Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Aside from the caliber, I would bring a fairly-potent handgun backup based on my experience. Before my first of two Alaskan hunts, my experienced and knowledgeable guide told me that it was a waste. I brought one anyway, and was glad I did, especially when not hunting back at camp. It’s just not realistic to have your rifle in your hands every second when, for example, you’re at camp, including taking a piss at night, or setting up a tent or cooking or whatever. I had my handgun comfortably with me at all times, except for when hunting, which is not all of the time. Much more reliable and convenient to have near you at all times.

Originally Posted by 458Win
If you are hunting with a rifle and can't kill a bear with it, then your chances with any handgun are pretty slim.

Phil: Didn't your need for the 9mm in that incident occur because you and your hunting party had their rifles not within reach (which is common and understandable at times)?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Aside from the caliber, I would bring a fairly-potent handgun backup based on my experience. Before my first of two Alaskan hunts, my experienced and knowledgeable guide told me that it was a waste. I brought one anyway, and was glad I did, especially when not hunting back at camp. It’s just not realistic to have your rifle in your hands every second when, for example, you’re at camp, including taking a piss at night, or setting up a tent or cooking or whatever. I had my handgun comfortably with me at all times, except for when hunting, which is not all of the time. Much more reliable and convenient to have near you at all times.

If you are hunting with a rifle and can't kill a bear with it, then your chances with any handgun are pretty slim.

Phil: Didn't your need for the 9mm in that incident occur because you and your hunting party had their rifles not within reach (which is common and understandable at times)?

No, I don't carry a long gun when fishing and we run into bears on a daily basis. in forty years that was the only time I felt the need to kill one.

However I never carry a handgun while bear hunting

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info Phil.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The odds of having to shoot a black bear in self defense are very low, as 99 out of a hundred will run from you. "Yeah, an old friend replied, "but then there's that one."

Many, many people have been chewed up and/or killed by black bears. I try to be armed at all times when in bear country. You will leave the long gun in camp when you walk a few yards out to whiz, but you'll wear a pistol.

In grizzly country if hunting alone I like to carry a handgun in case I get sprung on and separated from the long gun. Laying there wishing you could bleed out faster while a grizzly eats your intestines is not my idea of a happy ending.

A better plan than a "backup pistol" is for you and your armed partner to stay within close range at all times, and ready to protect the other. My Kodiak deer hunting partner and I always slept in separate tents, in case one got pounced on in the night. Not likely, but it has happened.

Last edited by RimfireArtist; 01/01/21.
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
According to Heim Korth in the book "The Final Frontiersman" I would follow the advise:
Before taking a handgun into bear country make sure that the front sight is filed off. Because it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves the gun up your arse.

On the other hand:
In a case of immediate emergency even the 357 Magnum might help:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2008/01/grizzly-attack-caught-camera/

Old joke. Its always my first thought when somebody brings up a .357 though.

IC B2

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
According to Heim Korth in the book "The Final Frontiersman" I would follow the advise:
Before taking a handgun into bear country make sure that the front sight is filed off. Because it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves the gun up your arse.

On the other hand:
In a case of immediate emergency even the 357 Magnum might help:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2008/01/grizzly-attack-caught-camera/

Old joke. Its always my first thought when somebody brings up a .357 though.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Phil had fishing clients and has posted that if he had known prior what was to transpire, he'd have had old ugly.

How do you piss with a handgun? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender

With one handy, unlike a rifle:

Option A-Belt holster: (A) Open the fly with the belt on; pee with holstered firearm in about 13" range of hand; [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Option B with a different option. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I know you think you know a lot more than me, and you likely do, but it's a lot more easy to piss in BB country with a big handgun handy than a rifle, and you likely won't deny that if you're being honest.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
if he had known prior what was to transpire, he'd have had ....

Never can be sure. Easy to have a backup handy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

With one handy, unlike a rifle:

Option A-Belt holster: (A) Open the fly with the belt on; pee with holstered firearm in about 13" range of hand; [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Option B with a different option. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I know you think you know a lot more than me, and you likely do, but it's a lot more easy to piss in BB country with a big handgun handy than a rifle, and you likely won't deny that if you're being honest.

I am curious, do you live in Alaska?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
No. Do you live in SW Alaska, which was about 1,000 miles from where you are?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

No. Do you live in SW Alaska, which was about 1,000 miles from where you are?

You got me....there aren't many bears where I live, carry on .

J
J
I've been to POW 3 times and you should not need a sidearm. A bug net, rubber rain gear and 100% Deet will save you more.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Ok. Ease up ya overachiever.

Amazon has a special on senses of humor until January 5th. Buy one.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no idea of what sort of handgun it takes to win a pissing contest about bear protection!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have no idea of what sort of handgun it takes to win a pissing contest about bear protection!

lol,

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BCJR

lol,

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I've yet to come up with a suitable analogy for the prostate of an aging man in the shooting/hunting arena.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I've yet to come up with a suitable analogy for the prostate of an aging man in the shooting/hunting arena.

I have always found the " use it or loose it " philosophy true in both cases.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I have always found the " use it or loose it " philosophy true in both cases.

Haha! Two quips in a row, and still, truer words are seldom spoken!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,848 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.