Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tomorrow is a holiday for me but is supposed to be rainy.

Anybody here ever have success under such conditions?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I love to still hunt mountain sides in the rain. It's what I'll be doing tomorrow! ...even though it is supposed to be thunderstorms...

I remember shooting my first big buck when I was a kid, perched in a cedar tree, while it was pouring rain.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunting in the rain is great. The first mz buck that I ever killed, was in NM in the rain. The deer were out and about and it was quiet sneaking. I am old now and don't give a damn enough to do it anymore!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
For many years I hunted in the rain, it was a miserable experience if you hunt out of an open tree stand like I do, all your gear gets soaked ( huntin out of a nice dry blind would be different of course) but I didnt ever notice any better deer movement if anything the deer movement was less......Good luck....Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
adjust. i take two rifles if going on a hunt where it might rain. one scope and one with peeps. be aware that deer as well as you will move quieter. that is if you move.
if hunting from a stand, they won't change habits too much, if anything will feed longer before bedding down.

besides, being in the woods in the rain, if it isn't a downpour, isn't a bad experience in itself. if it rains, you will also have less competition if you are on public land.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen some very good bucks in a gentle mist, but deer don’t have eye brows and a heavy rain gets in their eyes and that inhibits their vision and their movement. After the rain though, everything on four feet will be on the move. I was in Minnesota one Friday in a driving rain but it was coming to an end. I was bow hunting in eastern Wisconsin that weekend and was in my stand when the rain let up here. Within half an hour deer were everywhere.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't hunt in the rain. Hunting is suppose to be fun.Getting soaked isn't

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had great success hunting in the rain. That said, it it's raining hard I stay inside. Deer's sense of smell and hearing is degraded in hard rain enough they typically don't move much. In a soft rain they come out and seem to feel safe.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I normally don't hunt in rain, but I have. I've hunted in just about every condition known to the Greater Ohio Valley. Normally, if it looks like a heavy rain is coming, I'll try and hunt before it hits, and then I'm back out just before it starts to clear.

I've got a luxury box that lets me sit out of the elements and survey 2 1-acre pastures. Sometimes, if the rain has been really bad, a slight break will bring the deer out. I've nailed them within a half-hour of a toad strangler with horizontal rain.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting in the rain is great. The noise of still hinting is minimized. The deer will be holed up. You can get close in the rain.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I don't hunt in the rain. Hunting is suppose to be fun.Getting soaked isn't

That's the camp I'm in too. smile

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I don’t like to hunt or deep sea fish in the rain.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I grew up in Louisiana, most successes are in the rain! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never had success in a moderate to hard rain, but have had success right after a rain let up. I've also had good hunts in light, drizzling rain, so long as the wind isn't howling. I've had even better luck with pigs on the rainy days, as they seem to let their guard down much more than the deer. I can think of several rainy hunts where I sat in one spot and shot 4-5 hogs over the course of a couple of hours.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by JPro
I've never had success in a moderate to hard rain, but have had success right after a rain let up. I've also had good hunts in light, drizzling rain, so long as the wind isn't howling.

This mirrors my experience. I killed my largest whitetail in a light drizzle during the peak of the rut.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm whitetailing for longer than I care to admit. Took some of my bigger animals in normal rain conditions.

Good luck.

-Ken

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Tomorrow is a holiday for me but is supposed to be rainy.

Anybody here ever have success under such conditions?

That's my preferred hunting condition. Most of the biggest bucks I've killed were in the rain. Get out there and get it done.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rain = scoped encore pistol in .243 and an F-150. Coca Cola, maybe an old rerun of star trek on netflix. Killed several that way. Nice n dry

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dont know how heavy the rain will be tomorrow but thx a bunch for the replies.......I will be in the woods.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed some of my best bucks in the rain.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.