Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
OP Offline
J
My nephew, who lived in Ketchikan, has offered to take me bear hunting on Prince of Wales next May. He suggested that in addition to bringing a rifle for the hunt, that I should bring a handgun as a backup just in case. The only handgun, other than a 9mm that I own, is a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. Is that potent enough for the bear located on the island? Do I really need a backup gun? I have hunted deer, elk and antelope but I never have hunted bear nor have I been to Prince of Wales so any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think you’ll be fine not carrying a pistol for backup. 😉

I wouldn’t throw my rifle down and Wild Bill Hickok a charging bear.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The handgun backup while you have an actual hunting rifle in your hands seems like a pretty retarded idea to me.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
if you have emptied your rifle on a bear charging you you will MOST LIKELY not have time for the back up, bears cover ground fast. I don't carry a "backup" when I hunt them. I only carry a pistol in bear country when I am NOT hunting them and I don't carry a, 357. Bear protection for me begins at .44. even it is only black bears as found on POW

J
OP Offline
J
I think why my nephew was suggest it was because in addition to bear hunting, we would be doing some fishing although I don't know what kind of fishing there is to done in May. Salmon? Are there rivers or lakes on POW with other fish? Trout?

IC B2

J
OP Offline
J
My brother in law (the father of my nephew), suggested that I should take his handgun which he claims is much better than a .357 magnum. He owns a Glock 20 which is a 10mm Auto and I mention this because of the small amount of research I have done about back up Alaska guns and if this particular automatic is acceptable or even should be considered compared to a revolver.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by justabagoftricks
My brother in law (the father of my nephew), suggested that I should take his handgun which he claims is much better than a .357 magnum. He owns a Glock 20 which is a 10mm Auto and I mention this because of the small amount of research I have done about back up Alaska guns and if this particular automatic is acceptable or even should be considered compared to a revolver.

The 10mm will work and so would your 9mm. Phil Shoemaker used a 9mm with 147 grain hardcasts from Buffalo Bore to stop and kill a 900 pound brown bear

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are hunting with a rifle and can't kill a bear with it, then your chances with any handgun are pretty slim.
And in all the testing I did with various handguns and assuming equal quality bullets, I would rate the 357 and the 10 mm as virtual equals, so pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
OP Offline
J
The handgun would be for days that I am not hunting for bear but were in the area where bear may be located. I would hope I could kill a bear with a rifle. I wouldn't think about trying to tackle a bear with a handgun. I am most comfortable with the 357 since I have owned it and shot it for years. I assume that the effectiveness of the caliber can be improved by selecting ammunition for this circumstance? Something that would penetrate? Would it be wise to invest in a larger caliber?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by justabagoftricks
The handgun would be for days that I am not hunting for bear but were in the area where bear may be located. I would hope I could kill a bear with a rifle. I wouldn't think about trying to tackle a bear with a handgun. I am most comfortable with the 357 since I have owned it and shot it for years. I assume that the effectiveness of the caliber can be improved by selecting ammunition for this circumstance? Something that would penetrate? Would it be wise to invest in a larger caliber?

If you've got a 357 and are comfortable with it, get some heavy full-magnum loads using heavy bullets (at least 180 grains). It will work if you can shoot it.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buffalo Bore and Grizzly Cartridge Co. both make "heavy" .357 loads with 180 gr. hard cast FN bullets that would be the cat's meow for what you are planning.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for all the information. Since the hunt is more than a few months away, I will start looking into the possibilities of making the .357 as potent as possible for the Alaska trip coming up.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Buffalo Bore and Grizzly Cartridge Co. both make "heavy" .357 loads with 180 gr. hard cast FN bullets that would be the cat's meow for what you are planning.

You will be fine w the .357. I’ve carried mine in similar circumstances and had no worries.

The key as you indicated as well as others, is bullet selection. 180 gr hard cast hand loads or from one of the above mfgs is your huckleberry.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=162

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458Win
If you are hunting with a rifle and can't kill a bear with it, then your chances with any handgun are pretty slim.
And in all the testing I did with various handguns and assuming equal quality bullets, I would rate the 357 and the 10 mm as virtual equals, so pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Phil
I recall you have posted a pic of your wife in the cabin kitchen w a .357 holstered at her back?

180 HC in that?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know squat about handguns and their potential to kill (other than a .38 Special on a mountain lion), but I must ask: you realize as a non-resident you need to draw to hunt bear on POW don't you? From the sounds of your post you're making me think that you're assuming it is a registration or hunt ticket hunt. The spring 2022 application period is open right now FYI....and this isn't a real high odds draw. It's not a unicorn tag, but not an unlimited tag either.

I personally wouldn't carry a handgun as backup, even when not primarily bear hunting. Black bears (or even griz) are rarely aggressive especially in spring, though they can be if you're near their food source. I'd be more inclined to carry a .22 LR pistol while fishing for any grouse that want to show up, if they're in season when you're there. Birds there may close on April 30th...I'm not too sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 458Win

Phil
I recall you have posted a pic of your wife in the cabin kitchen w a .357 holstered at her back?

180 HC in that?

Yes, that is what she, my daughter and even I carry most of the time

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks.

IIRC, your reasoning was sufficient penetration with less recoil than other hand cannons for quicker reacquisition of the target?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just carry a 10mm Glock these days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I just carry a 10mm Glock these days.

What is your preferred ammo for your Glock?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
According to Heim Korth in the book "The Final Frontiersman" I would follow the advise:
Before taking a handgun into bear country make sure that the front sight is filed off. Because it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves the gun up your arse.

On the other hand:
In a case of immediate emergency even the 357 Magnum might help:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2008/01/grizzly-attack-caught-camera/

Elmer Keith
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.