Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by justabagoftricks
My nephew, who lived in Ketchikan, has offered to take me bear hunting on Prince of Wales next May. He suggested that in addition to bringing a rifle for the hunt, that I should bring a handgun as a backup just in case. The only handgun, other than a 9mm that I own, is a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. Is that potent enough for the bear located on the island? Do I really need a backup gun? I have hunted deer, elk and antelope but I never have hunted bear nor have I been to Prince of Wales so any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

So .. I carry a handgun to back up my rifle IFF I am packing a questionably adequate, or questionably reliable, rifle. I grew up in a black bear preserve where we might run into up to a dozen or so in a day. It was along a river where the fishing guides, raft "guides", and some of the tour operators put out garbage to draw the bears in for their customers to take pictures so we had a lot of bears conditioned not to run from humans. If I was deer hunting with my dad's .25-20, or my .223, then you bet, I packed my .44 for bears. Similarly, when I hunt with a muzzleloader, I carry a .44 for "backup".

I don't have any faith in the .357 for that use. It is a paperweight. Better than nothing, I guess, but since i have better, when I carry a .357, I carry a .44 to back it up with.

Today, if I'm hunting with a good centerfire rifle, my dividing line falls around the .257 Roberts and .25-'06. Smaller than them, I definitely carry a backup. With them ... maybe, maybe not. Bigger ... why bother?

I saw your later post ... fishing, not packing your rifle? I would not want to rely on the .357. I'd take your relative's offer of loan of the 10mm. It's not ideal, but if you just have black bears, it's "better". IMHO. A .44 magnum is like an '06. It's the yardstick ... for a reason.

Tom

I'm still trying to figure out how you think a 10mm is a better round than a 357? Not that I think 10 is undersized cause its what I carry 99 percent of the time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think why my nephew was suggest it was because in addition to bear hunting, we would be doing some fishing although I don't know what kind of fishing there is to done in May. Salmon? Are there rivers or lakes on POW with other fish? Trout?

On my second trip to Alaska I carried a handgun. It was comforting to have on me while I was fishing or otherwise could not have my rifle handy. My first day in AK and we had a close call with a big black bear and I was glad I had it with me.
I am in the beginning stages of planning my 3rd and probably last trip now and will most likely be bringing a handgun again.
I say bring your .357

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My nephew, who lived in Ketchikan, has offered to take me bear hunting on Prince of Wales next May. He suggested that in addition to bringing a rifle for the hunt, that I should bring a handgun as a backup just in case. The only handgun, other than a 9mm that I own, is a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. Is that potent enough for the bear located on the island? Do I really need a backup gun? I have hunted deer, elk and antelope but I never have hunted bear nor have I been to Prince of Wales so any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

So .. I carry a handgun to back up my rifle IFF I am packing a questionably adequate, or questionably reliable, rifle. I grew up in a black bear preserve where we might run into up to a dozen or so in a day. It was along a river where the fishing guides, raft "guides", and some of the tour operators put out garbage to draw the bears in for their customers to take pictures so we had a lot of bears conditioned not to run from humans. If I was deer hunting with my dad's .25-20, or my .223, then you bet, I packed my .44 for bears. Similarly, when I hunt with a muzzleloader, I carry a .44 for "backup".

I don't have any faith in the .357 for that use. It is a paperweight. Better than nothing, I guess, but since i have better, when I carry a .357, I carry a .44 to back it up with.

Today, if I'm hunting with a good centerfire rifle, my dividing line falls around the .257 Roberts and .25-'06. Smaller than them, I definitely carry a backup. With them ... maybe, maybe not. Bigger ... why bother?

I saw your later post ... fishing, not packing your rifle? I would not want to rely on the .357. I'd take your relative's offer of loan of the 10mm. It's not ideal, but if you just have black bears, it's "better". IMHO. A .44 magnum is like an '06. It's the yardstick ... for a reason.

Tom

I have an NOE mold that casts 235gr LFN .360" bullets. In a 357, I get them close to 1100 fps. Riddle me this: what bullet can you shoot in your 44 that will give you the same penetration on a very large animal? What bullet could you shoot in a 10mm that would give you the same penetration?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Tom

I will have to let my son know the moose, caribou, brown bear, black bears, mountain goat, blacktails, and such should not have died from such an inadequate round, especially considering his preference for 80gr bullets...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If in that situation, I have a couple of candidates, the Glock 40 would need a chest type holster. The FA .357 would be handier.

If a big one was after me, I'd feel better armed with the Glock. But, a cool head like Phil, probably wouldn't matter, although IIRC, he was down to his last 9mm round... Don't think he'd have had time to reload the FA. That could take a minute or so when seconds count... The G-40 surely wins the firepower race, especially with extra clip(s)....

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G40s use clips now? LMAO.

Yep, redneck for mags.

DF

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Tom

I will have to let my son know the moose, caribou, brown bear, black bears, mountain goat, blacktails, and such should not have died from such an inadequate round, especially considering his preference for 80gr bullets...

Yeah, but he's a stunt shooter who doesn't "respect the game animals."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Tom

He’s kinda not!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
According to Heim Korth in the book "The Final Frontiersman" I would follow the advise:
Before taking a handgun into bear country make sure that the front sight is filed off. Because it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves the gun up your arse.

