Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I'm contemplating the purchase of a Wilson Q-type trim die and the die holder / micrometer-trimmer. I have a few thousand Starline revolver cases I want to trim so that I get consistent roll crimps. I have a Lee case length gauge / lock-stud type trimmer now but I don't think it will trim the cases square. Is there a better method than the Q-type die and trimmer?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Although slow, the Lee case length gauge works well for me and the mouths just need a light deburring.

If you want to spend the $$ for the Wilson, by all means go ahead...it gets good reviews.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There is really nothing better to square the case mouths up than the Wilson trimmer. I use it for everything. It uses the body of the case to provide stability. Just about all the other trimmers (and I have used them) support the case off of the base. There is inherently a lot of room for error by using the base of the case for support when trimming it. The wilson will take more time but it is by far worth it.

At one with the gun.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My sentiments exactly. I've used my Wilson exclusively for all trimming chores for around 40 years now. Slow as heck, but what's time to a pig anyway?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
The Wilson Q-type case holder actually looks quite quick. It's only offered for rimmed revolver type brass but that's what I need. I will no doubt also buy a case holder for my rifle cartridges, and that will be slower going, but I would use it far less.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 11/14/20.
IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It would be a lot cheaper to switch to the Lee FCD so that case trimming is unnecessary.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have a FCD. I took the crimper out of it and just use it for the carbide ring to body size the cases. Why does it preclude the need for consistent case length?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I had been using the Lee case length gauge / lock-stud type trimmer, but was not satisfied with the results on magnum revolver cases. I looked at the Wilson Q-type trim die and the die holder / micrometer-trimmer, but I'd have to get a custom Q die for my caliber of concern, plus I'd have to hold the Q die by hand as the clamp toggle doesn'twork with those. So I decided to go with the RCBS trimmer and have gotten excellent results.

BUT, a guy on the high road forum is selling a dozen used Wilson trimmers cheap...just sayin'.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Mostly Preowned: I have a Wilson that I have used for years. The old style handgun shell holders were a pain. I know nothing of the Q shell holders. What I did for most trimming jobs now is se a Lyman with power adapter. Actually, I have two Lyman's and an RCBS set up. One Lyman is set up to or dedicated for .308 length cases. I do see buying a Wilson as overkill for revolver cases only. Most of my reloading gear is second hand. Shop around.

Last edited by Roundball1; 11/27/20.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
I have a FCD. I took the crimper out of it and just use it for the carbide ring to body size the cases. Why does it preclude the need for consistent case length?

The FCD has a collet that squeezes the case from the sides. A roll crimp die curves the case mouth into the bullet - thus the case length is critical for achieving a consistent crimp.

The FCD is a better way to crimp revolver cartridges.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

349 members (1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,663
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.