24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best? One that fits, is reliable and it won’t hurt if it’s a good looker. My “bests”?

Ithaca 37 20 ga
Winchester 50 12 ga
Beretta 686 12 ga
WC Scott 20 SxS
W&C Scott & Son Damascus 12 ga SxS
JP Sauer & Sohn 16 ga O/U
Stevens 311 16 ga for when I’m gonna wallow in the mud with pigs.

Used to have a H&R Topper .410 but I grew up and gave it to a nephew

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
OK folks, I really appreciate all the responses but have to go a different direction. This is a Christmas gift and a little more intel tells me he wants an over/under. Recommendations in the < $1400 range?

Thanks,

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Used Beretta, Browning, SKB...

Last edited by MOGC; 11/10/20.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by saskfox
A model 37 Ithaca for me. After owning and still owning O/U's and auto's gas and inertia nothing puts the game in the bag as consistently as my 37's .

I have Ithacas and 870's. It is tough to choose between them. With a 26-28" VR barrel, a smoothbore 20-21" rifle sight barrel with screw chokes and a rifled cantilever barrel you can be set for most anything.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
OK folks, I really appreciate all the responses but have to go a different direction. This is a Christmas gift and a little more intel tells me he wants an over/under. Recommendations in the < $1400 range?

Thanks,

John

Browning or Beretta. Whatever ones fit best.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You'll never go wrong with either one of the 3 B's....Especially with all the choke tubes available today.....Browning, Beretta or Benelli....Shoulder all 3 and see which one you like best.

Don't pick the fruit until it's ripe "Primal Dreams"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Been carrying my Benelli Montefeltro for 33 years; never failed to cycle anything.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Do it all shotguns abound, just pick one you like and feed it accordingly and everything will work out. With shotguns it's all about the image portrayed I tell you. With that in mind, I have tried to give a thumbnail of the action types commonly used.

SXS doubles, here are your romantics. They would prefer tweed, pipe smoke and the company of good friends on a hunt more than the actual killing. They like fine wine, British motorcars and the camaraderie around the fireplace. They don't hit much but are a lot of fun to be around.

O/U doubles, here is your alpha dog. Competitive lot they are. These guys shoot a lot of clays, They don't miss much. Shoot with these guys and you will go home with an inferiority complex. They need a bit of guidance in the brambles and you won't ever catch them near the water. Resist the urge to choke the sheit out of them while afield.

Inertia SA, here is the amphibious waterfowl assault force. Synthetic and waterproof coatings required because these guys will be in the water as much as out and the gun is guaranteed to be submerged on several occasions. Waterfowl shotguns are rarely passed down to the following generations because they don't last that long. 5 hard years of use with magnums and being wet and you will be ready for a new gun.

Gas SA, these are for the older, wiser alpha dogs that used to shoot O/U's but got tired of the pounding they took from a full day of 1 1/8 oz loads. Dirty guns they are, and a scrubbing is required to keep them running sometimes but they are comfortable. Back in the day before the Inertia craze, guys that showed up with gas guns were viewed with suspicion as city folk.

Pumps, this is the everyday get it done gun of the common man. Always works, inexpensive and durable. Once again, back in the day before everybody got all uppity this gun was used by everyone in the midwest except for city folks. Guys that use these are of a practical mind and good guys to hunt with.

Remember: shotguns are like golf clubs, you don't just go out with your five iron. The fun is having a bunch in you bag for each application/scenario.

DD if you are reading this you got some splainin' to do! Your exploits with the M37 20 gauge on pigs is legendary but you never told anybody about the 311 16 gauge. Just what are you cooking up in the laboratory now? Inquiring minds want to know.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Leaning toward one of these.

https://fabarmusa.com/l4s-initial-hunter/

Anyone have any experience with them?

John

These area good guns, I have one. Read Randy Wakeman's reviews on them.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

Thanks,

John

Nice Christmas gift! However, prices for a good O/U will make it hard to get a new one in that budget.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If push came to shove and I had to get rid of the other eleven, the one I would keep would be a 12ga 870. I prefer other guns for everything but waterfowl, but I've done it all with an 870 also.

You can get 12ga ammo to do ANYTHING (anyone need a flamethrower?) Change the stock and barrel and teach your kid to shoot with superlight target loads. Need to kill a turkey? a goose? shoot trap? squirrels? some a-hole that kicked in your back door? It'll do it all. I've seen guys have to borrow a goose guide's pump when their autos froze up. It's sometimes nice to have an extra shot when the only ducks of the day pile into the decoys or another rooster flushed just as you whiffed the first one - twice! It's the one I took on a caribou hunt to shoot ducks and ptarmigan when I thought it might fall out of the scabbard strapped to the wing of a SuperCub.

It would be boring but If I had to whittle it down to only one....

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
What AZ said.........X2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it’s not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don’t offer that option for their stocks anymore.

What do you shotgun aficionados recommend?

Thanks,

John

If I wanted a wood stock, all around shotgun, I would go with one of the new Browning A-5 semi-autos. For synthetic, a Benelli M2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's hard to go wrong with a 870 Wingmaster.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Rem 870
Ithaca 37
Winchester model 12
Lots of great guns out there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was going to recommend Franchi Affinity 3 as a general gun that works well and doesn't carry the benelli price tag, but seeing OU is what your after...

I would say browning or beretta, but you won't get them under $1400 often.

Check out a Franchi OU.

I

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3 numbers "870" Nuff said!

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
3 numbers "870" Nuff said!

True, buts it not an OU shotgun like the OP said he now wants.....Hb

G
G
Pick your flavor of Benelli or Beretta. Or a Model 12.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.