Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
When I was growing up a local retired guy used to take me ground hog hunting. He was super fan of the swift had about 10 rifles in 220 swift.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love mine. It's a pristine pre-64 Model 70 so I don't do any high volume shooting with it. I take it deer hunting occasionally and it works well for that purpose.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Blaserman: Nothing - many of us still around.
I currently own 13 (thirteen) Rifles in caliber 220 Swift. Four of them are mint condition pre-64 Winchester Model 70's in my collection (in three different models) that I do not shoot and the other nine I shoot - mostly at Varmints and predators.
I missed buying a minty Remington 700 stainless heavy barrel Sendero earlier this week - I missed it by one day - thought about it 24 hours to long (price $899.00).
There still is a "niche" market for Rifles in caliber 220 Swift just not much in the way of supply! When a clean (with good bore) used Rifle in 220 Swift comes on the market, in my experience, it doesn't last very long.
The 220 Swift Sendero I just "missed out on" was on the market (gunstore rack) for 2 1/2 days!
Many of my friends that I Varmint and predator Hunt with own Rifles in 220 Swift.
I have a fair supply of 220 Swift brass on hand so I won't be leaving the ranks of 220 Swift "fans" any time soon.
Long live the 220 Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve had several swifts. Currently have a custom stainless R700, 26” Shilen sporter barrel, McMillan hunter stock. I’ve had it for more than 20 years. Use it for coyote calling and it’s highly effective. Had another similar, only heavier barrel. Shot the rifling out of that one, on PDs. And still another VSSF, a great gun, but I sold it as barrel heat and recoil is more than I wanted in a PD gun. So I sold it.

NRA Patron
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I shot out 4 swifts, then went to the 22/250 AI...never looked back, never trimmed another piece of brass for that case...never...since 1987!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by keith
I shot out 4 swifts, then went to the 22/250 AI...never looked back, never trimmed another piece of brass for that case...never...since 1987!

Agreed. In the early 90s Norma brass went from hard to find to impossible to find. The WW stuff wasn't great & the new Hornady/Frontier stuff was poor. I took a 22-250 Ackley in trade, test fired it, worked out the bugs, & sold all my Swifts except the Model 54. Having a chronograph helped with the decision.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All the 220 fans I knew were guys in their fifties back in Reagan's first term. They're not really fans of anything at all anymore...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey that’s just hurtful. 😁 74 here, still shooting and enjoying the swift. On my third one, all Ruger 77’s.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Perhaps because laser rangefinders have made shooting varmints at long ranges with 223s easier, so there is less demand for the 22-250, the 220 Swift, and the various 6mms and .257" bore cartridges for shooting pdogs and 'chucks that are way out there.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's alive and well with me.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

20 cal's became more popular.....with me any how

20-222.....20 Practical (20-223) 20 Vartarg (Fireball)

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was fortunate that my first experience with the Swift and my first experience with a Pre-64 Model 70 came in the same package. I'll be a fan of both for life!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I haven't done much with my old 77V 220 Swift in a while but it's still the king to me. I keep thinking I'll find a good deal on a lefty 700 SA to build a correctly handed Swift but other projects seem to take precedence and that old 77V and I have a lot of great history, despite the fact that Bill Ruger chose to put the bolt on the incorrect side. Guess I'll always be a Swift fan.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Swift is still my longer range varmint rifle, an early flat bolt M77V. I go easy on the barrel, and it has held up well for a lot of years. On prairie dogs, the .17HMR gets the nod to about 175 yards, then it’s Swift time.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Me too. Bought me first Swift as a limited production Ruger M77V back in 1975. Been a huge fan ever since. Never ever have I gone on a prairie dog hunt and not taken one along. Sacrilege. I have lots of other calibers and dearly love them all. But the Swift is the King. Always has been, always will be. Period.

Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes,food stamps, free section 8 housing, a forty oz malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordans and he'll vote Democrat for life.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Mine sports a 26 inch #3 contour 1/14 twist ss/Cutrifled Mark Chanlynn bbl,older Ruger Flat bolt/M77V action,Canjarset trigger,glass bedded into an older fiberglass stock ,it's name can't remember , yeah she's not going nowhere ,LOL.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wish Tikka would make a run of Swift’s in a 1 in8 twist barrel.

Last edited by hanco; 11/22/20.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I hope it doesn’t fade to dust. I have a swift in a Ruger #1 that hasn’t been fired yet, new in 94 if I recall. As soon as I can get an FX3 on it I’ll take it out and break it in. With the longer barrel I maybe will use it on long range coyotes. Take some work off the .243.
A case of 40 grain ammo for it arrived a couple weeks ago so when the glass arrives I’ll get it ready for my years first run thru the western states.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut

20 cal's became more popular.....with me any how

20-222.....20 Practical (20-223) 20 Vartarg (Fireball)

20 cal bullets are still available on store shelves....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shot out the barrel on my first 220 Swift at about 3k rds used to push 50 & 52 gr bullets to damn fast with 4064. When I replaced it with another 77v I backed off max went to ball powders and slowed way up on quantity of rounds used at the dog town. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They started running 55/58 grain bullets in their .24 calibers.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
R
Traded off my swift many years ago, it has just never made it back to the top of the " I want now list". Definitely a fun round, especially for reloaders...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Put one up for sale in classifieds ,they will come out of the woodwork and blow up your PM.

Sarge

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My coyote hunting buddy turned me on to 220 swift a while back. I've bought every one I've seen for sale since then.....1

IAFF local 1609
Lifetime member NRA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
They started running 55/58 grain bullets in their .24 calibers.

Eeww...

