my Dodge Ram was new I was driving and a door handle started rattling. A screwdriver fixed that, didn't even bother going to the dealer.

My BMW, R100RS, had a bunch of issues, but the oil filter location was just stupid. It ate a rear drive at 120,000 or so. A clutch, a short under the tank that required me to strip the rear wiring harness and rewire the ignition so I could get home. Everything has issues. Sometimes you get a good one though. Hondas, Yamahas had problems as well. The Harleys were set it and forget it. I did ride the other stuff more miles though. We'll see. 24,000 so far on the Lowrider. So far, so good.

to say that a harley is better then a honda is insanity. they just look better and cost more

Suit yourself. I'm just relating my experience, having owned and worked on both. I was a honda/yamaha mechanic, as well. The harley isnt necessarily better, but it is at least equal. I have had zero issues with either harley. Had a few major glitches with honda, not so much yamaha. They are all good. There simply isn't much actual junk out there anymore.

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: gregintenn] #15387320 11/06/20
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,512
B
benchman Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,512
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Are you F'ing retarded?
The handlebar clamp is two piece top. Very common for that to happen. The risers are rubber mounted. Take a allen wrench and slightly loosen one bolt on each clamp and move the bars straight and tighten the bolts.
The fender trim must have lost the one side screw and the thing vibrated until it broke. Are you deaf too? It had to be rattling for a long time. Look at the parts schematic. Does it show the screws separate? Does the description say Assembly?
No start? Clutch switch

Harley apologist.... LOL

Not apologizing for anything. I'm pointing out stupidity.
Anyone that has ever ridden a dirt bike knows how to straighten the bars. Clutch switches go out on everything that has them. Fender trim? Should have heard that or noticed it while cleaning and fixed it before it broke. Heck, when my Dodge Ram was new I was driving and a door handle started rattling. A screwdriver fixed that, didn't even bother going to the dealer.

My BMW, R100RS, had a bunch of issues, but the oil filter location was just stupid. It ate a rear drive at 120,000 or so. A clutch, a short under the tank that required me to strip the rear wiring harness and rewire the ignition so I could get home. Everything has issues. Sometimes you get a good one though. Hondas, Yamahas had problems as well. The Harleys were set it and forget it. I did ride the other stuff more miles though. We'll see. 24,000 so far on the Lowrider. So far, so good.

to say that a harley is better then a honda is insanity. they just look better and cost more

Suit yourself. I'm just relating my experience, having owned and worked on both. I was a honda/yamaha mechanic, as well. The harley isnt necessarily better, but it is at least equal. I have had zero issues with either harley. Had a few major glitches with honda, not so much yamaha. They are all good. There simply isn't much actual junk out there anymore.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
A Harley is made to look and sound cool. If that's what you like, then cool.

If you don't enjoy mechanicing, and just want a reliable ride, buy a Honda.

In the interest of full disclosure, I plan to buy a bike next year. It'll most likely be a Harley. I just go into it knowing I'll need to occasionally work on it.

What would you do to work on it? Other than lubricants, tires, and brakes, I've had to do nothing in 24,000 miles. They seem to be reliable for me.

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: OutdoorsinTexas] #15387383 11/06/20
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,583
T
tndrbstr Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,583
If find the Tripp guy obnoxious as hell. I don’t watch him...



Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: tndrbstr] #15387433 11/06/20
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 629
AKCHOPPER Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
If find the Tripp guy obnoxious as hell. I don’t watch him...

No kidding, seems like a real D-bag!

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: tndrbstr] #15387798 11/06/20
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,240
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,240
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
If find the Tripp guy obnoxious as hell. I don’t watch him...


The guy in the video sounds like it's his first bike and doesn't know what he's doing. Couldn't watch the whole thing.


"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: OutdoorsinTexas] #15387806 11/06/20
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,500
S
Snowwolfe Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
S
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,500
Seems to me some one is just trolling their YouTube channel trying to increase the number of views.


