Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Have a Kleenex handy.

To satisfy any curiosity, the three Just One Shot stories in the 24HrCampfryer book are not based on the Black Watch Scouts. They were based on CDN scout training. My stories were written before this was made, but no different.

Black Watch Snipers is a feature length docudrama about a sniper platoon in the Second World War seen through the eyes of five men from Canada’s most storied Regiment – the Black Watch. Suffering more casualties than any other Canadian regiment during the war, this band of brothers witnessed enormous sacrifices and together endured the ultimate test of combat as they participated in the liberation of Western Europe from the clutches of Nazi tyranny. Armed with nothing but their wits and sniper rifles, these five men not only survived one of the greatest sagas in Canadian history, but four of them are still alive to talk about it. This is their story.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very moving. Thanks for the link Steve.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
No problem.

If anyone visits the Ottawa area (post COVID), check out the Canadian War Museum - www.warmuseum.ca Like any museum, there's lots to see.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve:
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day finds you well and you folks are getting more sun than we are currently.

Thanks for the video link, I've personally watched that at least twice and was impressed both times at how well it was done and the courage of the men involved.

We somehow don't teach enough of how we got to this point in our national history, or at least we didn't when I was in school 40 plus years ago.

Thanks again and all the best to you all as we head into winter Steve.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I actually did have a minor question on the correct scope on some of the "sniper" rifles. Some of them looked like K-series Weavers. Am I bosch to question those for the WWII time window/ I thought they came later.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B2

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thank you Steve for the very moving video. They call those fellas the greatest generation for a reason.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
...We somehow don't teach enough of how we got to this point in our national history, or at least we didn't when I was in school 40 plus years ago...

Dwayne

Unfortunately, we don't. Canadians don't talk much about what they've done in the past. The Brits would call us "understated" when talking about our past. It's a shame. We lose some of our history by not talking about it.

Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
I actually did have a minor question on the correct scope on some of the "sniper" rifles. Some of them looked like K-series Weavers. Am I bosch to question those for the WWII time window/ I thought they came later.

No Weavers.

There were three scopes that were used on No 4T rifles. The first was the Lyman Alaskan, a 2.5 power scope. Canada wanted a steady supply of home made scopes and started up a Crown corporation called REL or Research Enterprises Limited. It was only in business for a few years. They produced the No 32 and No 67 scopes - both 3.5 power. The No 67 was the rare one, with only about 100 made. I am not a historian, so there are gaps.

There were over 20,000 No 4T rifles made, most of them in the UK, done by Holland and Holland. Canada made about 1600 at Long Branch Arsenal in Ontario.

Originally Posted by PSE
Thank you Steve for the very moving video. They call those fellas the greatest generation for a reason.

My pleasure. A great bunch, those guys!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Black Watch Blood.

SALUTE.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Excellent production and very moving.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.