Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Howdy all,

I recently picked up a Marlin 336 LTS 16" 30-30 while I was home last month. I just like the way it felt and I have always liked straight stocked Marlins.

Here are my questions:

Is this an unusual model? I rarely see 16" pre safety guns.

Is there any real practical value to a gun like this over a bolt action carbine?

Anyone ever shoot cast bullets through their 30-30s?

Can anyone tell me much about the LTS model?

Left to right:

1894 44 mag "Limited"
Model 39 Mountie
336 LTS

[img][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/189439.jpg[/img][/img]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
According to information I have read there were about 2,700 LTS rifles made during 1988 and 1989. I have one but mine has a safety. I think Marlin started placing the crossbolt safeties on guns around 1985 or so. The Maurader was basicilly the same gun but it has a rounded lever instead of the square lever on your gun. Marlin made a few 336's, pre safety that had 18 1/2" barrels that are rare also. To be honest I don't know what you have. The fact that your gun has no safety puzzles me. It is my understanding that the "S" in LTS, stands for safety. Other than the safety your rifle looks just like mine. There are others more knowledgeable than I who will probably have an answer soon.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
JMR40,

Now you have me second guessing myself. Unfortunately I am in Iraq and my LTS is in Idaho. I purchased this gun from a pawn shop, took a couple of pics and put it in the safe without firing it or even handling it much.

Perhaps it does have the safety and I was too preoccupied with the usual last minute deployment chores around the house that I did not pay attention.

I am inclined to believe you are correct as I have a whopping 5 minutes time handling this gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If that is a picture of it on the far right, it doesn't look like it has the safety. The picture is pretty clear and I don't see the safety button there.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't see the safety either but I also can't see one on the .44 and it is new enough that it should have one. I'm no expert and hoped someone more knowledgeable than I could say for sure.

I bought mine 4 or 5 years at a gun show and probably paid too much. I had never seen one before,( or since for that matter) and figured they were rare. I only learned what I had later,and it is one my favorite guns. I have a soft spot for Marlins with straight stocks and own several with 20" barrels. This seems to combine the best features of the Marlins and Winchesters to me. My LTS is slightly less accurate in my hands, but perfectly capable out to 100 yards or so.

I sometimes carry my LTS hunting when I expect to do a lot of walking or if in thick brush. To be honest though if I am really serious about killing a dear I usually carry one of my scoped bolt rifles. I have proven thatI am capable of shooting sub 2 inch groups at 100 yards with my levers, but I still have more confidence in my scoped rifles. The LTS weighe 6 1/2 pounds without scope. I have 2 bolt rifles that weigh 7 pounds with scopes so there is not much weight difference.

Be careful in Iraq and come back to enjoy your new rifle.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Guys,

Thanks for the replies. The 44 does have a safety and I am inclined to believe I just did not notice it on the LTS. I know I like the way it felt. Hopefully I will be home for a bit in the fall to enjoy it. Time will tell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that all LTS rifles had safeties. Everything Marlin made staring in 1984 had safties. I used to own an LTS and have owned Marauders in both 30-30 and 35. They are neat rifles and about as handy as they come. My problem with them was that the barrel is so short, the front sight always looked too big through the peep sight. I ended up scoping mine with a Leupold 2.5X Compact. It did not ruin the balance and made for a slick little rig, but I always end up carrying my standard length 336 rifles with 2-7X scopes in the field for some reason.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mackay-Thanks for your service & we pray for everyone's safe return!!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Tim,

Its funny but I always feel awkward about folks thanking me for doing what I do. I have never gotten used to it.

Heck I am paid a good wage and I volunteered! The biggest downside is being away from the family.

Sincerely though, Thank You for the support.

Mackay Sagebrush

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,067 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.