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Civilization did it in around here. Houses everywhere.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Many varmint shooters are shooting heavier bullets with better SD & BC's these days. Most Swift rifles rate of twist doomed the cartridge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Many varmint shooters are shooting heavier bullets with better SD & BC's these days. Most Swift rifles rate of twist doomed the cartridge.

Now this is just funny. The Swifts 14 twist doomed it, but I would like you to explain why for 35-40 years after the Swifts demise in 64 that starting in 65 they made and sold a boatload of 22.250’s with that same [bleep] 14 twist. The Swift was doomed in 1936 when Wotkyns and Gebby introduced the 22 Varminter.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostman

I never had an issue w the twist.

Shot 55 grain Ballistic Tips just fine and killed schitt way out.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i am still a fan of the 220 Swift, one of my 220 Swifts rides with me every day of the year. .I use 60 gr. Nosler partitions and 60 gr. B.T with a 1-10 twist Brux barrel on my Ruger # 1 shoots great.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I found this thread which struck a cord as my very first groundhog kill was with a 220 swift. The rifle belonged to a college buddy of mine, a pre-64 model 70
of course but had been purchased by his father when he was a small child in the very southern part of coal country of West Virginia. His dad was a WWII veteran and a coal miner of course.

When my college buddy was a small child his mother had given his dad $200.00 to my some furniture for the house, when his dad returned he had the pre-64 220 swift and no furniture. His mother was spitting mad but his dad kept the rifle. Over the years growing up he said his dad had "sold the 220 swift several times and each time when his mother discovered the rifle gone......she had his dad go buy that rifle back which he did.

The 220 swift left enough impression on me that some years later I bought a Ruger model 77 heavy barrel in 220 swift. That rifle would shoot tiny
bug holes with a Sierra 52 gr and IMR- 4320.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Greg,

thanks for posting that...far southern part of WVa, that is where the stork delivered me to...Lots of family, and Lord knows they sure use to have a lot of ground hogs...but guess Coyotes moving in have cut those numbers down quite a bit... and in a pre 64 Model 70...

Guy here in town, always love to run into me at the range, because I turn green when he brings his Grandpa's 1941 purchased Model 54 in 220 Swift.... it had an Alaskan 6 power Leupold thrown on top sometime in the 50s...this thing looks like its 6 months old... it was his grandpa's only rifle he saw him with as a kid... and Grandpa was a hunter and used it for EVERYTHING... nuisance varmints to elk... and in those days getting an elk every season around here was no big deal... they were a dime a dozen...

I have a Husqvarna in 270, that I have been thinking of rebarreling to a Swift ever since I got it... but also have a Marlin X 7, I've also had pretty much the same idea of doing since I got that one also... but the Swift doesn't give me anything the 22.250s I have don't.... except the cool factor...22.250s are cool, especially the one I have with a one in 7 twist, but is still not as cool as a 220 Swift... especially if it is on a Model 70 or Model 54 action...

never shot that many Groundhogs on relatives' farms down in WVa, have sure shot a bunch of prairie dogs and millions of Sage rats.. ya don't need a Swift for that...at all...and that was out here.. ya know someone would pop up and tell me there is no prairie dogs in WVa...
after all this is the campfire....

hey hope that stuff on the 444 helped you out some..

cheers and best regards my friend...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All those 220 Swift lovers puffed out their chests, gave each other knowing nods, and went skipping off into the sunset together.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Swift fans are out there, just pretty quite. All busy trimming brass.....😁

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I still have 220's, but been thinning my herd down a bit. Not that I totally want to be empy but with health Conditions I just do t want tons sitting around. I'll probably stay with one of my #1 220's (red pad) and also keep Tons of bullets and power on hand. They are beyond flat shooting and if you don't heat them up to much and trade out off and on during varmit shooting they'll last !

A im Far !
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
What good is a rifle if you can't get brass for it? One of about 50 cartridges Win has killed. Now that Win is running the Lake City plant they will most likely try to discontinue 5.56 and 50BMG ammo.

Jim Gibson
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The first new rifle i ever bought was a ruger 77v with 26" barrel this was in the early 70,s. I put a redfield 4x12 duplex scope on it,the scope cost pretty near as much as the rifle. I have shot everything from woodchucks to deer with it,and it will be the last rifle i get rid of. I was shooting 52 grain sierra hollow point boattail match ammo at around 3700 fps,pretty much keep inside a nickel at 200 yds . We swift owners just grin when were told the swift is dead !!!! grin grin

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
FatAlbert: "I" have a "lifetime" supply of 220 Swift brass for my mini-hoard (9) of 220 Swift Rifles so "my" 220 Swifts ARE all "good"!
The other 4 collector type 220 Swifts I own won't be getting shot by me but when I sell them in a year or two the new owners may have to look around a bit for loading components or ammo if THEY want to shoot them. I have seen both Hornady and Nosler 220 Swift brass on shelves in the past 6 months around here as well as want ads selling this in Winchester and Norma brands.
I guess if you (Winchester?) invent a cartridge you (Winchester) can decide to quit making brass or cartridges for it.
I have not heard that Winchester has quit either - have you?
Long live the wonderful 220 Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The first deer I ever took was with my grandpas M77 .220 Swift. It was a cold, foggy morning that turned to snow in a hurry and we were out early in the morning checking the cows. The deer was bedded across a small draw and the fog lifted and grandpa looked at me and said “do you think you can hit him?” The deer stood up and I touched of that rifle and the deer took off like a shot, ran straight into a small pile of buck brush. He was dead before he hit the brush but I’ll never forget how he dove into that brush breaking off branches that were 2” in diameter. I own three .220 swifts today, Grandpas M77, a Ruger #1 that likes the 60 grainers like Pete53 refer to above and a Rem 700 Classic. Working on a fourth at the moment, had the itch to build a fast twist .220 swift. Currently have a 1:8 twist barrel at my local gunsmith waiting for find a donor action to put it on.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”- Augustus McCrae
“It’s better to have it, and not need it; than to need it and not have it.” - Woodrow Call
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
We swift owners just grin when were told the swift is dead !!!! grin grin

