Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
AK375DGR just turned me on to a "One Hole" ghost-ring sight from Warren Custom Outdoors for my 45LC Ruger Bisley Blackhawk. It's AMAZING how much better the sight picture is with this ghost-ring. The best part is it was only $28 so, he get's props for the recommendation and this sight gets my vote!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Interesting.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight for my 629 Mountain gun. It looked out of place until I went and shot it, made a huge difference.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always trigger work.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by TWR
A Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight for my 629 Mountain gun. It looked out of place until I went and shot it, made a huge difference.

Might have to try that on my 5" 629 !

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Always trigger work.

One I forgot about was more of a mod but when I purchased that Bisley Blackhawk, the trigger pull was really heavy and I was considering trigger work until either 2nd Wind or 2MuchGun (can't recall) told me about the "two-minute trigger job". All I had to do was take the grips off the revolver and then take one of the hammer spring arms and move it from on top of the pin to underneath the pin which basically cut the weight in half. It worked great, is still 100% reliable, and cost exactly $0 so I guess this free mod would be tough to beat!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Custom-sized SBH grips for large hands, especially Chigs Grips.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
The "One Ragged Hole" sight is the single best iron sight for old eyes on the market, period, simply amazing how clearly the sights appear again, hell, you'll think your 30 again!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trijicon RMR.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grips...

It's always fun to "pimp your ride" and grips are a great way to do it. Screw all that practical [bleep], gimme some coolness.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nebraska,
thanks for posting your pics of the ghost ring rear sight! I just ordered one- seems like a possible godsend for older eyes that are having difficulty focusing both front and rear sights.

Here's another one- I recently bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley, .480 Ruger. This handgun is a real piece of work, and I like it very much. However, it came from the factory with a trigger pull harder than I like, and creepy to boot. I bought a Wolff trigger spring, which reduced the pull to a very nice 2.75#, but of course the creep was still there. I then stumbled upon an article by Jeff Quinn, entitled 'Poor Boy's Trigger Job', where he describes a procedure of applying upward pressure to the hammer while pulling the trigger. He calls it 'marrying the trigger', which supposedly helps to remove burrs, etc. and smooth out the trigger. You don't want to overdo this process, just a few reps and try to see if things are improving.
Well, I gave it a try, going thru 10 or so reps with the upward hammer pressure, and guess what- the creep in this trigger is now almost completely gone! I just saved myself $100 for a gunsmith trigger job.
Check out this site:
https://gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Nebraska,
thanks for posting your pics of the ghost ring rear sight! I just ordered one- seems like a possible godsend for older eyes that are having difficulty focusing both front and rear sights.

Here's another one- I recently bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley, .480 Ruger. This handgun is a real piece of work, and I like it very much. However, it came from the factory with a trigger pull harder than I like, and creepy to boot. I bought a Wolff trigger spring, which reduced the pull to a very nice 2.75#, but of course the creep was still there. I then stumbled upon an article by Jeff Quinn, entitled 'Poor Boy's Trigger Job', where he describes a procedure of applying upward pressure to the hammer while pulling the trigger. He calls it 'marrying the trigger', which supposedly helps to remove burrs, etc. and smooth out the trigger. You don't want to overdo this process, just a few reps and try to see if things are improving.
Well, I gave it a try, going thru 10 or so reps with the upward hammer pressure, and guess what- the creep in this trigger is now almost completely gone! I just saved myself $100 for a gunsmith trigger job.
Check out this site:
https://gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm

That kind of info is why I love 24HCF!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nebraska
AK375DGR just turned me on to a "One Hole" ghost-ring sight from Warren Custom Outdoors for my 45LC Ruger Bisley Blackhawk. It's AMAZING how much better the sight picture is with this ghost-ring. The best part is it was only $28 so, he get's props for the recommendation and this sight gets my vote!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Combat light. You will need to upgrade Gramps gun to Smith & Wesson R8 revolver. This is GIGN or Gangsta style, very KOOL!
cool

Large rear peep is for combat shotgun or close range dangerous game rifle.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
VZ grips for my Browning HP and Wolff reduced power rebound springs for my S&W revolvers.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Seems like a good idea, (I like my SBL's Ghost sight), but I recommend just keeping the front sight in sharp focus and just get "used" to a front sight that is found on any gun and keep the rear sight "fuzzy".

Obviously, one's own eyesight will determine if that is valid for each shooter.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Reflex sight on my revolver. I don't particularly care for the looks but I shoot a lot better with it at all ranges and fantastically better from 25 yards out to 200 yards. Mine is mounted without a rail and no weapon light. I've used Harries method but recently installed rings on my flashlight to start using the Graham method. I prefer this because I draw my light something like 10,000 times (and counting) more often than my revolver (even counting practice).

My current reflex sight is an SRO, but it's obviously designed for slide-ride and is somewhat ill-suited to revolvers. Sight makers are ignoring revolvers, which I think is a shame. Trijicon, C-More, Leupold, Aimpoint, everything they make is a kludge for revolvers. If they don't step it up, it'll be some asian import job that beats them. S&W has an opportunity if they can still work with Crimson Trace that was spun off with the rest of AOBC.

Grips. For two-hands, I like full-size Hogue no-finger-groove and that's what I use because one-hand is a contingency-only deal.

Moon-clips. This is just so obvious, especially if you recover your brass to reload. For me, it beats a speedloader for reloading but I can't really give "combat reloads" any meaningful weight. Where the moon-clips really pay off is in practice and brass recovery. A few moonclips are nearly worthless. I have 40 for one revolver. A BMT mooner-demooner is well worthwhile too.

Trigger-work - I'm not a fan. I have Performance Center guns, factory guns worked on by the PC after sale, and factory guns. If it's a K,L or N frame, the trigger is good enough. The only thing trigger work seems to accomplish is light-strikes.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Trigger
Trigger
and Trigger. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Always trigger work.

One I forgot about was more of a mod but when I purchased that Bisley Blackhawk, the trigger pull was really heavy and I was considering trigger work until either 2nd Wind or 2MuchGun (can't recall) told me about the "two-minute trigger job". All I had to do was take the grips off the revolver and then take one of the hammer spring arms and move it from on top of the pin to underneath the pin which basically cut the weight in half. It worked great, is still 100% reliable, and cost exactly $0 so I guess this free mod would be tough to beat!!

I used to do this to my Ruger single actions too, but I've stopped because of inconsistent trigger pull due to, I think, the spring leg dragging against the main spring. Instead, I have been leaving both legs of the trigger return spring in place and just putting a small, equal bend in each leg to decrease trigger pull. I like it better, seems more consistent and smoother.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the ORH sight on a small game pistol, and I like it. The only thing wrong with it though is that it's just a blade that goes in the Ruger rear sight, which is......less than robust.

I'm with others here. For the money....trigger work; grips. For a little more money....Bowen Rough Country sight.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,105
Posts18,464,217
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.