Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by MM879
I would look for a 2018 or newer RAM 6.4L Hemi. That is the the first year for the 8 speed auto trans. I have a 2017 6.4L, 6 speed with 4:10 axles and it get 1 mpg less than the Diesels. Diesel is great if you need it. I don't purchase for the 1% use.

Does anyone know what the RPM difference is between the gasoline and diesel engines when towing an equal load?

Yes , diesel 1800rpm.... gas 4500 rpm

Damn. 4500 RPMs for an extended period of time would get old.

Simple look at the torque curve , the Cummins peaks at 1800 rpm and most gas engines peak around 4500 rpm. I have hd trucks with both and this is true.
I will say me Chevy 6.0 at 4500 sounds pretty sweet

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would look for a 2018 or newer RAM 6.4L Hemi. That is the the first year for the 8 speed auto trans. I have a 2017 6.4L, 6 speed with 4:10 axles and it get 1 mpg less than the Diesels. Diesel is great if you need it. I don't purchase for the 1% use.

Does anyone know what the RPM difference is between the gasoline and diesel engines when towing an equal load?

I had a 16 5.7 ram gas, pulling 10k the gas engine ran at 3k-5k and got 5-6 mpg. Same trailer the 6.7 diesel gets 10-11 mpg and 1800 rpm. The gas truck had 4.10 gears, The diesel is around 3.21?

I originally bought the gas to haul my 4K slide in camper, and SxS, but changed to toy hauler. 10k in the mountains really works the gas engine.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have to drive a gas engine when towing especially in the mountains, down shift before the grade etc.... the diesel just loafs along.
Don't dismiss the diesels engine brake, that is damn near worth the price of admission itself. Think of ot as cruise control down hill, brakes last forever

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another thing ,all these guys braggin the older Cummins haven't spent time behind the new ones. No comparison.
I drove a 2000 Dodge Cummins on an average of 200 miles a day 5 days a week towing 15,000lbs and while it did it fine I had to drive it, i.e. downshift before the grade etc;;;; an older Cummins at redline sounds like it is coming unglued any minute. By contrast my Chevy 6.0 purrs at 4500 rpm.
The new Cummins idles over the steepest mountains, too easy and must say relaxing

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel
I wouldn't buy another diesel. The government is doing everything they can with emissions equipment/ DEF fluid to kill them off...If you do buy one, you better use the crap out of it...Put a ton of miles on it weekly at highway speeds to burn out all the garbage/ soot the emissions systems are blowing back into the engine

Or, relocate to a state that doesn’t “police” your vehicles! memtb
I wouldn't buy another diesel. The government is doing everything they can with emissions equipment/ DEF fluid to kill them off...If you do buy one, you better use the crap out of it...Put a ton of miles on it weekly at highway speeds to burn out all the garbage/ soot the emissions systems are blowing back into the engine

You think there will be a state like that in the US much longer? The Government already shut down the best diesel tune company's in the US like Green Diesel Engineering and made them make their tunes emissions compliant. You pretty much have to go through Canada now to get a decent illegal tune that shuts off the emissions crap and could void your warranty if dealers choose to pursue it....Although I love my diesel, it's just not worth it to me because the regulation is only going to get worse...

You are basically rolling the dice buying one and putting a tune in it or turning off the EGR. You are gambling you can pass emissions and that a dealer wont void your warranty when something major happens mechanically. In some places in Canada they already have checkpoints on the Highways where they routinely check emissions on diesels and will tow your truck if it fails?....How long before the nanny Democrat run states here start doing that?

The way the EPA is cracking down on vendors of delete and tuner kits, some dealers now won't even touch a deleted truck. It's not worth it anymore to them.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tow/haul really is nice for going down hills.

I love the deleted 6.7 F350 combo. Drug a 20' horse trailer around for about 2k miles in the last couple weeks and never wished it was a gas.

Buying used I'd look for a townie trade in and delete asap.

Should add we're in rural MT, no checkpoints in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/09/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I don't think I have spent over 12 minutes at 4500 rpms in my 6.8 Ford V10. You don't live at 4500 rpm and my truck never sees 3000 if I'm not towing. Currently have 210k on the clock.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smarquez

I don't think I have spent over 12 minutes at 4500 rpms in my 6.8 Ford V10. You don't live at 4500 rpm and my truck never sees 3000 if I'm not towing. Currently have 210k on the clock.

The 4500rpm is pulling over a mountain pass.You can top most passes in 15 to 20 minutes. I have run my Chevy at 3000 rpm all day towing into a strong headwind.
The Chevy 6.0 will last a long time at hi rpm, appears the Dodge hemi will also. Not familiar with the Ford V10

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
2003 Ram 3500 with cabover camper here. Purchased used 2005, with 35K on it. Manual. Just turned 105K. During the 8 years we were in the Bush, it didn't get driven much, so that may have contributed to having to replace the injectors and sleeves at about 90K.

Other repairs over the years: ball joints up front, water pump, clutch, couple u-joints replacements , front hubs replacement, tie rod ends, power steering pump. Not sure about brakes- probably. No tranny problems yet.

