24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
OP Offline
U
Looking for a clear understanding . I am interested in selling an inline muzzleloader, Rem 700ML, that has the 209 conversion. If a potential purchaser is out of state, must I ship to a FFL dealer rather than directly to an individuals home? I have read conflicting interpretations on the subject. I was under the impression that in the 2005 FFL newsletter, I believe, it was determined that such a muzzleloader could ship directly to a person's home. It states that many modern in-line muzzleloaders including those that use #209 shotgun primers for ignition now meet the definition of “antique firearm” and are excluded from the provisions of the GCA (Gun Control Act). Does anyone know if there is a legal requirement that conflicts with this 2005 FFL newsletter? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Here is the link to the 2005 FFL newsletter: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/n...ensees-newsletter-february-2005/download

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have had 2 new inlines shipped directly to my house in the last 3 years. Both from an online retailer so I would say you have no issues.

I would make sure to package the gun so that there is no giving away what is inside.

I do think there may be some states or certain parts of some states that are more communist and require a muzzleloader to go through an FFL and may even require the muzzleloader to be shipped FFLto FFL but I am completely unsure on that.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/18/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
None required by ATF. Can't help with some states.California and Illinois particularly.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Shipping any muzzleloader to New Jersey - must ship to an FFL. frown

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can simply mail a ML rifle or shotgun (not a firearm with a ML barrel like a regular Encore), but anything that can be considered concealable like a cap and ball revolver, must be shipped by someone like UPS. That’s as of the last time I checked the ATF and postal regs a few years ago. Best to check again unless you feel lucky.

Barring a problem with state laws at either end, the gun you describe can just go UPS or Fedex, by law, but if you insure it and have to tell the locals what’s in the box, be prepared for some trouble from dumbazz clerks. Knight sent my rifle right to me a few months ago.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No federal requirements for that. Silly state requirements may apply.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
The new Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader is built on a standard 700 action and DOES require a FFL to ship just like any of the other 700 actions.

Has nothing to do with the 209 ignition.

That is my understanding; forgive me if I am wrong.

God Bless, Louis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by youngoutdoors
The new Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader is built on a standard 700 action and DOES require a FFL to ship just like any of the other 700 actions.

God Bless, Louis

I was told it is the same as a encore muzzleloader. The "receiver" is still a firearm readily converted to cartridges.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Agreed, unfortunately needs an ffl like an Encore or like the H&R Huntsman as opposed to the Sidekick. Correct that the 209 has nothing to do with it, it is the fact that the action is used in a cartridge rifle or shotgun.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Terryk

God Bless, Louis

I was told it is the same as a encore muzzleloader. The "receiver" is still a firearm readily converted to cartridges.

Depends on the Encore. I have an Encore FX that can’t be converted to anything. I was able to have it shipped directly to the house.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

God Bless, Louis

That is my understanding as well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It has nothing to do with the 209 but if the action can be converted to centerfire. Some communist states want them shipped to FFL's.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Until a lawsuit settled it, 209 primed muzzleloaders did require shipping to an FFL and a 4473.
But that was quite awhile ago.
The Traditions Nitro Fire require a 4473, as they are breechloaded with a cartridge. Those would have to go through an FFL for shipping.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Muzzle-Loaders.com ships those direct, at least that’s how it appears on the website. No mention of an FFL requirement.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
It'll be a state thing, not federal. Here in the people's republic of IL, any type of firearm, even a pellet gun, is to go through a FFL whether the ATF says it does or not. I know, I know.... it's great here. But this is where life has me at the moment...

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 10/29/23.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think DE and NJ are the same way. Makes me feel so much safer🙄

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I bought my first muzzleloader, a T/C Omega, it was shipped to my door in New Yorkistan.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Here too... but not anymore.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I think DE and NJ are the same way. Makes me feel so much safer🙄
Add Hawaii

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.