-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What kind of MPG can be expected from a 4x4 Ram 6.4L with the 8 speed? Just curious, as I was next to one on the road this morning and it was a good looking rig.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Toyota manufactures and sells diesel passenger vehicles in almost every auto market in the world where they do business, except the U.S. No clue why they choose not to sell diesel passenger vehicles, here. However, they do manufacture 3, 4, 5, and 6 cylinder diesels for marine and medium/heavy duty truck use around the world. Hino is the Toyota truck brand currently marketed and sold in the U.S.

It would be a seemingly simple design exercise for Toyota engineers to adapt one of their existing diesel motors to the Tundra platform and totally kick butt in the U.S. light truck market. Unfortunately, not their "cup-o-tea"...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both are good, gm seems to have more issues with the 2011-2016 cp4 injection pumps. Same as the cp4 on Ford 6.7.

I have a 2018 ram 6.7, it a towing beast .

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I was always a Dodge fan, but I don't know about these 5000,000 mile rams. My 98 engine tanked at 150,000. Head gasket blowed. Required full valve job, head shaved, complete engine flush radiator,hoses heater core. ($7Krepair job) Before that I put 3 injector pumps in,two lift pumps, then a FASS system. Clutch ,pressure plate, two turbos reworked. I probably put $12K in repairs in that truck. After the engine job,I sold it and then it lost 5thgear I heard.

When I was looking for another truck, I found Dodge shortened their short box to 6'-3' instead of 6-'6'.I did not want an 8ft bed.Looking around, the Duramax had better ride and more capacity. Dealers were a heck of a lot better too.

I bought the Duramax but with an extended warranty. Before the Dodge, I had a Ford that was piece o fcrap.I would not touch another one. We will see how this Duramax works out.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Toyota manufactures and sells diesel passenger vehicles in almost every auto market in the world where they do business, except the U.S. No clue why they choose not to sell diesel passenger vehicles, here. However, they do manufacture 3, 4, 5, and 6 cylinder diesels for marine and medium/heavy duty truck use around the world. Hino is the Toyota truck brand currently marketed and sold in the U.S.

It would be a seemingly simple design exercise for Toyota engineers to adapt one of their existing diesel motors to the Tundra platform and totally kick butt in the U.S. light truck market. Unfortunately, not their "cup-o-tea"...
Probably because of the EPA and their emissions requirements. Toyota doesn't want to spend the huge money required to make them legal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I vote Cummins, but don’t know schit. I’ve never really messed with diesels.

The new Dodges seem nice but I’ve been in/around too many that were POS to get the taste out of my mouth.

It’d be fun to put an old 12v together and mount it in a k20 square body with a 5 speed! Single cab, long bed.

Time and money.....

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have owned a Ford and Ram diesel, and currently own a GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax, 2016. No complaints whatsoever- great engine, but also the rest of the truck is very well-built, quiet, and comfortable. If I were in the market for another one, it would almost certainly be another GM Duramax.

Last edited by Bighorn; 11/09/20.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you adjust the valves periodically on the Cummins, they have been known to get a million miles on them highway. pulling horses and heavy loads.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jimmyp: I wish you the best of luck in your choice. I am NOT much of a motor-head myself but I was a dedicated Ford truck-man throughout the late 60', 70's and 80's. Owning several V-8 Ford F-250 4x4's over that time.
Then in 1996 I bought a Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4 with extended cab and manual transmission. Reliability wise (and M.P.G. wise!) it has been the BEST truck I have ever owned. Not one thing has gone wrong with the engine and the driveline in the intervening 24+ years and 140,000 Hunter and fisherman type miles!
Plus my rig gets 21 to 22 M.P.G. on the road.
I have several friends that have MONSTER numbers of miles on their Dodge Cummins diesels (one has 370,000 HARD miles on his!).
I can not compare the two rigs you are interested in but I have sure been happy with my Dodge Cummins diesel rig (the VarmintMobile).
Again good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The newer ones with the 6.7 won't get 20+ mpg because of the emission crap. Also, the manual tranny is gone. There are no American trucks from the 1 ton on down with manuals. The last one was the Dodge 3500 a couple years ago.

I don't know about the last 3 or 4 years, but Dodge has had a problem with the steering parts wearing and causing what they call a death wobble, what we used to call a shimmy. The OEM steering parts and front hubs might need replacing after about 100k. If you can turn wrench at all, it's all fairly simple to DIY, then have an alignment. If it's the ball joints, that's another issue.