Couldn’t agree more

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”- Augustus McCrae
“It’s better to have it, and not need it; than to need it and not have it.” - Woodrow Call
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think flat shooting cartridges like the swift lost some of their appeal when laser rangefinders and low drag bullets became common.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
22 Creed and the 22/250 AI will kill off the Swift.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amazing, 57 years after its discontinuation people still debate when it will die, not only that but they continue to compare other cartridges to it. There is only 2 things that will kill the Swift, one has already happened as there is only one so called factory rifle chambered for it, Cooper.
Remington produced 1 but they are deader than the Swift.
When Ruger quit chambering the round the death bell was banging hard.
What will really kill it is when the last of the boomers go off into the sunset.
Anymore people want the newest fangled thing out there even if it doesn’t do anything different or better. 22.250 AI is only what 70 years old and dying, why because nobody chambers a factory rifle for it. 22.250 is 84 ( also known as the Original Wotkyns Swift) and going strong.
Keep comparing and debating about a 86 year old cartridge.

Swifty
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not rob this thread but can a Remington 600 be rebarreled for a 220 Swift. If so I would think this would make a great varmint rifle.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
About 30 years ago I was at a gun store looking at rifles. I was wanting a designated coyote rifle. They had nothing for me.
I went outside to leave when a elderly lady asked me if I could help her. I said sure. She had a few long guns in her truck she wanted to sell and needed help carrying them in. I said what you got? There was a Winchester O/U, a Ruger tang safety 220 Swift with a12x leupold scope on it and a single shot shotgun.
I asked her how much for the Ruger. She said it was brand new and never fired. Her husband had bought it to go PD hunting out west but never did. She said he had bought it 20-30 years ago then. I bought it for $400
According to the serial number it was made in 1973.
She is in excellent condition but has killed many animals of all shapes and sizes.
I shoot Hornady SPSX 50 grain powered by 4064 in it for tiny groups.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ldholton
Swift fans are out there, just pretty quite. All busy trimming brass.....😁

Trimming brass also means brass is flowing into the neck creating thickness issues.......YIKES!!!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
At what number of rounds do people find the need to trim the Swift? I have yet to need to do it, but I am only on my 2nd loading on most of my brass. Same with the 300 H&H, another cartridges that is supposed to require more trimming. I thought I would have to trim them by now since they are on their 2nd and 3rd firing, but there is a lot of room left to grow.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Just-a

Just more BS from people who never owned either.
3 Swifts and 3 300 H&Hs in my safe.
Reload just like anything else.

Own 5 of these, among them a Swift and 300 H&H.

Bottom one in 300 H&H Bull Gun

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
At what number of rounds do people find the need to trim the Swift? I have yet to need to do it, but I am only on my 2nd loading on most of my brass. Same with the 300 H&H, another cartridges that is supposed to require more trimming. I thought I would have to trim them by now since they are on their 2nd and 3rd firing, but there is a lot of room left to grow.

It all depends. Chamber, quality of brass and how hard you push it. No set rule. In my situation I neck size only until after firing 4 times, at that point I always full length size, anneal and trim the brass back to 2.20 as my swift shoots better with a little longer neck. I also have a neck turner so if the brass does thicken at the neck or I start getting the dreaded donut it’s easily taken care of. Going this route I have some Norma brass that’s on it 16th firing. At this point all I use is Norma as Remington and Winchester brass really went to sh*t as far as quality. The last of those I bought had Winchester black bag was a 30% cull rate and the Remington was worse which is a pure shame as I have some Win stuff bought around 02 that I am saving as it was just as consistent as any Norma.

Last edited by Swifty52; 05/30/21.

Swifty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I love my 1948 vintage Winchester model 70, with a Ultra Varmint Unertle scope, 220 Swift! Lot of chucks, and a few Coyotes, went down over the years!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 05/30/21. Reason: spelling

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
HunterShooter58: What power was (is) your Unertl Ultra-Varmint?
I loved those scopes and had them in both 12 and 15 powers.
Only have a few Unertls left.
Wish now I had kept them all.
Do have a mint perfect Unertl BV-20 and that is a gem of an optic!
Sad day when Unertl went under.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
On the beach, you have some ultra cool rifles.. Awesome.. Those are worth all the plastic rifles made.. Love em..

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Yup and be back to WYO in 3 weeks to blow out the dust.

Here's my custom Swift that I just found a gloss Leupie 6.5-20x40 for:

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
On the beach, you have some ultra cool rifles.. Awesome.. Those are worth all the plastic rifles made.. Love em..

Just a heads up folks, onthebeach= larry root. Just another sock puppet of an azzhole that had to go on ignore.

Swifty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Very nice rifle. Any more details.

Hal

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Just a heads up folks, Swifty 52 = Hating troll Just another azzhole that is going on ignore.

Ask any seller (well over 100) what a sac-o-sheet I am and then see what Swifty has done to advance others on the site.

Middle one is also a Swift

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Just a heads up folks, onthebeach= larry root. Just another sock puppet of an azzhole that had to go on ignore.

goodbye swifty, go back to under your desk

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by HalH
Very nice rifle. Any more details.

Hal

Yup complete custom except for action by a well known smith who has passed.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...llman-Barrel/lotInformation/58641849#Top

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 3 M70 target rifles were posted by NYNY in this post:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...atch-rifle-accuracy-reports#Post16065613

So either OnTheBeach is using other peoples images or they are one in the same….trolls.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have some Norma brass that’s on it 16th firing. At this point all I use is Norma.