Don't know if one can count the fuel pump. Wife put gas in it, so we had to have the tank and lines purged. Mechanic claimed the factory pumps had problems and recommended an aftermarket replkacement as long as they were in there, which we did. IIRC, the factory was in-tank, the aftermarket is exterior.

I probably won't buy another Ram, or a diesel, tho I sure like the way it drives and the power of the Cummins..... Ford gets our vote.
t
Unless it's a deal I can't refuse, like the Ram was. Not sure it was that good a deal, tho it seemed like a good idea at the time. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You think there will be a state like that in the US much longer? The Government already shut down the best diesel tune company's in the US like Green Diesel Engineering and made them make their tunes emissions compliant. You pretty much have to go through Canada now to get a decent illegal tune that shuts off the emissions crap and could void your warranty if dealers choose to pursue it....Although I love my diesel, it's just not worth it to me because the regulation is only going to get worse...

You are basically rolling the dice buying one and putting a tune in it or turning off the EGR. You are gambling you can pass emissions and that a dealer wont void your warranty when something major happens mechanically.[[[[[[[[[[[ In some places in Canada they already have checkpoints on the Highways where they routinely check emissions on diesels and will tow your truck if it fails?.]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]...How long before the nanny Democrat run states here start doing that?

WHERE

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was always a gm guy and swore I'd never own a ram. But I don't like the new body style gm half tons. So, i did the unthinkable and bought a new body style ram half ton last year. Its the 5.7 hemi with the 8 speed. I always hated Mopar transmissions but I really like this 8 speed. I miss the extra front leg room my 2016 Chevy had but other than that I really like the ram.

My dad always runs a duramax but never keeps them long enough to see how they do long term. He gets a new one about every other year. I've thought about getting a camp trailer and the one I want is 28 ft. I could pull it with a half ton but I may end up finally going 3/4 ton if I get the camper.

I've been wondering lately which diesel is best but wit the new big block gas engine Ford has and Chevy's new 6.6 gaser i may just go with a gas 3/4 ton. The only thing I'd be towing is the camper every other weekend or so in the summer. I'm going to actually look at a Ford super duty with the big gas motor. I like the fact it has a 10 speed. The Chevy 6.6 has only has a 6 speed.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That new Ford 7.3 gasser looks really good

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The GM 6.0 for sure likes to rev. It’s a screamer pulling hills headed west through Wyoming and Montana.

I also have a Ford v10 I tow with and it makes power considerably lower than the GM. Ford is trying the same with the new gasser 7.3.

Regardless, for heavy hauling, neither is a diesel. The cost of admission keeps me from being a player. Those things have gotten SPENDY!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
2005 3500 Ram Cummings diesel. 400,000 miles. Replaced injectors at about 300,000. Rebuilt transmission last year to
better specs than original.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I drive a duramax, 2006 ! 150,000 miles. Changed all fluids at 100k. I only pull a camp trailer and boat. Max weight of 7800 or so. No complaints so far! I had two and sold the higher mileage one earlier this year. I dont chip and such! The last Dodge i owned ran good, but had the worst body of any pickup I owned in over fifty years of driving pickups! I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy another!

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
and that is the problem, if your pulling up a good grade, my GMC 1500 5.3 V8 is down to second gear and 4000 rpm at what seems to be 35 MPH with a 7600 pound trailer. It makes you gun shy of gas trucks when the local Pepsi distributor truck passes you like your sitting still while haulin a full load of Pespi's while your sitting on 4000 RPM's going up good hill in the Smokey Mtns. In camping at variousRV parks you find there are an awful lot of Ram, Ford, and GM diesels 2500's pulling 13-15,000 pound 5th wheels.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
and that is the problem, if your pulling up a good grade, my GMC 1500 5.3 V8 is down to second gear and 4000 rpm at what seems to be 35 MPH with a 7600 pound trailer. It makes you gun shy of gas trucks when the local Pepsi distributor truck passes you like your sitting still while haulin a full load of Pespi's while your sitting on 4000 RPM's going up good hill in the Smokey Mtns. In camping at variousRV parks you find there are an awful lot of Ram, Ford, and GM diesels 2500's pulling 13-15,000 pound 5th wheels.

Don't judge all gas trucks like your GMC. My 6.4L Hemi RAM isn't like that at all. I'm pulling a 10,000lb RV and the engine purrs at 2500rpm all day.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I love the deleted 6.7 F350 combo. Drug a 20' horse trailer around for about 2k miles in the last couple weeks and never wished it was a gas.

Originally Posted by SamOlson

We have a recently deleted F550 here at work, OMG does that make a difference.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

BS, you won't get within 5 mpg of my deleted 2013 Ram 3500 4x4 with 300k on the odometer. My advice is, don't buy a newer diesel truck unless your prepared to trade before the warranty is up, or you completely delete the emission BS. IMO, the best diesel trucks ever made are the Ford 2005 - 2007 once you delete and bullet proof them.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

BS, you won't get within 5 mpg of my deleted 2013 Ram 3500 4x4 with 300k on the odometer. My advice is, don't buy a newer diesel truck unless your prepared to trade before the warranty is up, or you completely delete the emission BS. IMO, the best diesel trucks ever made are the Ford 2005 - 2007 once you delete and bullet proof them.

I never compared my vehicle to an illegal deleted diesel. Learn to read for comprehension.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.