Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by KC

Hunting in Alaska isn't expensive. That's true for both residents and nonresidents.

Hiring a bush plane is expensive. That's true for both nonresidents and residents.

Paying for a guided/outfitted hunt is expensive anywhere for anyone.

The trick is to do a DUI hunt without a bush plane. That's not an easy task. But it is doable.

DIY?

DUI is no bueno anywhere! wink

Au Contrare! Saw it in the paper once... two cars hit head-on on the Seward Highway; one was DUI driving the wrong way, but the other was just drunk, "driving the right way!"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hunted Alberta last year - guided - bush plane included for moose at less than half the price it would have cost me in Alaska. We only saw cows, but still.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bugger
I hunted Alberta last year - guided - bush plane included for moose at less than half the price it would have cost me in Alaska. We only saw cows, but still.

You can do cheap camping trips in Alaska too.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Wet clean-up on aisle 4!"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I kept trying to get my buddies to come up and deer hunt but none of them ever did. All they had to pay for was the flight to Alaska and their hunting license/tags.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by Bugger

You can do cheap camping trips in Alaska too.

No kidding. I know more than a few places to hunt. I even know ones where you can see quite a few bulls. But rarely a legal bull.

Anymore the idea that you can do a non flight hunt and have a quality hunt with better than a 25% chance of success, well its simply not there so much anymore. Even fly out hunts have been burned out, folks had cash, could fly out wheelers into the bush just to hunt.

I know of one area where a 60 inch bull was easy. And its gone to the point that a legal 50 is awful hard to find.

I'm not sure last time KC was up, but things continue to change. And the big mop up on cows close to the road systems for the benefit of the insurance companies has cut moose numbers particularly a LOT where we hunt/hunted. Where we used to see moose all over, we see moose now and then sometimes not for a week or more at a time.

It does not help that in the non air accessed places people continue to feel the need that they have to have a wheeler trail like a checkerboard every half mile or mile it seems. I know that the moose in one area have not been overly thinned, but I cannot find where they have relocated to much, except for the fact they seem to be much more nocturnal than they used to be. And very knowledgable of what a wheeler or boat sounds like coming close....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 458Win
Every time I have received offers to star on some "reality" TV show I tell them that while drama may sell TV shows, it doesn't sell hunts !

Thank you for not being on a reality TV show.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Alaska sounds cheap to me, our caribou camps are $7600 per trip, gas ends up $31 per gallon landed.
If one wants a remote wilderness hunt and no other hunters in the area, be prepared to pay. In the past, I even had some hunters cancel because it was too remote, and then they discovered from the literature that there were ferocious grizzlies around, ......... too much for someone who's idea of "remote" was only seeing 75 other hunters per day!!
If you want "remote", understand there's a cost!!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Just like a divorce, because it's worth it!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Just like a divorce, because it's worth it!

Exactly!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barryt
Alaska sounds cheap to me, our caribou camps are $7600 per trip, gas ends up $31 per gallon landed.
If one wants a remote wilderness hunt and no other hunters in the area, be prepared to pay. In the past, I even had some hunters cancel because it was too remote, and then they discovered from the literature that there were ferocious grizzlies around, ......... too much for someone who's idea of "remote" was only seeing 75 other hunters per day!!
If you want "remote", understand there's a cost!!

Bears AND no one else around! Dang, that sounds scary.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's been 28 years, but a friend and I did two DYI float trips for moose and caribou in the early 90's and were successful both times. We didn't have dreams of B&C critters so we kept our expectations reasonable. Ended up killing nice examples of both species on both trips. My buddy's caribou ended up making B&C.

Also hunted there while in the Navy and stationed at Elmendorf. Was able to kill a moose in two years of trying. Had a Dall hunt in the Chugach's all lined up and prepared to go when our aircraft was deployed to Spain and the Mediterranean when the Iranians took over our embassy.

I've hated the Iranians ever since........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What I see a lot of times are people coming up to do DYI cheap. I also know folks that get that Supercub bug. People who go out hunting on the neighbors CRP land have no clue what those expenses look like.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
It's been 28 years, but a friend and I did two DYI float trips for moose and caribou in the early 90's and were successful both times. We didn't have dreams of B&C critters so we kept our expectations reasonable. Ended up killing nice examples of both species on both trips. My buddy's caribou ended up making B&C.

Also hunted there while in the Navy and stationed at Elmendorf. Was able to kill a moose in two years of trying. Had a Dall hunt in the Chugach's all lined up and prepared to go when our aircraft was deployed to Spain and the Mediterranean when the Iranians took over our embassy.

I've hated the Iranians ever since........

Rookies floating rivers often turn DIY into DYI... that would be Do Yourself In...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 11/16/20.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Even Africa seems less expensive.
it does right up until you look at travel cost and the cost of shipping horns back to the U.S., that's where Africa catches up real quick in costs.

it depends. Looking at Alaska for the big bears and moose, they run up north of twenty thousand. That's for one animal. Africa gets REAL expensive for the Big Five, but on a plains game hunt, you can take five six animals including eland and kudu for half that and that's including air fare. Hell, you can do a seven day buffalo PG for 15K all in .

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had a great experience, though unsuccessful, hunting brown bear with Brad Dennison in 2015. Crap weather but he worked his tail off and we hunted two extra days. We crabbed and shrimped and ate well. Another great experience is a trip to northern BC. My 2020 hunt with Stone Mountain Safaris was deferred to next year but it's a fly in horseback hunt in pristine wilderness. It's fourteen days of hunting for goat, elk and moose with tags for black bear, wolf and mountain caribou thrown in on opportunity. I hunted with them for elk and moose in 2008 and had a great time. These are not inexpensive hunts but given the total experience and the quantity and quality of game they are very fairly priced.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen plenty of funeral processions over the years but I've never seen one with a Wells Fargo Armored Truck following the hearse.

I'm going to AK this spring for a grizzly. Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of great answers to this post. Kudos gents.

It saddens me how much it costs to hunt here.

But it is indeed worth it.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It saddens me how much it costs to hunt here.

But it is indeed worth it.

Never minded the cost, airplanes are expensive; but they took me out of the game when they required moose come out in quarters, and can't be deboned any longer.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Can’t be deboned in some areas but I don’t see why us old guys can’t saw the quarters into smaller pieces 😀

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 44 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.