To me this makes a huge difference with the 220 Swift, not on my 16th firing but Norma brass is night and day better than my Winchester brass

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Boatanchor: Just one of my many Rifles in caliber 220 Swift is set up/supplied with Norma 220 Swift brass and indeed that Rifle shoots extremely well.
Trouble is it is hard to come by (Norma 220 Swift brass).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SS336: The puzzle that is the troubled CampFirer, known as onthepeach, just keeps compounding itself!
I am waiting for onthepeach to try and answer your well founded posting!
I feel sorry for people like larryroot, onthepeach, slumload, small twig and boobiesarebrown!
There is obviously some disorder prevailing in their mental processes - or perhaps they are physically deformed in some way leading to these bizarre, anonymous, unprovoked, displays of anger/hostility.
And because of that, my puzzlement is overtaken by sorrow, for them.
In all honesty I wish there was something I could do to ease their pains.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My friend has a Cooper with a 1-7 twist. On a good condition day it will put 75 trainers 10 shots in an inch. Very accurate in my book. Ed

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Onthebeach= troll of the first magnitude. Some of his postings are cogent and well illustrated but trust me, he'll snap eventually and show his true colors. Maybe he'll even grace you with one of his childishly vile PM's which are what truly sets him apart from the rest of the cockroaches. Looking forward to the next one I get from him!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I always wanted one along with a 17 Remington. I remember reading Remington's yearly catalog as a kid. The back pages showed pictures of each cartridge with its Ballistics and Drop spec. The 220 swift amazed me with its size and over 4,000fps velocity

Last edited by andrews1958; 05/31/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My former partner bought a 40XBKSS in Swift late '80s. We burned out the 27" stainless barrel in about 4k rounds. Punched too much paper cuz it was such a joy to shoot. 0.25" to 0.4". But along the way killed truckloads of woodchucks and crows. We had .22-250 V models prior, and the 40x extended our effective range by almost 100 yds for us. That was eastern NYS.

Another friend in NYS used his 77V with 52 gr Speer HP (the old version) for turkeys and deer on a very large farm he managed.

Now live in ME, not much use for a Swift here. But still have two pre-64 70s - Target and Varmint. Both 1/2" guns.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

It all depends. Chamber, quality of brass and how hard you push it. No set rule. In my situation I neck size only until after firing 4 times, at that point I always full length size, anneal and trim the brass back to 2.20 as my swift shoots better with a little longer neck. I also have a neck turner so if the brass does thicken at the neck or I start getting the dreaded donut it’s easily taken care of. Going this route I have some Norma brass that’s on it 16th firing. At this point all I use is Norma as Remington and Winchester brass really went to sh*t as far as quality. The last of those I bought had Winchester black bag was a 30% cull rate and the Remington was worse which is a pure shame as I have some Win stuff bought around 02 that I am saving as it was just as consistent as any Norma.

Thanks.

I have Norma and Hornady.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I've had a Ruger M77V 220 since the '70s that I bought for shooting chucks on the farms in the NY Catskills. I used to have a blast knocking on doors and getting permission to help a farmer put a dent in his ground hog population. I'd love to get it out again, but there doesn't seem to be the numbers of chucks like there used to be. I don't know if it's due to poisoning or different Ag practices or what, but I sure do miss those days.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 06/01/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'll be buried with my swift. Have killed whitetails, Coues deer, a truckload of coyotes among a bunch of other varmints.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
HunterShooter58: What power was (is) your Unertl Ultra-Varmint?
I loved those scopes and had them in both 12 and 15 powers.
Only have a few Unertls left.
Wish now I had kept them all.
Do have a mint perfect Unertl BV-20 and that is a gem of an optic!
Sad day when Unertl went under.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

If memory serves me right, it's a 24X Ultra Varmint! I have a couple others, but I'm not sure what power they are. I really do love the old school Unertl's! Even the Lyman Targets copes are pretty good!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the current Swift fans just get a 22-250.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Swift has always been a rather poor case design. It's easy to meet/exceed it's capacity in a vastly superior vessel,of vastly improved quality. Along with same,comes a greatly diminished case length,which effectively lengthens COAL latitude and opens doors to vastly superior projectiles,that reduce drop/drift and bolster terminal effects. Win/win/win/win. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps. Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1:7 22 creed for me.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I see that the new Remington Arms are including the Swift in their lineup for model 700's.
https://www.remarms.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-varmint-sf

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have two Swifts a >22-250 ai, and a std . 22-250.. Next time I rebarrel the std. It will be to a swift.. Great cartridge.. I wonder how many of the nay sayers ever used one...

Molon Labe
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have two Swifts a >22-250 ai, and a std . 22-250.. Next time I rebarrel the std. It will be to a swift.. Great cartridge.. I wonder how many of the nay sayers ever used one...

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DocFoster
I see that the new Remington Arms are including the Swift in their lineup for model 700's.
https://www.remarms.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-varmint-sf

yes with a 14" twist!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had lots of Swifts(Remmie,Ruger,Sako,Winchester,Custom) and shot a lot more. Brass has always been an issue,as relative quality goes and spare me the Norma bullschit,as I simply shoot it all. Hint.

As the new and/or old 700's go,a 26" Swift cain't hang with their 20" 1-9" 223(LTR/Threaded 5R). Pardon my having shot it all. Hint.

Never did much care for the 22-250,if only again,because it too is a rather poor case design(Remmie,Ruger,Sako,Winchester,Custom). Hint.

Have shot a bunch of 22-250AI's(Remmie,Ruger,Weatherby,Sako,Winchester OEM punches and of course a bunch of Custom). Hint.

Though in fairness,I had multiple CHeetah's too(Mach 1's). Hint.

