Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I traded this one. It was accurate, just didn't use it that much.

We don't have PD's here and I was wanting a faster twist, high performance .22 cal. So, I now have an 8 twist .22-250 Shilen Mohawk.

It has pretty factory wood and I installed a Kepplinger trigger back before they got so expensive. New owner very happy.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/03/21.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had Numbah One's in both Swift(OEM) and 22 K-Hornet(Factory spout punched). Always preferred B-78's. Hint.

None of my 22-250's are faster than 7"(Mike Rock). Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Speaking of .220 Swifts, I have a like-new Ruger M77 MKII HB Target Rifle in .220 Swift that I plan to sell. It has a Leupold M-8 12x40mm Target scope with custom BDC, and will come with dies and 900 rounds of loaded ammunition. What should I ask for this rig?
[Linked Image]

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've had lots of Swifts(Remmie,Ruger,Sako,Winchester,Custom) and shot a lot more. Brass has always been an issue,as relative quality goes and spare me the Norma bullschit

I agree and understand some of your hatred of the Swift, it is an old fashioned poorly designed case.........
That said it still works and works well, the only reason I will always have one in my gun safe is the nostalgia factor.
It was the first center fire I ever bought when I was a teenager it served me then as it does now, shot about 50 prairie dogs with it yesterday and it still works great !!!!!! I shot many more with newer designed cartridges but nothing wrong with the old either, I prefer the Norma brass because it is much better than anything else for the Swift. sure you still have to trim it but not near as often and I have never had to neck turn it.
Obviously you are more a fan of the Gaymoor and Speedmire that have no nostalgia, but it's all good if you know the cartridge limitations and how to use it properly.....hint

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've had lots of Swifts(Remmie,Ruger,Sako,Winchester,Custom) and shot a lot more. Brass has always been an issue,as relative quality goes and spare me the Norma bullschit

I agree and understand some of your hatred of the Swift, it is an old fashioned poorly designed case.........
That said it still works and works well, the only reason I will always have one in my gun safe is the nostalgia factor.
It was the first center fire I ever bought when I was a teenager it served me then as it does now, shot about 50 prairie dogs with it yesterday and it still works great !!!!!! I shot many more with newer designed cartridges but nothing wrong with the old either, I prefer the Norma brass because it is much better than anything else for the Swift. sure you still have to trim it but not near as often and I have never had to neck turn it.
Obviously you are more a fan of the Gaymoor and Speedmire that have no nostalgia, but it's all good if you know the cartridge limitations and how to use it properly.....hint

While I do agree with most sentiments you posted especially nostalgia which has basically kept the Swift alive. That said, not all Norma brass is created equal. I bought 300 rounds of Norma Swift brass in 25 round padded boxes back about 2010 fully prepped. Bought 300 rounds bulk at about 40 cents less, big difference cull rate on bulk was 10-15 %.

Swifty
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]//postimg.cc/HcpPKfjM][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Brass quality substandard
Case design antiquated
Twist rate a constraint

But sometimes they still shoot

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bartman
Brass quality substandard
Case design antiquated
Twist rate a constraint

But sometimes they still shoot

Better than most think

Swifty
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
The twist 1-14 or 1=12 is fine for my needs.. I don't want to shoot an 80 gr. bullet out of my .22's.. I want them shooting fast explosive bullets of the bullet is destroyed once it hits a prairie dog or coyote.. if I want to shoot heavy long bullets, I will use a bigger caliber..

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I recall a article stating Nosler used the 220 Swift to test their 22 caliber bullets due to its accuracy potential. May have changed by now with new cartridges and may have been wrong even when I read it, Don't know. But my Swift is more accurate than the .22-250 I had. Maybe it was the rifles used.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
The twist 1-14 or 1=12 is fine for my needs.. I don't want to shoot an 80 gr. bullet out of my .22's.. I want them shooting fast explosive bullets of the bullet is destroyed once it hits a prairie dog or coyote.. if I want to shoot heavy long bullets, I will use a bigger caliber..

I have to wholeheartedly agree. Light bullets driven fast still have value in the shooting world. I kind of have to yawn when I get told about the great value of long, heavy bullets and how far behind the times I am for not having a fast twist 22 caliber. I find it difficult to believe an 80 grain bullet from a 220 Swift is going to have the same dramatic effect on a ground squirrel as a 40 grain at full throttle.

For better or worse, I’ll keep my Swift and my 40-55 grain bullets. Like you, I have others that will handle heavy bullets should I desire them.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I recall a article stating Nosler used the 220 Swift to test their 22 caliber bullets due to its accuracy potential. May have changed by now with new cartridges and may have been wrong even when I read it, Don't know. But my Swift is more accurate than the .22-250 I had. Maybe it was the rifles used.

That is not just a case of one, I have always gotten better accuracy with the Swift than a 22-250 in several rifles of each. just like I can always make a 222 shoot more accurate than a 223

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Just A Hunter: You touch on a great point - each Rifle is an individual and accuracy may/will vary.
But among the many 220 Swifts I own is a splendidly accurate all factory stock Remington 40XB-KS in 220 Swift that shoots Varmint style bullets into VERY small groupings.
In fact just a while back I was double checking a load for "drop" and at 200 yards on an only fair day conditions wise, the Rifle/cartridge made a 5 shot group at 200 yards that measured .891".
Now it has shot better groups (M.O.A. wise) at other distances but on that somewhat windy day in slight mirage conditions with Varmint style bullets I was VERY pleased with that performance.
I have been shooting both the 220 Swift and the 22-250 Remington for over half a century now and currently own and shoot 23 (twenty three!) Varmint weight Rifles in 22-250 Remington and 220 Swift calibers and I am hard pressed to give the "accuracy edge" to either cartridge!
If pressed, intensely, I would have to give the slightest edge in accuracy to the many 22-250's I own now and have owned in the past compared to my 220 Swifts.
But that accuracy edge "opinion" is, again, VERY slight.
Long live the 220 Swift (and the 22-250 Remington!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.