― George Orwell

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Take a long road trip on the interstate and observe the % of Rams vs Ford/Chevy that are “working trucks” for “Hot Shot” drivers, those towing new RVs to their destination, ect. The vast majority are Ram Cummins. The folks that use their trucks to make a living are using the Cummins! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought a 2019 leftover Ram, 2500, with the turbo diesel.

Right at 6800 miles, probably not broken in yet, but I'm getting 19 back and forth to work and almost 22 on the highway

No comparison between the newer rams and the Chevy interior.

Know several with Rams, All love them

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by memtb

Take a long road trip on the interstate and observe the % of Rams vs Ford/Chevy that are “working trucks” for “Hot Shot” drivers, those towing new RVs to their destination, ect. The vast majority are Ram Cummins. The folks that use their trucks to make a living are using the Cummins! memtb

That is highway driving.

In the South Texas ranch country, where the ranch roads are rough, hot, and dusty, there are no Dodges, all Ford or Chevy, unless it is a work crew from out of state.

Dodges have front end, transmission, and electrical problems. Put them off pavement and the Dodges rattle themselves apart.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My kid is a mechanic. He told me that Ford really got their stuff together on their new diesel. He thinks it is superior to the other two. The bodies are for sure stronger.

I had a conversation with my Toyota dealer about the diesel thing. Toyota did the study and determined that the market was already saturated and for the expense to re-do the Tundra factory, it was not worth it to them. They relinquished that market to the so-called "domestics".

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by bowfisher
Since the UAW has continued their line of stupidity and endorsed and voted for Biden The Fraudulent. I will only be purchasing foreign made vehicles. Hopefully Ram sends their production back overseas....that no good Trump talked them into bringing it back to MI, and they showed him!! They voted for the Outsource King....so if that's what they want, that's what they will get.

I may concede to a vehicle made in a Red state, but I'm done with Detroit for good. The sooner all the jobs leave MI the better, IMO. Let the muslims have it, the former UAW workers can raise and butcher goats for them.

Anyone that considers a GM vehicle after what Obama did, during his first term, needs their head examined...

My father was a long time engineer at GM, and used to drive only GM vehicles until Zero screwed the GM investors and basically gave ownership to the Union workers. After that travesty he never bought another GM vehicle, only Chrysler’s or Fords.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe 10 years ago, Toyota decided to market to suburbia. No 3/4's, no diesels. Just good quality heavy duty 1/2's. It's surprising, though, that they didn't go after the huge RV'er market that requires a 3/4 or larger.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Keep in mind that if the Dems get in, gas is going to $5 a gallon, with diesel $2 more than that.

- Rogue
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I was always a Dodge fan, but I don't know about these 5000,000 mile rams. My 98 engine tanked at 150,000. Head gasket blowed. Required full valve job, head shaved, complete engine flush radiator,hoses heater core. ($7Krepair job) Before that I put 3 injector pumps in,two lift pumps, then a FASS system. Clutch ,pressure plate, two turbos reworked. I probably put $12K in repairs in that truck. After the engine job,I sold it and then it lost 5thgear I heard.

When I was looking for another truck, I found Dodge shortened their short box to 6'-3' instead of 6-'6'.I did not want an 8ft bed.Looking around, the Duramax had better ride and more capacity. Dealers were a heck of a lot better too.

I bought the Duramax but with an extended warranty. Before the Dodge, I had a Ford that was piece o fcrap.I would not touch another one. We will see how this Duramax works out.

I'm in a similar situation right now. I have an '06 Dodge/Cummins at 173k miles - it's been a good truck but I feel like I've had to do more repairs than what I hear most others report. Until last year, repairs were pretty minor and usually a once a year event to the tune of +/- $1k. Last fall, I had to replace injectors along with several other things and was in the $4-5k range for repairs. This fall, it's been in and out of the shop with one thing after another and I haven't been able to get out hunting due to not having reliable transportation. I'm looking at another $4-5k in repairs this fall by the time I'm done. The engine is awesome, but I feel like the rest of the truck is starting to fall apart.

I'm currently in the process of buying a '16 Duramax short box crew cab. My Dodge is a long box quad cab and I prefer the long box over a short box, but I don't want the length of a long box crew cab. I'm willing to trade some bed length for the crew cab and do prefer GM's short box to the other makes. I have been researching the whole CP4 fuel pump debacle and will likely do a fuel pump upgrade for piece of mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's certainly a good time to sell. The used truck market is stupid right now.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I had a '96 Dodge Cummins with the 12V 5.9L. Engine was great,
but everything else fell apart around it. I'm too gun shy to buy another Dodge.

- Rogue
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

294 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 33 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,607
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.