Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I don't, but have thought about using my old 351 Win SL, iirc the 180gr Hawk bullet runs around 1800 fps over 4227 powder, may work on a close lung hit.

Trump Won!
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine. Shot numerous jack rabbits and cottontails with it, using various loads and reloads. Could not get rid of it fast enough. 22 lr hollow points were far more lethal. Now, with the 110 gr bullets designed for the Blackout it maybe a better round.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
30 carbine is a terrible deer round. Under 50 yards, maybe, but you better not make a marginal hit as the kinetic energy of the bullet impact is weak. Had a relative hunt with one for years, he was always losing deer and wasted a lot of people’s time trailing poorly shot deer.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 11/10/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grandpa didnt like using them on folks from asia, he said they sure as hell weren't adequate for deer.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've had only 1 experience with a 30 carbine, way back in Jr high. A friend and I were with our dads. He was carrying one. We hadn't even left the car when a doe ran by. I was closest and lung shot her with a 30-30 from about 40 or 50 yds. Then my friend cut loose with the carbine. He had a 16 round mag and I'm not kidding, when we skinned her we counted 16 holes besides mine. He hit her in any place a deer could be shot. It was a mess. Dad winked at me and said to him 'here's your deer'. I don't remember what bullets he was using, probably milsurp solids.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Grandpa didnt like using them on folks from asia, he said they sure as hell weren't adequate for deer.

Must not have been them people from the Philippines.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by joken2

Hard to figure how both the .30 carbine and .223 were acceptable cartridges for military issue and killed countless enemies but considered not up to par to kill a deer with.

In a firefight, a wound is often as good as or better than a kill. Not so much in a hunt. Same reason you dont hunt deer with hand grenades.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Funny how we're told the .30 Carbine won't work on deer, but the 32-20 has been used as such for almost 140 years, (Elmer Keith used a 32-20 revolver to take three mule deer and an elk (SIXGUNS pp.276)) and now the .327 Federal, either from a revolver or a Henry lever is said to be the berries for deer. Either of the aforementioned are less powerful than the .30 Carbine from a rifle.

I say, as with any cartridge, place your shots properly, go forth with a good bullet and load, and you'll be fine.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My uncle wants to hunt with his old military M1. I was unsure of the knockdown power of the .30 carbine but right now it’s trying to find a smaller magazine that’s the problem anyways.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Does anyone hunt with one? Recommendation for factory load? I know it's not the most ideal cartridge for deer, but it's my Aunts rifle who has killed a ton of deer with it. She's in her 70s and hasn't hunted deer in awhile so I asked her if I could try to fill a tag or two with it this year. I plan on picking my shots wisely and keeping them to 50 yards.

That should work. Two girl cousins shot numerous blacktails with them. Use Remington or Winchester softpoint ammo and put them in their lungs.

I never used a .30 Carbine on deer but my first CF rifle was an 1892 24" octagon in .32-20. Those work pretty well at short range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Deer deserve to be treated with more respect than that.
Just saying.....

I tend to agree with that. I've got my fathers Carbine that he bought through the DCM back in the 1960's. I've deer hunted with it, even shot one, something that didn't turn out too well. Sure, it'll kill a deer, probably kill an elephant if you hit in the right place, but there are far better choices. If it's all you have, and you need to kill a deer, pick your shot at as close a range as possible, and it'll probably work just fine. But just remember, there are better choices in a deer rifle.

Last edited by JamesJr; 11/11/20.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Sentimental reasons.
I guess are driving you wanting to hunt with it.

You might regret it if a nice buck presents a shot and you aint got a reach out their and touch something rifle with some power behind it.

Just saying.....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I had a good friend that used it once, his handle was thirteen shoots fired.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

It's been several years now but originally the .30 cal. carbine round was not allowed for deer in Kentucky. During the same period .240 caliber was the minimum legal cartridge allowed. Both are legal here now though.

Hard to figure how both the .30 carbine and .223 were acceptable cartridges for military issue and killed countless enemies but considered not up to par to kill a deer with.

Because, in combat, no one is concerned with instantaneous drops or tracking jobs. Often times a wounded combatant takes two stretcher bearers and/or a medic out of the action as well.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have to say a .30 carbine would not be my first choice for deer, but if it was all I had there would be no hesitation. Pretty much like plinkin’ hogs with CB Shorts, it’s all about placement.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It's been several years now but originally the .30 cal. carbine round was not allowed for deer in Kentucky. During the same period .240 caliber was the minimum legal cartridge allowed. Both are legal here now though.

Because, in combat, no one is concerned with instantaneous drops or tracking jobs. Often times a wounded combatant takes two stretcher bearers and/or a medic out of the action as well.

a wounded soldier can sill fire back and kill you
once a shot a small finch with the 30 carbine the bullet bounced of it almost hit me and the little finch just flew away

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My two eldest sons, 29 and 30, killed their first deer with one 20+ years ago. A borrowed, scope sighted rifle with Remington loads. Seem to recall 75'ish yard shots, through the lungs, a short run and down.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad told me he traded his Carbine for a Springfield when he witnessed a guy riding back into camp laughing about a chest wound he received from a idiot sentry armed with a carbine.

Politics is War by Other Means
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Guy I used to work with used one exclusively. He wasn’t a gun guy... didn’t understand what the problem was when the gun guys would criticize it. He killed more deer than most of the gun guys.

It’s like any other cartridge/rifle combination: understand what it takes to kill what you’re hunting in terms of shot placement and penetration potential, use it within those parameters and you’re fine.

Sometimes we tend to judge a cartridge’s effectiveness by factors that have nothing to do with effectiveness.

The longest follow up I can recall on a deer was one hit marginally with a.30-06. I killed it wi my .44 magnum.

Just because somebody’s cousin Elrod loses half a dozen deer a year ass-shooting them with a .30 Carbine, doesn’t mean it’s no good. Elrod would lose just as many with a.30-06 because he’s a pisspoor shot. When he finally gets a.300 magnum because the .30-06 won’t put deer down fast enough, the problem will only get worse.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.