Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks Mule Deer! Will do

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bwinters,

Thanks for the clarification on your take on the article--before you read it. No need to apologize, as I understand how we can project our own tendencies into reading anything!

Here's a photo of the last 4 rifles I've purchased and/or traded for:

[Linked Image]

From the top:
Sauer drilling, 16x16x7x57R, with a 1.5-6x Zeiss Diavari scope.
1903-03 Springfield, made by Remington in 1942, apparently all original. (Thethe sling may not be.)
Ruger Hawkeye African, .275 Rigby.
BSA Martini Model 12, a .22 rimfire converted to .22 Hornet.

You can see my recent tendencies, but I still occasionally buy (or "build') a practical hunting rifle, even though between my New Ultra Light ARMS .30-06 and Whitworth .375 H&H (which has both a walnut and synthetic stock), along with a few others, am pretty well outfitted for practicality anywhere in the world.

John I like the BSA very much. You scored well Sir. I had never heard of "panache" until I read an article by Skeeter years ago.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Skeeter was a writer with a LOT of panache. (His son Bart inherited some too!)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What edition of SA does your article appear in?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The most recent, September/October 2020. The cover has a big bull elk bugling directly at the camera, and the cover blurb for the article says, "Traditions vs. Trendsetting."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The most recent, September/October 2020. The cover has a big bull elk bugling directly at the camera, and the cover blurb for the article says, "Traditions vs. Trendsetting."

My Wife's seemingly irrational fear of COVID-19 has kept me out of Barnes & Noble since mid-March.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Always the need to create something to write about. I get that...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
philgood80,

I don't think SA sells individual articles on-line, but they do publish some on-line from past issues--for free. But usually not really recent articles.

You might try purchasing the issue: https://sportsafield.com/back-issues/

Thank You.

I’ll pick it up & read it before stepping too deep into this conversation.

Signed,
Another .260 fan although mine is wrapped in a mid weight barrel surrounded by fiberglass & baked on paint....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters
Very nice!

I have been more than mildly curious with the 275 Rigby given my proclivities to the 280 Rem through the last 35+ years. I've owned a couple 7x57 and think they make ideal medium game cartridges despite Mr. Bell's usage. I've threatened to build one for a while. I'd prefer it stamped 275 Rigby, gives it a bit more panache......

Have you considered the 7x64 for panache ? No point making it easy
, or too practical.

Just a thought

Last edited by 338Rules; 09/20/20. Reason: Tippy typo

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Originally Posted by bwinters
Very nice!

I have been more than mildly curious with the 275 Rigby given my proclivities to the 280 Rem through the last 35+ years. I've owned a couple 7x57 and think they make ideal medium game cartridges despite Mr. Bell's usage. I've threatened to build one for a while. I'd prefer it stamped 275 Rigby, gives it a bit more panache......

Have you considered the 7x64 for panache ? No point making it easy
, or too practical.

Just a thought

Please...baby steps first, mere men may not be able to handle that much goodness in one fell swoop.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We all need panache... some more than others.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mule Deer:

I'm pretty sure that BSA is a Model 15 with what's referred to as a "Special Stock". See the more complete description of the various small frame Martini rimfire rifles here: http://www.adamsguns.com/martini.htm

Rem

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, have already looked the linked info over considerably, but will again.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There's not a lot of practicality for deer hunting in Michigan with a 300 H&H but it does have lots of panache. We altered the metal taking off the little protrusion on the front of the action, rounded the bottom metal, recessed the safety slide and even case colored the barrel band.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] The fore end tip id buffalo horn. I'll post some additional photos in a new thread in the single shot forum

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think it can be summed up with panache Winchester Model 21 and practical Winchester Model 24!

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by philgood80
Is this article available online for purchase? I have searched all over town with no luck trying to find this volume. Isn’t carried here. I know I can go online and subscribe to SA and probably will but that won’t get me this edition.

I looked and looked and didn't find the issue on the newstands either, but apparently it is already available online for free on SA's site. I just found this - haven't even read it yet - wanted to post it first for those who, like me, have been searching for it.

Cheers,
Rex

panache-vs-practicality

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
TRx thanks for the link, I’ve been looking for a copy on the newsstand locally without success. Since first mentioned here.

I’m not sure that the article really touches on Panache so much as Trying to imply that Traditional, but archaic rounds with excessive throating variances imbue the user with this mystical Panache.
My take is that this is Just a Quixotic pursuit of futility.

Far better a .280 , or some flavour of .280 Improved (RCBS 28 degree) for Practical Panache

To me, A 3” 338-300WSM in an Intermediate length CRF action, that feeds flawlessly has panache.
I don’t care if it is stocked in Kevlar reinforced fibreglass, French Walnut, or Birch. It still has to be functional.

Cheers
DixNeuf sucks !

Last edited by 338Rules; 11/13/20. Reason: Typographic panachery

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You guys aren't finding that issue of SA on newstands because it appeared in August.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been LOOKING since August. Strangely, it seems none of the stores in my "orbit" even carry SA at all, despite selling lots of other sporting mags, some of which I would consider far more obscure than SA.

John, I'm assuming the link I posted above is the complete story, and not something abridged for online. I just read it over supper and enjoyed it very much - thanks.
Now I have to get back to the shop and work on inletting the walnut for my 1903 Springfield .275 Rigby, 1903 Springfield 9.3x62, and Mauser .256 Newton (the 1903 Springfield 338-06 is already done). I have a chance to have my buddy drive them on the 6th of December to the fellow in CO that's going to blue them for me. If I can get them all done in time, I'll save a bunch on shipping!

And the next trip to the range is going to be the first trial on the TC Compass II 6.5 CM, in its Tupperware stock, detachable magazine, and matte-black finish.

I reckon I'm kind of middle of the road, like you, but I do love the nice blue and walnut oldies.

Thanks for a nice read,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 11/13/20.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rex,

Yeah, not all newstands carry SA--though here in Montana most do.

The linked article is the entire printed version. Glad you enjoyed it! Many years ago the late, great John Wootters told me that gun writing is primarily entertainment--something I took to heart.

John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
348 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 43 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.