Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I nlknowvSmall rifle primers are hard to find.
How about .223 brass?

Curious as I saw 100rnd "cannon blank" packs for $44 made from 5.56 brass.
Was thinking about either Dumping powder & trimming the cramped necks or firing, sizing and trimming..

Considering 223 new brass is ~$32/50 it seems reasonable...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
BP-B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Id be leery of blanks of modern design.

They aren't proofed for repeated use.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I nlknowvSmall rifle primers are hard to find.
How about .223 brass?

Curious as I saw 100rnd "cannon blank" packs for $44 made from 5.56 brass.
Was thinking about either Dumping powder & trimming the cramped necks or firing, sizing and trimming..

Considering 223 new brass is ~$32/50 it seems reasonable...

All of my 223 rem brass has been free. I find it laying all over the place...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I guess I’m no longer the crazy guy with 5-5 gallon buckets of 223/5.56 brass.. Also sitting on 14k small rifle primers..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I guess I’m no longer the crazy guy with 5-5 gallon buckets of 223/5.56 brass.. Also sitting on 14k small rifle primers..

You aren't crazy. If guys are too lazy to go to the local gravel pit, range or side of the road to pick up 223 brass, you could always sell some of yours to the lazy bastids... I seriously got tired of picking the chidt up off the ground. Now I just step on it and don't pay any attention to it..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

You aren't crazy. If guys are too lazy to go to the local gravel pit, range or side of the road to pick up 223 brass, you could always sell some of yours to the lazy bastids... I seriously got tired of picking the chidt up off the ground. Now I just step on it and don't pay any attention to it..

I got buckets of the stuff too. But seeing all that good brass on the ground brings up old "waste not want not" feelings and before I know it I'm spending just as much time picking as I am shooting.
It's probably some kind of sickness and a habit that I hope I never break.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is this a story about " the Haves & the Have NOTS"?

I'm totally out of all brass and primers...and bullets

and lost all of my firearms in that terrible flood the previous spring...

and joined Mom's Demand Action... and Every Town USA...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

my welder buddy always goes out & finds brass...

Just yesterday he gave me a bunch of Hornady 223 & 45 ACP's 1X's

What dummy goes out a sprays 223 in the hill side & leaves the Horny brass on the ground ?

Yea its usually the same slobs that leave all their trash & schidt behind after shooting

I do have some new 223 brass along with clean 1x's..I'll bump my ad TTT

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I pick up 100-200 rounds every time I go to the range. It all has crimped primers so I know it is once fired.I sort it out by mfgr ,but most of it is LC or Federal.The rest goes into a larger can. I can chamfer primer pockets a lot cheaper than buying new brass

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/07/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LC to me is by far the safest, most-consistent "scrounge" out there. I actually combined three good LC scrounges into a "batch" that shoots no different from my other LC collections -- only thing I did was run an average case weight from three samples of 20 and culled three percent (I forget the exact number) below and above. Chamfer, FL size, trim and chamfer neck, then go.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
Id be leery of blanks of modern design.

They aren't proofed for repeated use.

Package said "made from 5.56..."

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I can’t help picking it up, is there a recovery group out there??? Brass anonymous??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need some kind of intervention?

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you don't pick it up, someone else will be along shortly to pick it up. Its not like its "going to waste". Like I said, it's all over the place though, I will never buy 223 rem brass, no need to..... As far as buying blanks to make ammo with. No probably not.. Maybe some of the old guys that post here can send him the brass they get OCD about picking up and let someone put it to good use...

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Trash-diving becomes more fruitful before deer season. Found Nosler .308 Win in the brass bucket last week. But I need more .223 brass like I need snow most Maine winters.

Doing a reloading class and hope one of these guys will take it. Same for the unsorted 9mm.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
I can’t help picking it up, is there a recovery group out there??? Brass anonymous??

kind of like an Easter egg hunt when you were a kid eh ?

My fav to pick up is the Rem ML brass shown in link

What dummy leaves this stuff laying around ?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016764695?pid=344736

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you don't pick it up, someone else will be along shortly to pick it up. Its not like its "going to waste". Like I said, it's all over the place though, I will never buy 223 rem brass, no need to........

This could be why some of your AR's don't shoot so well, you feed them Schit brass !!!!!!!!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor
If you don't pick it up, someone else will be along shortly to pick it up. Its not like its "going to waste". Like I said, it's all over the place though, I will never buy 223 rem brass, no need to........

This could be why some of your AR's don't shoot so well, you feed them Schit brass !!!!!!!!!

BoatAnchor,

I use plenty of range brass, probably most of it I have, is range brass.. plenty from OSP. shooting and leaving their brass...

In bolt actions, I've NEVER had an accuracy issue with the brass if it is sized correctly....

heck I have even experimented with Tula steel cases, that I've reloaded and they were totally giving very respectable accuracy
with Hornady V Maxes and their SPs....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since I already have all I can possibly ever use, usually bought on sale, I almost always just leave it for others, unless I want a few for setting up dies or dummy rounds.

Take it from someone who just spent over a year cleaning out his father’s house, your children will thank you for getting rid of as much “just in case” or “this might come in handy” crap before you go under as you can. After hunting season is over, gonna start on my own pile.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Since I already have all I can possibly ever use, usually bought on sale, I almost always just leave it for others, unless I want a few for setting up dies or dummy rounds.

Take it from someone who just spent over a year cleaning out his father’s house, your children will thank you for getting rid of as much “just in case” or “this might come in handy” crap before you go under as you can. After hunting season is over, gonna start on my own pile.

I second that Pappy. I am doing the same thing being 77.No way can I possibly use all the brass I have or even shoot up the loaded ammo I have. I was looking a few days ago and I have 3 each 3# coffee cans of 38 special brass and 3 cans of .357 brass and 4 cans of 9mm brass.
I gave an Ithaca SXS, a Win 94, 30-30, a HR single 12 gauge and a Crescent Arms single shot .410 to my nephew. I recently gave a Fox Sterlingworth SxS, a JC Higgins .06, and an M1 Garand to my Godson along with about 300 rounds of ammo and 300 rounds of brass to go with it.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/22/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
280 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,627
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.