Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I arrowed a coyote recently while bowhunting for whitetails....

What are some cool coyote taxidermy ideas? I was thinking a bleached skull and a trapper's pelt, but I'm looking for possible other ideas....

Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
how recently, and where?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
PA.

Yesterday. He’s in my freezer currently.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I did as you’re thinking, trappers pelt and skull.

NRA Patron
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It all comes down to money in the end. My neighbor is a taxidermist, and he did one of the best ones I've ever seen, including the Hi Desert museum. It was a full body diorama, of a coyote pausing while digging out a squirrel hole. Retired federal judge bought it for 3 grand. If you ever contemplate something that elaborate, you can save a lot of money by freezing the whole carcass and let the taxidermist do the skinning...

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you ever 'contemplate something that elaborate', be sure you do it with a good, Montana pale silk coyote. Not one of those nasty things from PA...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Out west they hang coyotes from the fence. At DSC a few years ago I saw a mounted coyote hanging from and old post with old rusted barbed wire that was really unique and cool.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
There is a taxidermist, whose name is escaping me right now but I think she is from South Dakota?, and has had a booth at the SCI show for the past several years and specializes in small game and birds she brings to sell at the booth. Anyway she has done a few full body coyotes mounts that had a rabbit or a pheasant in their mouths that I thought looked good and then it’s all sbout their eyes and ears. I think it’s really difficult to get any predator mounted with its mouth open or showing teeth and not have it look cartoonish this kinda fixes that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the idea of the pelt and skull. I always thought just having one sitting on his haunches, closed month and staring across the room would be pretty cool.

Black Cows Matter!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I like the idea of the pelt and skull. I always thought just having one sitting on his haunches, closed month and staring across the room would be pretty cool.

My uncle has a big, black wolf posed that way in his living room. He has it in a corner next to a large plant so it's not obvious but when noticed, it grabs your attention. Kind of eery.......When he first goi it, his lab wouldn't go in the room for a month! It was freaked out.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JRS3
Originally Posted by muleshoe

My uncle has a big, black wolf posed that way in his living room. He has it in a corner next to a large plant so it's not obvious but when noticed, it grabs your attention. Kind of eery.......When he first goi it, his lab wouldn't go in the room for a month! It was freaked out.

I have two labs that likely wouldn't be very tolerant of the "intruder" either!

I found a local taxidermist that's done various coyote mounts and pelts, so I'll take it to him, have a chat, and come up with something.

Thanks to all who offered ideas!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]If your shot on space or want something different I think the pedestal mounts are cool.

Attached Images
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
If you ever 'contemplate something that elaborate', be sure you do it with a good, Montana pale silk coyote. Not one of those nasty things from PA...

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won a raffle for taxi mount at a a local sportsmen's club and redeemed it on a coyote. My wife does not want it in the house so it is in my shop office It is a good conversation piece.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Have not seen any barn cats near the shop lately. LOL

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Captured the "I know you're there yapp".

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Round oak, that is a nice mount. I see more coyote mounts that look like a pound pooch than a real coyote but yours is nice. Well done.

I had a shot at a gorgeous red and black sattled, full winter coat male last year, but as soon as I was about to let a bullet rip, a big 10pt came out. That was a yote I would have done a mount on but I will keep yours in mind for later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'sattles' aren't 'gorgeous', might as well mount a frigging german shepherd.....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ha!

Our yotes in FL and SC can vary in color greatly. No doubt outside influences at some point in their family tree.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 22 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.