Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I am in he market to buy another 1911 and am considering one of these models
What t is the difference in them besides name and price?
Is there a quality advantage to series 80 or is there a better, newer model to consider?
I will use it as a carry gun while working around the farm, informal shooting.
Thanks for any advice you may offer
Phil

BP-B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'd get one with fixed sights. The NM is strictly competition with features for Bullseye.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Love my new-ish Gold Cup. Very good value, IMO.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
What type of holster are you using? are you restricted to using target loads?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
You want the best? Go with the current Gold Cup Trophy. It has it all. You might want to change out those damn blue grip panels.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You want the best, buy a Sig.

The only thing different about a Gold Cup is name & price, highly overrated & inflated price.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The new Gold Cups are superb pistols. The Kensight rear is a copy of the old BoMar (which was a very rugged rear sight) and inletted into the slide. Aluminum adjustable trigger. Series 70 firing system. I've had a couple thousand rounds of hard ball and SWC target stuff thru this one without a malfunction. The trigger was pretty good out of the box.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 11/08/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Colt's of today are just freaking outstanding. They're WAAAY better than the vaunted "Series 70" (the most overrated Colt's ever). The build quality is more like pre-Series 70 guns, but the bluing just isn't as nice as it used to be. Mostly because they do a little less polishing, and now use a new bluing solution that is a bit more matte in appearance.

But when it comes to actual shooting. Current products are more reliable, and generally more accurate. Triggers are better, sights are better, and most of the internals (not all) are still made in the old way. Personally, I think Colt has been flat killing it for the past 15 years, and they're just getting better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by labsandelk
Is there a quality advantage to series 80 or is there a better, newer model to consider?
Phil

So the Gold Cup is setup like a classic bullseye pistol. The Gold Cup Trophy is more like a combat competition pistol. Take a look at the two and see which one fits your style. I'm a sucker for the classics, but I own 1911's with all the modern features too.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Phil

So the Gold Cup National Match is setup like a classic bullseye pistol. The Gold Cup Trophy is more like a combat competition pistol. Take a look at the two and see which one fits your style. I'm a sucker for the classics, but I own 1911's with all the modern features too.
FIFY

Last edited by UPhiker; 11/09/20.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Colt's of today are just freaking outstanding. They're WAAAY better than the vaunted "Series 70" (the most overrated Colt's ever). The build quality is more like pre-Series 70 guns, but the bluing just isn't as nice as it used to be. Mostly because they do a little less polishing, and now use a new bluing solution that is a bit more matte in appearance.

But when it comes to actual shooting. Current products are more reliable, and generally more accurate. Triggers are better, sights are better, and most of the internals (not all) are still made in the old way. Personally, I think Colt has been flat killing it for the past 15 years, and they're just getting better.
I agree. I've owned 1911 types from pre-series 70 through present-day and the current guns are the best. If you wanted something that fed anything but Ball with regularity, you HAD to get a Gold Cup in the old series 70 days.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Reloder28

The only thing different about a Gold Cup is name & price, highly overrated & inflated price.

You just gonna throw out the best and leave it with SIG lmao.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why would someone buy a 1911 with the wrong name on it? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you mean a real NM, before either Series 70 or 80, I'd take that all day if it's good..............if it is, then it's a real gem.

Gold Cups are nice guns & I have mint condition Series 70 version, but I'd snatch up a pre-70 NM in a heartbeat.

Having said than, all the current guns are better IMO, than any of the Series 80's guns.

MM

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Colt's have always been overrated & still are.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y

Colt's have always been overrated & still are.

Me too, for the price of a 70's series NM or current model, the Dan Wesson better choice

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Phil

Look into a Special Combat Government. I think you'll be very impressed

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best ‘value’ in a Colt is the competition series. They have a NM marked barrel, beaver tail, Novak sights (FO front), slim extended thumb safety, great high grip undercut, and superb VZ grips.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a 1962 NM available if at all interested... not a collector grade, a great shooter grade.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I agree. I've owned 1911 types from pre-series 70 through present-day and the current guns are the best. If you wanted something that fed anything but Ball with regularity, you HAD to get a Gold Cup in the old series 70 days.

Same here. Very happy with the new ones..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
113 members (257 mag, 35, 160user, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 15 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.