I get a kick out of you Crying CLUELESS Karens and your Dumbfhuqktitude. Hint.

Laughing!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I see the village idiot is slobbering on his self again . sis must have went home for a few days. he will quit trying to be smart when she gets back to put his pacifier back up his a$$ were he likes it 🤢🤢🤢

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crying Karen,

You were nearly "brazen" enough to say something about The Rifle,but even Melting Snowflakes as fhuqking STUPID as you,know better than to try...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I traded this one. It was accurate, just didn't use it that much.

We don't have PD's here and I was wanting a faster twist, high performance .22 cal. So, I now have an 8 twist .22-250 Shilen Mohawk.

It has pretty factory wood and I installed a Kepplinger trigger back before they got so expensive. New owner very happy.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/03/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had Numbah One's in both Swift(OEM) and 22 K-Hornet(Factory spout punched). Always preferred B-78's. Hint.

None of my 22-250's are faster than 7"(Mike Rock). Hint................

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Speaking of .220 Swifts, I have a like-new Ruger M77 MKII HB Target Rifle in .220 Swift that I plan to sell. It has a Leupold M-8 12x40mm Target scope with custom BDC, and will come with dies and 900 rounds of loaded ammunition. What should I ask for this rig?
[Linked Image]

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've had lots of Swifts(Remmie,Ruger,Sako,Winchester,Custom) and shot a lot more. Brass has always been an issue,as relative quality goes and spare me the Norma bullschit

I agree and understand some of your hatred of the Swift, it is an old fashioned poorly designed case.........
That said it still works and works well, the only reason I will always have one in my gun safe is the nostalgia factor.
It was the first center fire I ever bought when I was a teenager it served me then as it does now, shot about 50 prairie dogs with it yesterday and it still works great !!!!!! I shot many more with newer designed cartridges but nothing wrong with the old either, I prefer the Norma brass because it is much better than anything else for the Swift. sure you still have to trim it but not near as often and I have never had to neck turn it.
Obviously you are more a fan of the Gaymoor and Speedmire that have no nostalgia, but it's all good if you know the cartridge limitations and how to use it properly.....hint

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've had lots of Swifts(Remmie,Ruger,Sako,Winchester,Custom) and shot a lot more. Brass has always been an issue,as relative quality goes and spare me the Norma bullschit

I agree and understand some of your hatred of the Swift, it is an old fashioned poorly designed case.........
That said it still works and works well, the only reason I will always have one in my gun safe is the nostalgia factor.
It was the first center fire I ever bought when I was a teenager it served me then as it does now, shot about 50 prairie dogs with it yesterday and it still works great !!!!!! I shot many more with newer designed cartridges but nothing wrong with the old either, I prefer the Norma brass because it is much better than anything else for the Swift. sure you still have to trim it but not near as often and I have never had to neck turn it.
Obviously you are more a fan of the Gaymoor and Speedmire that have no nostalgia, but it's all good if you know the cartridge limitations and how to use it properly.....hint

While I do agree with most sentiments you posted especially nostalgia which has basically kept the Swift alive. That said, not all Norma brass is created equal. I bought 300 rounds of Norma Swift brass in 25 round padded boxes back about 2010 fully prepped. Bought 300 rounds bulk at about 40 cents less, big difference cull rate on bulk was 10-15 %.

Swifty
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]//postimg.cc/HcpPKfjM][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Brass quality substandard
Case design antiquated
Twist rate a constraint

But sometimes they still shoot

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bartman
Brass quality substandard
Case design antiquated
Twist rate a constraint

But sometimes they still shoot

Better than most think

Swifty
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The twist 1-14 or 1=12 is fine for my needs.. I don't want to shoot an 80 gr. bullet out of my .22's.. I want them shooting fast explosive bullets of the bullet is destroyed once it hits a prairie dog or coyote.. if I want to shoot heavy long bullets, I will use a bigger caliber..

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I recall a article stating Nosler used the 220 Swift to test their 22 caliber bullets due to its accuracy potential. May have changed by now with new cartridges and may have been wrong even when I read it, Don't know. But my Swift is more accurate than the .22-250 I had. Maybe it was the rifles used.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The twist 1-14 or 1=12 is fine for my needs.. I don't want to shoot an 80 gr. bullet out of my .22's.. I want them shooting fast explosive bullets of the bullet is destroyed once it hits a prairie dog or coyote.. if I want to shoot heavy long bullets, I will use a bigger caliber..

I have to wholeheartedly agree. Light bullets driven fast still have value in the shooting world. I kind of have to yawn when I get told about the great value of long, heavy bullets and how far behind the times I am for not having a fast twist 22 caliber. I find it difficult to believe an 80 grain bullet from a 220 Swift is going to have the same dramatic effect on a ground squirrel as a 40 grain at full throttle.

For better or worse, I’ll keep my Swift and my 40-55 grain bullets. Like you, I have others that will handle heavy bullets should I desire them.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I recall a article stating Nosler used the 220 Swift to test their 22 caliber bullets due to its accuracy potential. May have changed by now with new cartridges and may have been wrong even when I read it, Don't know. But my Swift is more accurate than the .22-250 I had. Maybe it was the rifles used.

