Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been selling some off this last year, as I can't do much hunting anymore, but this was too good a deal to pass up. It's a bank-vault-solid Merkel 90 12/12/7X65R with a Leupold 3.5-10 in a swing mount. This model has a top tang safety behind the rifle barrel selector, not the Greener side safety or the Mdl 95/96 everything on one big slider assembly that's very awkward.

The gun is experienced, but it has never been abused. It fires very tight groups, according to my good friend, the seller. Being a Panzermerkel, it's strong enough to load to standard 280 Rem speeds. The 7X65R has almost the exact case capacity as the 280, and we use the 280 loading date, usually dialed back 5-10% for lighter framed drillings. Trade-off...it's Heavy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice

I was out killing coyotes today with my BRNO combo. 5.6x52R strikes again 175 yards bang/flop.

Last edited by erich; 11/11/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by erich
Nice

I was out killing coyotes today with my BRNO combo. 5.6x52R strikes again 175 yards bang/flop.

Where are you right now?

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Very nice!
Sell 1, buy 2 that way you are never without one
Ronnie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At the kitchen counter, but going out to the driveway in a minute.

Make mine a Minaska

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
Very nice!
Sell 1, buy 2 that way you are never without one
Ronnie

I sold two and bought one. My hunting days are just about only memories.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Nice one! You need to pick up its bigger brother in 30-06t that he has up on GI. Why stop at one. :-) . Enjoy!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That Wolf drilling is even heavier than this gun. Wolf guns have relatively thick barrels, and the Wolf in '06 is no exception. It's built on the same frame and is strong!! Dale is kicking around some scope options for it and might do some great things.

If it were a light circa 1960s Sauer 3000 I'd be in serious trouble. They're about 2 pounds lighter, and at 73 with a twice-broken back and phony left shoulder it becomes a big deal.

Someone should nab that Wolf. It's a true steal!!! shocked cool

I should be selling, not buying. Maybe I should also be selling two and use the money to buy something special, or maybe sell five and get a vierling.

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/12/20.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have heard that buying a drilling meant you only needed one gun, but that doesn't appear to be true. Why am I not surprised?

Nice gun.

Last edited by Hogeye; 11/12/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogeye
I have heard that buying a drilling meant you only needed one gun, but that doesn't appear to be true. Why am I not surprised?

Nice gun.

That's One gun each day. wink I'm sold down to where I take Mondays off. frown

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Nice gun.

Ah, so that's the secret to drilling addiction!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Nice gun.

Ah, so that's the secret to drilling addiction!

An apt pupil, you're learning. Apply all your rifle-loonie bad habits, JB.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Even old dogs chase cars.
My first thought was, 'wonder if Bruce would sell it?' Then I remembered that I can't chase the car to the end of my own yard.
Darn, that is one lovely gun!
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
Even old dogs chase cars.
My first thought was, 'wonder if Bruce would sell it?' Then I remembered that I can't chase the car to the end of my own yard.
Darn, that is one lovely gun!
Bfly

It shoots, too!

I placed three shots at 100yds right at 1" with my 150gr load for my Kreighoff 16/16/7X65R. My factory Norma 156 gr Oryx did a hair over 1.5". It was a cold day, and I let the barrels cool down after each shot, while I played with various Valmet BBFs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bruce, i have heard there is a cure for that sickness! Think it was called a dirt nap! Just got another 99 savage meself!
Would say hope life is treating you well but i can see from the pictures it is!😁

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Bruce, i have heard there is a cure for that sickness! Think it was called a dirt nap! Just got another 99 savage meself!
Would say hope life is treating you well but i can see from the pictures it is!😁

Been ice skating down the driveway this year, Tom?? I hope not. Although hard, your head is no match for ice. wink

I have a special warm spot for 99s. My first deer rifle was a 99FW in the new 243 Win. MAN! We're old.
frown

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been staying vertical so far! Hardly any winter yet. Supposed to get 9 inches of the white water stuff tonight. Good time to sit by the fire and play with my gun s😁

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So what is it with drillings and 99's since my cataract surgery and no longer able to shoot iron sights I'm down to just my 99 in 375 Win. I sold off all the ones that weren't D&T'd and gave the 308 to my nephew for his first deer rifle. I've had a 25-35, 250-3000, 300 Sav, 308 and the 375 Win.

Make mine a Minaska

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It has all to do with good pocket watches, bamboo fly rods, and bird dogs! No stamped out parts, the association of hand fitting work of the craftsman and the hands of the user come together. They give pleasure when you are not in the field.
I can sit in a chair, with no TV or radio, have my boy, Gavin, with his head on my lap and hold any of the others and feel good. I enjoy other guns, but memories, both my own and those who have held them before, somehow channel to me. Like the understanding that we outlive our dogs, we know these will outlive us. It is the continuity of quality.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't need another BAD habit, got my first one last week

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.