M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by EdM
My most recent kit...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dang it Ed, you’ve had me lusting for a four inch 631 since the first day you posted a picture of that one.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You should try the rubber grips, much slimmer - and just a pleasure to carry.
Here is a distant cousin to yours

Ya know they didn’t make very many of these !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by EdM
My most recent kit...

Dang it Ed, you’ve had me lusting for a four inch 631 since the first day you posted a picture of that one.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/10/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one has been a good "kit" gun for many of my trips out into the fields and mountains. S&W 36 3" heavy barrel, .38 Spec., Simply Rugged holster. HKS speed loaders.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Chubbowicz

Target sighted 32......

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RGK
I guess this one could be considered a kit gun. Works for me on TX pig hunts. Either pocket-carried (no holster) or in my little day pack.
Bob

where did you find that holster?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My usual is a 32H&R in a 432PD a Ruger SP101 a Bisley or a Charrter Arms.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GunGeek
So what is a "kit gun" to you?

I know the classic definition, but these days I see people talk about .357 & .44 "kit guns". Makes me wonder, what is the role people assign to their "kit guns"?

To me they are just any lighter weight, relatively accurate handgun chambered for a round useful for the hoped for purpose. They are a secondary use item to me. That is to say they are not my main reason for being out there.

I may carry it on my person or in my pack depending.

For general use, I prefer revolvers, generally with 4" barrels. For more limited roles, semi auto pistols get the nod.

My most carried are a S&W 651 4" and a Taurus Ti .357 magnum. I carry the 651 when grouse are around, I have shot cartridges, HP's and solids with me. It gets varmint and pest duty and is often with me when hunting with a long gun. The .357 Mag is carried when I don't have a long gun with me and want a little more power. Most of the time when I am just bumming around or packing meat. I carry solids HP and shot with me. These both weigh right at 28 ounces and aren't much trouble.

When I am focused more on hunting with a rimfire I usually use my 22/45 ul with a scope or mini red dot. I always wanted a 6 inch Woodsman or High Standard but never found one for a price I liked.

When I am focused primarily on defense I carry a Glock. Usually a 26 or 19 with loads appropriate to the intended use. The autoloaders Are similar in weight to the revolvers.

They weigh close to 28 oz loaded, much more and I find reasons not to pack it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ploughman
Gnoahh,

The reference to the Colt .22 in "Big Two Hearted River" is Adams reminiscing about a fishing trip with his friend Hopkins before the war (WWI). There is nothing to indicate he has it along with him at the time of the story. And, of course, it would have to be a "Pre-Woodsman" since it was a pre-WWI gun.

True - I always imagined he had it along but the text actually reads "It took eight days for the telegram to reach him. Hopkins gave away his .22 caliber Colt automaic pistol to Nick."

That won't stop me from dreaming though grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
for daily chores the snub nose titanium 38's are hard to beat with 2 ratshot and HP's, don't even know its there. Probably not a true kit gun though. Like gungeek the berretta model 70 is one that I have always coveted, the new 22s are workable I guess.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by EdM
My most recent kit...

Indeed. Here so equipped with its brother Bisley.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice Edm..

3 of. Us guys

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I regularly carry the Rossi Models 511, 515, 518, 720, or 971 depending on what I'm doing and/or where I'm going.

I mostly carry the 518, .22 MAG, or 720, .44 Special. Having 3 hard cast 240 grain SWCs and 2 CCI snakeshot cartridges in a compact stainless revolver gives me a little peace of mind. Not long ago these handgun could regularly be purchased for under $300, but prices have risen for reason that aren't clear to me.

The S&W Modesl 422, 622, 2206 with 4.5" barrels could be used as kit guns if you weren't going to use snakeshot. I have found that for me, .22 LR snake shoe isn't as effective as. 22 MAG and that neither are as effective as the .38/357 and .44 varieties.

I have only encountered one instance when I needed the kit gun for self-protection, when I encountered a couple of guys while I was fishing in an out of the way place who may have been smoking meth and made aggressive overtures until I unholstered the 720 and showed them that further aggression might be hazardous to their health. Carrying one of those revolvers has become second nature and although not perfect, they are capable of doing whatever most people need doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only two guns I actually carry in a kit from time to time are a Glock 42 and a NAA Pug .22 WMR. They are more for backup or arming a friend.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I ran across an old school smith 43 yesterday, extremely good condition but no box. Trying to talk myself into it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I received what may become my new Kit Gun. The mailman delivered (thank you C&R) a dandy S&W M1903 Hand Ejector, 4th variant, .32 Long. What a sweetie!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by RGK
I guess this one could be considered a kit gun. Works for me on TX pig hunts. Either pocket-carried (no holster) or in my little day pack.
Bob

where did you find that holster?

Custom job. Made by Vic Perez, Burbank, CA. Copy of a WWII Larsen flap holster (in left hand) for a PP Walther. Nice leather work by Vic; it's pretty old now.
Bob

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I received what may become my new Kit Gun. The mailman delivered (thank you C&R) a dandy S&W M1903 Hand Ejector, 4th variant, .32 Long. What a sweetie!

I think my 22 RF is on the same frame?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by EdM
My most recent kit...

I’m quite fond of Hogue Bantams for 2” J-Frame revolvers:

But, when I tried the particular Hogue grips shown in the posts above, I found they have a different grip angle which just doesn’t suit me well. So, they were relegated to my disturbingly large collection of unused handgun grips. The old two piece Pachmayr Compacts still work best for me on a 4” J-Frame:

Every day’s an adventure.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yes! I love those Pachmayr grips on my 60-4.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

629 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,021 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,258
Posts18,448,140
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.