That is not just a case of one, I have always gotten better accuracy with the Swift than a 22-250 in several rifles of each. just like I can always make a 222 shoot more accurate than a 223

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Just A Hunter: You touch on a great point - each Rifle is an individual and accuracy may/will vary.
But among the many 220 Swifts I own is a splendidly accurate all factory stock Remington 40XB-KS in 220 Swift that shoots Varmint style bullets into VERY small groupings.
In fact just a while back I was double checking a load for "drop" and at 200 yards on an only fair day conditions wise, the Rifle/cartridge made a 5 shot group at 200 yards that measured .891".
Now it has shot better groups (M.O.A. wise) at other distances but on that somewhat windy day in slight mirage conditions with Varmint style bullets I was VERY pleased with that performance.
I have been shooting both the 220 Swift and the 22-250 Remington for over half a century now and currently own and shoot 23 (twenty three!) Varmint weight Rifles in 22-250 Remington and 220 Swift calibers and I am hard pressed to give the "accuracy edge" to either cartridge!
If pressed, intensely, I would have to give the slightest edge in accuracy to the many 22-250's I own now and have owned in the past compared to my 220 Swifts.
But that accuracy edge "opinion" is, again, VERY slight.
Long live the 220 Swift (and the 22-250 Remington!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Twist is the main reason I traded my .220 Swift #1 and built an 8 twist .22-250. (6mm shot out Mohawk now wearing a 22" Shilen barrel)

I picked up these 75 gr. bullets from Midway. They said 80 gr. but I found out they were 75 gr. TAP/SBR, 5.56x45 Hornady surplus bullets, not available to handloaders. I picked up a few more from a Fire contributor.

At .22-250 speeds, they should be pretty destructive on WT's, hogs and such. Just never tried it.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
>> still a great coyote killin rifle in my hands !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
one of the reasons winchester chose the combination they used instead of the 22 250 or a faster twist than 1/14, might be that the 22 250 wasn't around until 1937 and the bullets requiring a fast twist wouldn't show up for a long, long while. the 219 didn't show up 'til the late 30's either.

Last edited by wahoo; 06/11/21.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wahoo
one of the reasons winchester chose the combination they used instead of the 22 250 or a faster twist than 1/14, might be that the 22 250 wasn't around until 1937 and the bullets requiring a fast twist wouldn't show up for a long, long while. the 219 didn't show up 'til the late 30's either.

This isn’t true. Fact is Winchester turned down the Wotkyns Swift in 34. Based on Savage brass was the killer along with supposedly not thick enough web to give a 45 grain bullet 4000+ FPS.

Swifty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed. Read Landis's writings about .22 caliber varmint rifles amid the Golden Era of same in the 1930's and the history that led to what we now (often erroneously) take as fact. He was there in the thick of it and wrote quite eloquently. The .250-3000 was massaged with .22 bullets by experimenters like Niedner and Donaldson starting almost as soon as Savage introduced the .250 right before WWI, when standard .22 centerfire groove diameter was still .228". Wildcatters started necking down the 6mm Lee-Navy around the time our grandfathers (and great grandfathers) were born (ie: what we now call the .220 Swift). No new concepts under the 21st century sun, rather lots better hardware.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I've had a Ruger M77V 220 since the '70s that I bought for shooting chucks on the farms in the NY Catskills. I used to have a blast knocking on doors and getting permission to help a farmer put a dent in his ground hog population. I'd love to get it out again, but there doesn't seem to be the numbers of chucks like there used to be. I don't know if it's due to poisoning or different Ag practices or what, but I sure do miss those days.

Same here had my 77V since the 70's ..Always killed chucks with my BIL in WV while home on leave.. Its still a worthwhile rocket for those of us in the know !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
... Wildcatters started necking down the 6mm Lee-Navy around the time our grandfathers (and great grandfathers) were born (ie: what we now call the .220 Swift).

In 1911, Charles Newton was experimenting with a 22 wildcat cartridge based on the Lee Navy case. It's likely the bullet was a .228 because Newton had just finished developing the 22 Hi-Power for Savage. Even earlier, in 1909 Dr. Franklin Mann was trying out the Lee Navy case necked down to take a .226 bullet. When he attempted to obtain 3000 fps, pressures caused primers to blow and cases to distort. Bullet weight was not reported.

Success with 22 bullets in cases of larger capacity had to wait for production of the first IMR powders, 3031 and then 4064. In the early 1930s Wotkyns had a leg up on other 22 experimenters because his military connections allowed him early access to these powders.

(Grandfathers? Great-grandfathers? You're speaking for yourself, young'un. When my grandfathers were born, smokeless powder was really new, and the trapdoor Springfield was pretty hot stuff when my great-grandfathers first showed up.)

--Bob

Last edited by BullShooter; 06/12/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the reference sources i have support my post. i am not familiar with mr landis work. harvey donaldson was a giant in this area, and his best effort, the 219 wasp didn't come out until the late 30s. if efforts to develop the 22 250 started in 1909, why did the hornet attract attention when it came out in 1930?

obviously, in 1909, powders weren't available to make the swift or the 22 250 work.

as to fast twist,the military has different objectives than hunters. does the velocity you lose balance out the increase in bc? i think there are a lot of guys, who are still a minority, who look at most any cartridge and say that the developers should have done something different. i think most of the guys who develop cartridges know what they are trying to do. .the overwhelming majority of the most popular cartridges are rather old.

good discussion though. i got my first swift because they were trading them in for 243s. i got my first for $65. i have had a 22 250 and it is a great round. it has fairly won the popularity contest.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the reference sources i have support my post. i am not familiar with mr landis work. harvey donaldson was a giant in this area, and his best effort, the 219 wasp didn't come out until the late 30s. if efforts to develop the 22 250 started in 1909, why did the hornet attract attention when it came out in 1930?

The trouble with what a lot of us now consider "reference sources" were erroneous from the get-go, based on hearsay/old wive's tales/intuitiveness, and as such is highly suspect. So much dreck has been written generations ago that became quoted and re-quoted over the years and finally settled into our collective consciousness as fact.

