Campfire Kahuna
W
45 years ago?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

For those interested, Frederick Stonehouse's The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald is a very good read.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm going to say that there were not many songs ever written, that more people know the words to every verse .

It is one of the greatest songs ever about one of the saddest tales of our great lakes.

I will drink a glass tonight in remembrance of the 29 men that still rest on the dark cold bottem of the great lake .

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That's a killer song! Thanks for posting that.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I grew up between Ontario & Erie... mostly spent time on Ontario.

They can be as calm and look like glass... or all hell can break loose.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lake Superior contains as much water as all the other Great Lakes combined, plus three extra Lake Eries. There is enough water in Lake Superior to cover all of North and South America with water one foot deep.Apr 15, 2020

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Are the winds of November coming early?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am from Down South. Our biggest lake is Lake Lanier. It is man made and it is about 20 miles long.

But I have spent a lot of time driving along Lake Superior, from Duluth and north on the coast road on my way to Ely. Good God that lake is fantastic. You can't see the other side.

Love to stop at those smoked lake trout stores there on the shores, that lake trout is fantastic.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Everyone deserves at least one ride across the Saginaw bridge. It's not as pretty as the Tampa Bay bridge, but Saginaw has the butt pucker factor the whole way across !

Last edited by jimy; 11/10/20.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good song but to bad he changed the name to rhyme in the song. I guess it came from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow getting it wrong in Hiawatha. Now everyone says it and spells it wrong.
In the Ojibwe language it's Kitchi- Gami meaning Great Sea

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Several days ago we had a commercial fishing tug break loose in the Harbour at Macdiarmid on Lake Nipigon. Boat was tied up too close and in a 50mph wind from the north she broke her lines in the swell. A bunch of us got some lines on her -got her secured and got tire bumpers and extra lines on all the boats. Swell was jumping 5 and 6 feet in the harbour behind 2 break walls.
After the excitement was over we were drinking coffee in my shop when one of the young guys asked me if I had seen it any rougher out.
Yep I have—I was tied up in Caribou Cove on the North side of St Ignace Island in Nipigon Bay the night the ‘Big Fitz’ went down.—Some prairie kid wrote a song about it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Something else seldom mentioned was the the captians and other crews that were safley in the harbor that went back out into the storm searching for the ship and her crew.

Sadly no sign of them was ever found.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Every year I mention the Fitz . It'll be a 7:20 tonight when she sank .CST . I'm just an old farm boy from Western Missouri and I remember in 3rd grade seeing the news the next day I guess . I want to go up to Duluth , Mn someday and see the iron ships .Especially the Arthur Anderson and the James R Barker . You boys up that way wanna tell me the best time of year to see them ?

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've seen Superior in 1956. and Lake Michigan on the way to a Cubs game in 2018.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Several days ago we had a commercial fishing tug break loose in the Harbour at Macdiarmid on Lake Nipigon. Boat was tied up too close and in a 50mph wind from the north she broke her lines in the swell. A bunch of us got some lines on her -got her secured and got tire bumpers and extra lines on all the boats. Swell was jumping 5 and 6 feet in the harbour behind 2 break walls.
After the excitement was over we were drinking coffee in my shop when one of the young guys asked me if I had seen it any rougher out.
Yep I have—I was tied up in Caribou Cove on the North side of St Ignace Island in Nipigon Bay the night the ‘Big Fitz’ went down.—Some prairie kid wrote a song about it.

Fascinating. Thanks, kkahmann.

ps - Thanks for the earworm, wabi. That song will play in my head for days.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Folks, when Karl posts kkaffman, he knows his stuff, good man!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Severe winter storm warnings today for Bayfield, WI on the West end of Lake Superior by the Apostle Islands. Looks like the Gales are blowing there today! I've lived on/by Lake Michigan all my life and have seen some storms on it and they say Lake Superior storms get worse because the winds out of the West can tear it up! I raise my glass to the memory of the crew!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MJones
Every year I mention the Fitz . It'll be a 7:20 tonight when she sank .CST . I'm just an old farm boy from Western Missouri and I remember in 3rd grade seeing the news the next day I guess . I want to go up to Duluth , Mn someday and see the iron ships .Especially the Arthur Anderson and the James R Barker . You boys up that way wanna tell me the best time of year to see them ?

That's interesting - I was teaching 3rd grade when she went down.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/anchor-of-the-edmund-fitzgerald/view/google/%23:~:text%3DOn%2520November%252010%252C%25201975%252C%2520the,docked%2520on%2520the%2520Detroit%2520River.&ved=2ahUKEwi4yZbj8fjsAhXaXc0KHVlcCy4QFjANegQIBRAE&usg=AOvVaw22SBSdMYsWSw_HLBXHynDE

Im on my phone, if someone cares to fix the link above.
Thank you.

Last edited by jimy; 11/10/20.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
352 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.