On the other hand:
In a case of immediate emergency even the 357 Magnum might help:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2008/01/grizzly-attack-caught-camera/

Thats a joke from Heimo....

Since 9mms work...

Really? ;-)

Elmer Keith
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
T_O_M,
This is what a 180 swift looks like after driven square through 16 inches the neck of a 55.75" antlered bull moose at 1200 fps, found against offside hide:

Lotta gusto from a 28oz pistol that fits in my pocket:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And with a smidgen of unique powder, any ole fmj, stacks the cache full o small game as well. So add versatility with the gusto if you don't mind:

What are the grips on the one with the red dot

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Tom

Trusting the parentheses denote sarcasm and will let that ride.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Tom

Trusting the parentheses denote sarcasm and will let that ride.

Hemorrhoids acting up, or just too much coffee? Those of us who have been here for some years know well your son's successes with a 25-06 and 80 gr TTSX.

The conversations about sensible minimums here on the Fire nearly always contain the same ridiculous hyperbole and irrational illogic.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hikerbum
T_O_M,
This is what a 180 swift looks like after driven square through 16 inches the neck of a 55.75" antlered bull moose at 1200 fps, found against offside hide:

And with a smidgen of unique powder, any ole fmj, stacks the cache full o small game as well. So add versatility with the gusto if you don't mind:

What are the grips on the one with the red dot

Grip is a pachmeyer. The original sp 101 grip leaves the middle finger knuckle exposed to the metal trigger guard. It would bite yah hard with 180s. I need a fast middle finger, because I flip off many people of the world on a dailey basis, so can't have a sore middle finger. Its a mission critical digit. The pachmeyer grip is better for hard recoiling rounds.

The little reflex sight weighs 1 oz. If I could find target sights, I wouldn't need the reflex. Ruger sights are too course for precision work on small game. So the reflex sight is skookum for hitting a swimming beaver in the head at 20 yds.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If you want a hand gun, I would take the 357 you already have. Even if I was buying a gun for bear I would take a double action, 4 inch barreled 357 revolver over a 10mm. Load it with large meplat hard cast bullets on the slow and heavy side.

There are no brown bears on POW. Hunting on the backside of Revillagigedo I had a mid sized (about 250 pounds) black bear come within 15 feet. It was just curious as we were in some think alders on an overgrown logging road and down wind. Yelling did nothing, but as soon as I started closing distance he ran off. I have a friend that called a solo goat hunt early because two black bear bores started stalking him. Almost all black bear attacks are predatory and can be avoided by paying attention, they are also incredibly rare. Browns are a different story, and browns are what most people think of when thinking of bears in Alaska. I would be comfortable on POW or Revillagigedo without a handgun for bears, I worry about two legged critters more.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
[quote=mainer_in_ak]T_O_M,

Hey mainer, what is the MD# of that Ruger you got there,,,,, Pretty Slick, @ 28oz. I'd like to find one, let me know, when you get a chance.....
Lj cool

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My time on POW was about thirty five years ago and things might be/probably are changed now. At that time, while not often, it was still occasionally possible to encounter grizzly sized blacks on the island. I personally witnessed the weighing (on LP scales, I assume to be accurate) a 440 lb bruiser that my pal had shot. If Phil says a .357 is adequate, then you could take that to the bank as gold advice, however, I would FEEL better with my .45 Blackhawk loaded hot with Buffalo Bore. That’s if you needed a backup at all, I’d just keep my rifle within close reach all the time. YMMV

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My suggestion has always been to carry whatever you feel most comfortable and competent with !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AK375DGR

Hey mainer, what is the MD# of that Ruger you got there,,,,, Pretty Slick, @ 28oz. I'd like to find one, let me know, when you get a chance.....
Lj cool

Here yah go:

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5771.html

Just like my bugger cockeyed 77s (ruger hawkeye 77s)

This little sloppy jalopy needed some work: new ismi springs, grip and sights. I also had to countour some meat off the front of the barrel to get balance right. Factory springs were absurdly heavy on both double and single action pull.

If you look closely, the front sight is filed off flush, so that it doesn't tear open my parka pocket. And supposedly, if a bear tries to shove it up my ass, it won't hurt as bad.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 11/13/20.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by AK375DGR

Lj cool

Here yah go:

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5771.html

Just like my bugger cockeyed 77s (ruger hawkeye 77s)

This little sloppy jalopy needed some work: new ismi springs, grip and sights. I also had to countour some meat off the front of the barrel to get balance right. Factory springs were absurdly heavy on both double and single action pull.

If you look closely, the front sight is filed off flush, so that it doesn't tear open my parka pocket. And supposedly, if a bear tries to shove it up my ass, it won't hurt as bad.

Ok, thanks, i'll check it out..... grin

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is NO WAY I would ever want to depend on a .357 magnum for bear defense. NO WAY!

Give me at least a 44 magnum or larger.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
There is NO WAY I would ever want to depend on a .357 magnum for bear defense. NO WAY!

Give me at least a 44 magnum or larger.

That is great if you are one of the few capable of actually handling them (meaning those with lots of time with them.)

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 43 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.