As for the Hornet, it became an overnight success because it filled an important niche in the world of .22 CF's, exactly why it remains extremely popular today. You gotta remember there were no factory .22 CF's as we know them today on the market in 1930. None. (And don't say there was the Savage .22 High Power. It used a 70 grain .228" bullet and was really intended/viewed as a deer cartridge.) It opened the eyes of a public that had no concept of light frangible bullets at high velocity and showed the way into a sport that took off like wildfire - varmint hunting - and the race for better/faster cartridges was on.

And speaking of the Savage .22 High Power, neck it down to use .224" bullets and voila, you have the .219 Zipper. Again, nothing much new under the sun even in the mid-30's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

The trouble with what a lot of us now consider "reference sources" were erroneous from the get-go, based on hearsay/old wive's tales/intuitiveness, and as such is highly suspect. So much dreck has been written generations ago that became quoted and re-quoted over the years and finally settled into our collective consciousness as fact.

While this may be true I have found that writings by Newton, Landis and Dr. Mann were entertaining and informative another writer Phillip Sharpe put a lot of it into context.
Now not only were the bullets used not .224 the other major difference is that the 220 Swift brass was not available nor is it the same as the 6mm Lee Navy brass that had been played with prior. Lee Navy brass was semi rimmed .448 bolt face. Winchester added approximately.025 to rim and also thickened the base/ extractor groove to 20 thou larger. This actually strengthened the web which allowed them to push the velocities they did.
Now Sharpe published the actual factory loads using 4064 and 3031 they must of had chronograph much more sophisticated than an Oehler as 41 grains 4064 under a 45 grain bullet purportedly had a velocity of 4250@ 53ft. Or 39 grains 3031 under a 48 grain bullet attaining 4140 FPS @53 ft. were both unattainable by me. I did match those velocities but not with those powders or at 53 ft. Yowzaa them things were hot.
Here again it goes back to the sketchy writings that attributed Winchester as turning down the Wotkyns Swift design due to case strength to handle the velocities that they wanted.
I do own and shoot both and have not found any significant difference in accuracy.

Swifty
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Is anyone here shooting Calhoun 52 gr Double HP out of their 220 Swift?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jethro15
Is anyone here shooting Calhoun 52 gr Double HP out of their 220 Swift?

Why would you limit the Swift with a bullet that has max velocity of 3600 FPS? Both a 22.250 and Swift will push a 52 2-300 FPS over that easily. If I was to use that it would be in a 223 where max velocity w/52’s is about 3500 at best.

Swifty
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Blaserman: I can't believe I did it but last Wednesday I came across a mint condition Remington 40-X Rangemaster in caliber 220 Swift at a distant gunshop!
It "called to me" and I had to bring it home.
Like I needed another 220 Swift.
Anyway it came from an estate to the gunshop on consignment and at the price it was offered I had to have it.
As always when "gun-shopping" I had my bore inspection tool along to verify the barrel condition and it appeared in excellent shape with virtually no wear at the leades to the rifling.
The trigger was excellent at a repeating 20 ounces and the single shot action just enhanced my eagerness to add this one to my arsenal/collection.
I will be mounting a Leupold 6.5x20 scope on it today and may be shooting it later this week (even though it is smokey as heck at my Rifle range).
I will be gathering brass to dedicate to this Rifle and that may be a problem - til then I will "rob" some brass from another of my Swift's for load development.
Long live the 220 Swift!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Speaking of the smoke, it is so thick hereabouts (SW Montana) that I have been enduring recurring bouts of nausea, headaches, eyestrain (along with red and itchy eyes) and malaise.
I hope none of you other CampFirers are as troubled as am I by this smoke from the now 80 forest fires in the west!
The VarmintWife seems immune to the smoke and is bouncing around the house like a teeny-bopper.
Dang her hide.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by trplem
All the 220 fans I knew were guys in their fifties back in Reagan's first term. They're not really fans of anything at all anymore...

That's so true and why I would never want one. I use a 225 Winchester instead. Keeping up with the times, you know? laugh

1967 magazine ad

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I may have new brass, if so proly Winchester.
In case anybody looking.
Will go dig tomorrow to verify.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool old ad, 1967. 225 Win was only 3 years old and would be dead and epitaph of another dud 4 years later.

Swifty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by trplem

That's so true and why I would never want one. I use a 225 Winchester instead. Keeping up with the times, you know? laugh

1967 magazine ad

The 225 Winchester was a dog turd.........it's only saving grace was the 6.5JDJ !!!!!!!!
probably more popular than the parent round.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not at all. JD recognized the power of the 225 Win case and the energy aura it emitted. It was the beginning of much innovation and power. It still exists today.

The 220 Swift didn't generate the same aura. Sorry. 😐

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
argue all you want about other 22 cartridges but the old 220 Swift people still try and i say try to compare there favorite 22 center fire cartridge with the king of the 22`s = 220 Swift which is still killin varmints ! yes i may own plenty other different 22 centerfire cartridges but for callin coyotes or run`n hounds on coyotes hand me my 220 Swift with some 60 gr. Nosler Partitions, because good coyote hides add up too money no matter what your age is .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not at all. JD recognized the power of the 225 Win case and the energy aura it emitted. It was the beginning of much innovation and power. It still exists today.

The 220 Swift didn't generate the same aura. Sorry. 😐

Now Steve, J.D didn’t keep the 225 alive he just took a plain ass dud that Winchester built and turned the brass into something useful. Since the 225 was based on a 219 zipper case (modified 30-30 case) that had the rim turned down from .504 to a semi rimmed .473 to fit a standard bolt face, which coincidentally works extremely well in single shot falling block or break open actions (Lordy Lordy can we say Thompson Contenders) and used that turd to his benefit.

It wasn’t that the round did anything special which it didn’t, it couldn’t beat the Swift and could barely keep up with the 22.250 which is why it died in 7 years. The Swift is still talked about, used as a benchmark to this day whereas the 225 Winchester is nothing more than a foot note just like the 220 Rocket and a number of others that also died a quick death and disappeared into history as failures.

