Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My son sighted in his new RAVIN and was amazed.

Once sighted in he was practicing at 30 yards and first shot was in the bull, second shot split the bolt in six pieces.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Has he shot broadheads with it yet and do they shoot to the same or close to the same POI? I am looking at a Ravin for next year as my Barnett does not shoot mechanical broadheads anywhere close to the same POI as it does field points.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by abbydog

Once sighted in he was practicing at 30 yards and first shot was in the bull, second shot split the bolt in six pieces.

I got a two Rav R29 that I got from Gander Outdoors for a buy one get one free store close out in williamsport PA, plus they gave me a additional 15% off for being a member, both R29 cost me $1979.00 out the door. The one that I been shooting is highly accurate, so much that you don't shoot at the same bull without removing the first bolt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking to get a Ravin myself. Which model do you prefer and why?

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If a narrator
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Has he shot broadheads with it yet and do they shoot to the same or close to the same POI? I am looking at a Ravin for next year as my Barnett does not shoot mechanical broadheads anywhere close to the same POI as it does field points.

That's because most likely your cams are out of synch. Ravin has great marketing. The design is too complicated, strings and cables have to be serviced by a dealer unless you buy an expensive bow press. You will have to replace strings and cables more frequently.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by abbydog

No big feat, comparable bows will do the same if not better.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
If a narrator

That's because most likely your cams are out of synch. Ravin has great marketing. The design is too complicated, strings and cables have to be serviced by a dealer unless you buy an expensive bow press. You will have to replace strings and cables more frequently.

Hey mr smart one... a Barnett isnt a Ravin.

Last edited by Ejp1234; 11/10/20.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
If a narrator

Hey mr smart one... a Barnett isnt a Ravin.

Reading comprehension is not a strong suit is it?

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I wil ask him today about the broad heads and report back. They certainly are complicated as others have said. I’m sure the Ten Point and others are equally accurate. My old Parker CHallenger has killed deer and good enough for me!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nothing wrong with a Ravin. Very accurate. I know a few who have them and love them.

I have been using this old Barnett Whitetail Hunter. Killed a few deer and plenty accurate for my needs. This doe was harvested at 50 yards.
That is about as far I like to shoot anyway. Using fixed blades.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I shot my R29 across chronograph at 10 yard increments out to 100 yards I was averaging 411 fps and could consistently hit the 2" dot at every distance and most of the time the groups were a lot smaller. I would not leave an arrow in the bag under 60 yards as they were getting smashed.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can say pretty much the same things about my Excalibur. Put it together, mounted the scope, and was on the paper at 20 yards. Click click, and it was all set. A little twiddling of the speed dial (aka power ring) and it was on the money at 30, 40, and 50. This year I tried a shot at 60 and made a killing hit on the target, just before the scope died. Went to a red dot, then a refurbished Nikon fixed power. Have that one figured out to 40 so far, a good practical range under the conditions I hunt. Will fiddle with it a bit more to get to maybe 50, but the fixed power is a bit limited compared to a variable. Muzzys hit the same as field points. BTW, for ease of arrow removal from the target, spray the shaft with food-grade silicon. I also switched to field points with a slight bulge in the middle, which are a lot easier to pull out.

Went with the recurve for simplicity and easy maintenance. Can change a string in a few minutes, decock in seconds. Keep checking the screws and bolts, but nothing has come loose so far. This is the third season, and I have bagged five deer; three does and two scraggly bucks. Two were killed from a treestand, one from a ground seat, and two, including the one I whacked Monday, were shot on my way in or out of the woods, targets of opportunity.

No doubt the compounds are amazing performers, but can’t see how I could do any better than I have with the old-school job. It’s all good.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My son hasn’t tried sighting in with broad heads yet. I assume later today or tomorrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad took a nice 6x6 elk with his new Ravin this fall. Loves it compared to the other crossbow he had. Last one, the limbs blew up on him.

Rob
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by harv3589
My dad took a nice 6x6 elk with his new Ravin this fall. Loves it compared to the other crossbow he had. Last one, the limbs blew up on him.

Don't know what brand his other bow was but RAVINS have limb and string issues . A lot of high performance. bows have that. My brothers Tenpoint bow destroyed cables and cams after 30 shots. .

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 11/11/20.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by harv3589

Don't know what brand his other bow was but RAVINS have limb and string issues . A lot of high performance. bows have that. My brothers Tenpoint bow destroyed cables and cams after 30 shots. .

What crossbow do you recommend?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Excalibur,Mission Sub 1 or a Scorpyd Death Stalker 420. All accurate, reliable and easy to service.

On your Barnett bow you might want to check the cam timing on it if it is not shooting mechanicals well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know several guys with Ravin crossbows, none who've had any issues. And, one thing they have in common - they shoot lights friggin out. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Nothing wrong with a Ravin. Very accurate. I know a few who have them and love them.

I have been using this old Barnett Whitetail Hunter. Killed a few deer and plenty accurate for my needs. This doe was harvested at 50 yards.
That is about as far I like to shoot anyway. Using fixed blades.

Nice heart shot!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am also looking at the 2020 CenterPoint CP400 crossbow since it's half the cost of the Ravin but provides a lot of performance for the money. I want a crossbow that is fast, on the lighter side and when cocked has a slim profile since I hunt in an area this pretty tight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.