Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking to buy a good used 2 bottom plow for use on some loam soil in Kansas. Been checking Tractorhouse.com and only new ones on there right now. Used is really preferred cause will only plow up about 5-15 acres.

Or as another idea, do guys who actually farm for a living ever hire out for a project like that? Looking at breaking some ground next June, discing in August and planting cereal rye for year 1. Then following up with native grasses in spring of 2022. Any suggestions welcome. Its totally a hobby farm and hopefully deer hunting spot.

Looking at some used mid 40 hp Kubota tractors at this point also. Thanks for any ideas.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
How big a field?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Field is about 25 acres. I have another smaller patch that adds maybe 5 more acres I'd like plowed. If doing myself I'd be in no hurry so 2 bottom plow and some cold beers and stand back.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You might find someone to plow that size field.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It'd be way cheaper to hire a neighbor to do it. Ask around.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by muleshoe
It'd be way cheaper to hire a neighbor to do it. Ask around.

^^^^This^^^^

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why not no-till drill the rye?

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be asking around to see if anyone is up to doing that plowing job. Appreciate the insights.

The field lays pretty flat and I know has some little bluestem growing in it. Kind of curious what burning it in late April would do for making it healthier and perhaps taller. Asking the local soil conservation office for more info on that approach.

Kingston, Not a farmer but thinking I'd have to burn down that existing grass with glyphosate prior to no till drilling the rye. Was thinking maybe just turning it under and then planting may yield better results. Need to kill some yuccas as well prior to any of this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T'were it me, I'd probably chemically burn it down, disk it lightly, harrow as needed, and drill baby!

Black Cows Matter!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Much easier to no-till

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have someone spray it and no-till drill whatever you want planted. I can't imagine your Regional NRCS folks wouldn't agree.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
there's a 2 bottom and a couple of 3 bottom plows on Craigslist right now.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Checked out the NRCS and conservation folks in Kansas. Great resource and thanks for the suggestions in that direction. I can actually borrow a seed drill for free from them. We're gonna walk the property in Feb and develop a plan to get my planting in place. Punted the alfalfa thoughts and current direction is to get as much native switch grass growing as I can.

Will save any strong stands of little blue stem, but really looking forward to working with the local professionals on reestablishing some more native prairie. I'll upgrade my little Kubota to a less little 45 hp version shortly. Thanks again all. I may start a thread later on how it is all going. But new plan is tall, rank, nasty switch grass bedding thickets.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good luck with it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You got good advice. Cereal rye is very easy to no-till or plant without turning dirt. I plant it on food plots by just broadcasting it, spraying with gly, and cultipacking.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is there a reason for Switch Grass.

I thought you were headed toward natural prairie mixture?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kanlow switchgrass is a native tall prairie grass. May plant some indian grass and big bluestem as well. And any strong stands of little bluestem will get protected too. The switchgrass patches I have been hunting in the surrounding areas are holding good numbers of deer and quite a few pheasants. So planning on trying to replicate some of that tall bedding cover.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At least around here, if you plant switchgrass you're better off not paying for the other species. Without a bit of maintenance; strip disking or burning; you'll end up with all switchgrass anyway. I'd also not shy away from adding a forb component, especially some legumes. Helps the grass and is great for the critters.

Though there is a bit of red tape involved and some restrictions on management, I'd not discount enrolling the seeded portions into CRP/CREP if it qualifies. Rental payments might not be much, but would be better than nothing and they will help with installation plans/costs. If you don't want the burden of a longer term contract look and see what they offer through EQIP (Environmental Quality Incentives Program). Won't get a rent payment, but would help with planning and installation costs.

PS- Hank and I could be made available for bird "surveys"... wink

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pointer, Hoping to do one more bird survey in Kansas before month end, though the end of Dec was tough hunting for us. I do think there are soil conservation plans that would provide assistance for the installation at a minimum. Plus the turkey population in this area has declined and I think there may be some habitat improvement assistance for them as well. I don't think this place will ever hold many birds but hoping to hold some deer if I can get it setup well.

Wanting to hit SD during grouse season next fall. We should meet up there sometime.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SD is on my short list for next year. Timing will be dependent on big game draws. Once I have an idea I'll be in touch. Then again, I'm getting to the point that I'd just as soon head out with Hank for birds than for big game...

Good luck with the farm!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.