Swifty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You can say that all you want, but it doesn't change a thing. 😄 The 225 Winchester was the impetus that changed the cartridge world.

You cannot fight the power of the force.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve: I have a 1965 M70 in 225 and love it. But I didn’t know the cartridge changed the cartridge world. Could you expound on that, please. Thanks

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 225 brass inspired JD Jones to use it in his cartridges. He's a smart cookie and has demonstrated his skills.

It has thicker brass walls, not only for JDJ cartridges, but for those who still shoot the 225. With a minimum of care, they can last longer.

In tandem with the above, they work marvelously in single shots because of their strength, thicker brass and rim.

The last reason is that they simply look cool.

In Star Wars, when Obi Wan was "killed" by Darth Vader, Obi-Wan came back stronger than ever.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 225 brass inspired JD Jones to use it in his cartridges. He's a smart cookie and has demonstrated his skills.

It has thicker brass walls, not only for JDJ cartridges, but for those who still shoot the 225. With a minimum of care, they can last longer.

In tandem with the above, they work marvelously in single shots because of their strength, thicker brass and rim.

The last reason is that they simply look cool.

In Star Wars, when Obi Wan was "killed" by Darth Vader, Obi-Wan came back stronger than ever.

That is hardly earth shaking change the world type stuff. The thing that JD had that was ground breaking is that he started working with a man named Jurass who had been playing with jacketed HP bullets in the 357 mag. Teamed up with JD they made the first ever 110 JHP +P ammunition for the 357 mag and later 38 special +P and 45 acp + P which was marketed to police departments around the US under the Super Vel name in 1967 which indeed did shake up the world. This however had nothing to do with the 225. Super Vel went under in 71 or 72 at which time Jurass went back to working with JD on high performance hunting rounds for Thompson Contenders and SSK industries was born.

Absolutely nothing groundbreaking or Earth stand still came from the 225 Winchester.

Swifty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're allowed to think that. 😄

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I always loved the swift. Still do
But for varmints the 20 tac and 204 have made the big guns obsolete. I used to shoot a lot of 220 22-250 and a 6-250
The 20s just flat more pleasant to
Shoot all day. And don’t give up much
Swift is still a bad azz coyote gun with 55 gr bullets

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
.........................................fast twist barrels, twisty scope knobs, rangefinders and long bullets.

Trump Won!
T
T
I’m interested. If still available. Joined campfire just to respond here.

Thanks

Tony

T
T

Last edited by tfrost33; 12/20/21.
T
T
Sorry for the redundancy here folks. I’m brand new to the forum and obviously did something wrong to include the quote 5 times...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where is the 225 today? Not many people wanted it, nor do I know anyone that cries over its passing. It was an answer to a question that was never asked, in my opinion.
As far as the 220 Swift, my cousin has one in Remington 40x, the barrel looks shot out but it’s a nail driver. I know if another one owned by people I know.

Personally, the 22-250AI, is as close as it gets for me. My 22-250AI is very accurate and has all I need for a top end 22 caliber. The brass is cheaper, I like the design better.

With the 22 Creedmoor or the 22-250AI filling in this power level I doubt the 220 Swift will ever return.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco

Yeah, for sure.

I think twist was a weak spot for those of us who like heavier bullets.

I traded a .220 Swift, a #1 Ruger with drop dead beautiful factory wood.

I have a fast twist .22-250, Shilen barrel on a Mohawk. Not nearly as pretty, but I like it better.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by hanco

Yeah, for sure.

I think twist was a weak spot for those of us who like heavier bullets.

I traded a .220 Swift, a #1 Ruger with drop dead beautiful factory wood.

I have a fast twist .22-250, Shilen barrel on a Mohawk. Not nearly as pretty, but I like it better.

DF

A gunsmith that I used to know, told me that a Swift was at it's best with light fast bullets. But, I thought being able to shoot heavier would be nice too.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
Where is the 225 today? Not many people wanted it, nor do I know anyone that cries over its passing. It was an answer to a question that was never asked, in my opinion.
As far as the 220 Swift, my cousin has one in Remington 40x, the barrel looks shot out but it’s a nail driver. I know if another one owned by people I know.

Personally, the 22-250AI, is as close as it gets for me. My 22-250AI is very accurate and has all I need for a top end 22 caliber. The brass is cheaper, I like the design better.

With the 22 Creedmoor or the 22-250AI filling in this power level I doubt the 220 Swift will ever return.

Or a 243/6mm running a 55 grain bullet over 4000 fps.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/20/21.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My friend had Cooper build one for him with a 7 twist barrel. Shoots heavy bullets into a knot at 200 yards and very well at 600 also. I can’t believe a 22 caliber in a heavier rifle can be uncomfortable to shoot. Edk

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't think that it was of a case of what happened to the Swift as much as the change in shooting opportunities left it behind.

Decades ago when the Swift was the hot number the main use was for long-range targets such as woodchucks, crows and other varmints that folks usually only got the occassional shot at. Then starting a few years ago shooters discovered Prairie Dog shooting and ground squirrel shooting and all of a sudden there were a ton of people who took up shooting them.

It did not take most folks very long to discover that a couple of hundred rounds or more a day was hard on the barrel life of the Swift. Between that and the introduction of plastic tipped bullets all of sudden you had smaller chambered rifles, such as the 204, 223, etc, that could reach out and touch stuff just like a Swift but at less recoil, noise, disruption of sight picture, and a much longer barrel life.

I am not taking anything away from the Swift, it is impressive for the occasional shot but it is more horsepower than needed in most cases.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think that’s a fair summary.

DF

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,737 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.