Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
So I was at my lease down in Mexico and was wiping my Sako 85L in 300 win mag down before storing the rifle. I was wiping down the bolt and Im guessing I used too much pressure and the bolt turned and came loose and the firing pin, spring, shroud and bolt became disassembled.
I looked around online and could find no videos or photos on how to reassemble it. I assume I need the black plastic tool that came with the rifle but not sure how to use it. Im not very mechanically inclined. 🤣
Can anyone help with a video or point me in the right direction?
Ive read a few websites try and explain it in writing just hard to follow. I cant find any videos on line.
When I get the rifle back here after the season Im sure I could get a smith to help me but was hoping I could do it myself.
I live down in Central Texas.
I love my Sakos by the way.
Thanks for any help.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It’s in the manual on page 21....

But it normally takes a full turn to spin the bolt shroud off so I’m not sure how they came apart... a couple years back a guy on sako collectors.com had a bolt come apart.

https://www.sako.fi/sites/default/files/Sako85RH.pdf Here is a link to the manual...

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/15/20.
V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Thanks for the link.
Was hoping someone had a video showing how its done.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That funky plastic knob that came with your rifle is for turning it on and off.

I don’t know of a video...

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope this helps.

IC B2

V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
So I called Beretta customer service seeking any better clarification or maybe a video or more detailed direction on how to put this thing back together. I explained my situation with the bolt being located at my lease in Mexico.
Welll that when over like a dud. The guy I spoke with said it was against their policy to give out that info as there was too much liability. Customers were not eqquiped to do this work according to him.
I asked why they had the instruction and a diagram in the owners manual and he said that it was done that way so customers would have to take the bolt to a qualified gunsmith to work on it.
I asked if he could direct me to anywhere on the web where I could find the info I was looking for and again he said it was a liability issue for him to direct my anywhere on the net.
I asked why the hell did they provide the black bolt tool with the rifles if customers were not supposed to use it? He said it was provided for the customer to take to a qualified gunsmith in case the smith needed it.
I do have a Sako 75 and he did tell me that the 85 & 75 bolt disassembly/reassembly is the same, so I may try it on the 75 to practice.
If not I guess I will have to bring the rifle back to the USA and have my smith put it back together.
I expected more from Beretta but I guess I see their liability. At the end of the day, Im the idiot that pulled the bolt apart.
Thanks guys for the help.
Im still on the search for a more detailed video with closeups so I don't have to pay a smith to put the bolt back together.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
It is duck soup simple, as the video already posted shows. But, about the video,-- I don't understand why he puts the tape on the sear, and it's a left-handed bolt, so he turns the shroud in the wrong direction for a right-handed bolt. His using a vise to hold the bolt is a good idea, although I have always just held it in my hand(s), sometimes bracing the bolt against a wooden bench top.

Try first with just the shroud, so that there is no spring tension. Notice how the tabs go into the notches on the bolt, and how the flat stippled part of the shroud lines up more or less with the handle root for the tabs to properly go into the notches. Remember that.

When you put the assembled firing pin (pin, spring, and guide) into the bolt, line up the sear with the notch in the bolt. Now line them up with the shroud, and push the shroud onto the bolt, compressing the firing pin spring. When the shroud tabs go into the bolt notches, push the shroud all the way down and turn it about 1/4 turn counterclockwise (for a right-handed bolt). You'll hear and feel it snap into place. This part is why they include the plastic wrench with the rifle,-- it makes it easier to push and turn, but it isn't really necessary. I have done it with my old arthritic hands, with and without leather glove to help.

Just do it....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Infidel
It is duck soup simple, as the video already posted shows. But, about the video,-- I don't understand why he puts the tape on the sear, and it's a left-handed bolt, so he turns the shroud in the wrong direction for a right-handed bolt. His using a vise to hold the bolt is a good idea, although I have always just held it in my hand(s), sometimes bracing the bolt against a wooden bench top.

Try first with just the shroud, so that there is no spring tension. Notice how the tabs go into the notches on the bolt, and how the flat stippled part of the shroud lines up more or less with the handle root for the tabs to properly go into the notches. Remember that.

When you put the assembled firing pin (pin, spring, and guide) into the bolt, line up the sear with the notch in the bolt. Now line them up with the shroud, and push the shroud onto the bolt, compressing the firing pin spring. When the shroud tabs go into the bolt notches, push the shroud all the way down and turn it about 1/4 turn counterclockwise (for a right-handed bolt). You'll hear and feel it snap into place. This part is why they include the plastic wrench with the rifle,-- it makes it easier to push and turn, but it isn't really necessary. I have done it with my old arthritic hands, with and without leather glove to help.

Just do it....

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Thanks infidel.
Good plan. Will try it

B
B
I just found this thread after a search for this exact situation, followed Infidel’s quick tutorial, simple as anything, even for me!
Thanks Infidel.

IC B3

V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I did too. Really easy.
Forgot to update

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,390
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.