My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: KFWA] #15387820 11/06/20
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,309
G
gregintenn Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,309
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Starman
Thank fck HD don't make aircraft...

and remember ~ Loctite 271~ is a HD owners
best friend... 😂


Not sure why such a company would let their reputation slide. You'd think they'd do their utmost to address design and production faults.



Lets go back and revisit the AMF Harley Davidson days......

I’ve always heard that. I had a 79 Sportster, and it was a peach. Maybe I just got lucky. It looks like the AMF bikes are bring big money these days. Not sure why.

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: benchman] #15387835 11/06/20
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,309
G
gregintenn Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,309
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Are you F'ing retarded?
The handlebar clamp is two piece top. Very common for that to happen. The risers are rubber mounted. Take a allen wrench and slightly loosen one bolt on each clamp and move the bars straight and tighten the bolts.
The fender trim must have lost the one side screw and the thing vibrated until it broke. Are you deaf too? It had to be rattling for a long time. Look at the parts schematic. Does it show the screws separate? Does the description say Assembly?
No start? Clutch switch

Harley apologist.... LOL

Not apologizing for anything. I'm pointing out stupidity.
Anyone that has ever ridden a dirt bike knows how to straighten the bars. Clutch switches go out on everything that has them. Fender trim? Should have heard that or noticed it while cleaning and fixed it before it broke. Heck, when my Dodge Ram was new I was driving and a door handle started rattling. A screwdriver fixed that, didn't even bother going to the dealer.

My BMW, R100RS, had a bunch of issues, but the oil filter location was just stupid. It ate a rear drive at 120,000 or so. A clutch, a short under the tank that required me to strip the rear wiring harness and rewire the ignition so I could get home. Everything has issues. Sometimes you get a good one though. Hondas, Yamahas had problems as well. The Harleys were set it and forget it. I did ride the other stuff more miles though. We'll see. 24,000 so far on the Lowrider. So far, so good.

to say that a harley is better then a honda is insanity. they just look better and cost more

Suit yourself. I'm just relating my experience, having owned and worked on both. I was a honda/yamaha mechanic, as well. The harley isnt necessarily better, but it is at least equal. I have had zero issues with either harley. Had a few major glitches with honda, not so much yamaha. They are all good. There simply isn't much actual junk out there anymore.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
A Harley is made to look and sound cool. If that's what you like, then cool.

If you don't enjoy mechanicing, and just want a reliable ride, buy a Honda.

In the interest of full disclosure, I plan to buy a bike next year. It'll most likely be a Harley. I just go into it knowing I'll need to occasionally work on it.

What would you do to work on it? Other than lubricants, tires, and brakes, I've had to do nothing in 24,000 miles. They seem to be reliable for me.

My kid has a Harley. We’ve spent a fair amount of time tinkering with it. It just seems like there’s a lot more maintenance and putting things back on that vibrate off than on a jap bike.

Still, there’s something about them. He was looking for a Honda until he rode a Harley. He forgot all about the Hondas after that.

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: pal] #15387837 11/06/20
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,289
H
Heeler Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
If find the Tripp guy obnoxious as hell. I don’t watch him...


The guy in the video sounds like it's his first bike and doesn't know what he's doing. Couldn't watch the whole thing.


Didn’t he recently just post here about his search for the ‘dream’ bike and bought this one?


He went over yonder way
Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? [Re: Snowwolfe] #15387841 11/06/20
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,153
K
K1500 Online Content
Campfire Guide
Online Content
Campfire Guide
K
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,153
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Seems to me some one is just trolling their YouTube channel trying to increase the number of views.


That’s all this dude does. Zero contribution except stupid YouTube Harley videos.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
882 registered members (10gaugeman, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 92 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,036 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.26 Page Time: 0.071s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.8858 MB (Peak: 1.0742 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-01-23 19:53:27 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS