Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Plowing is about the worst thing for soil you can do. It's had years to build its tilth and black soil exposed to sunlight is damaging...the weeds will explode ..its mother natures way of healing the wound..
I'm taking out my crp this year about 40 acres. That ground won't get tilled by me for sure...its been in native grass for 30 years..
My plan is to burn down with glysophate plant corn and fly on rye in late sept ..run cows all winter..
I baled off all the grass last Oct

GB2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Plowing is about the worst thing for soil you can do. It's had years to build its tilth and black soil exposed to sunlight is damaging...the weeds will explode ..its mother natures way of healing the wound..
I'm taking out my crp this year about 40 acres. That ground won't get tilled by me for sure...its been in native grass for 30 years..
My plan is to burn down with glysophate plant corn and fly on rye in late sept ..run cows all winter..
I baled off all the grass last Oct
Little blue stem is a tough kill with roundup. I had some in crp that hung around 3-4 years ..when we do our burn down its not actively growing yet. Clethodome in beans seems to finally get it..
Are you trying to raise just rye?

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info Rainier. If some of the little bluestem survives I guess that is fine. First thing is to kill off the existing yuccas as they have gotten established over the years. Going to do a 2 acre test plot of Kanlow switchgrass to see if I can get it established. Will use glyphosate in early April and again in early May. May mow the old standing grass stand in March as well.

Will broadcast seed the Kanlow in mid May and the roll it using an atv and roller. Doing it this way, can use my existing equipment. So of the existing acres in the pasture, 2 will go switch to start. Have a 4 acre plot picked out for glyphosate treatment and then buckwheat cover crop going in. That gets killed off in July and then planting rye, oats, brassicas, perhaps some beans into that 4 acres and rolling the dead buckwheat down in August.

Will see how those two areas do this year and then perhaps modify my approach in 2021. Clethodome looks interesting. I'll research that some more too.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
never could get oats to go here, unless planted by mid May....

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don, think it is pretty rain dependent for a fall planting. Could go well or may not do crap. If like last year's moisture, won't do anything. The rye should pop up and perhaps the brassicas. Gotta get soil tests done on both plots this Friday. That may squash my plans as well. Its a learning thing so going to jump in.

That clethodim or however you spell it may work well at knocking back the current grass crop. Have to work this stuff in around a few spring turkey hunts on the place.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a 5 bottom plow for $500 - it was in very good condition. Sometimes the land needs to be plowed, especially if it had not been plowed in years. I plowed under 8 foot tall cotton wood trees.

Turning the soil over brings the old soil to the top and the plant rich soil down. The only reason it was abandoned with other methods was to save gasoline/diesel. THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE other than that, except saving moisture - if that is an issue.

I recommend looking on Craig's List and Facebook market place.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/26/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
30338- I'd be surprised if you can't get the rye to grow. I've had it sprout in the bed of my truck after it got wet. When I've used buckwheat I didn't bother with burning it down or mowing. I let it set seed, broadcast the next crop into it then rolled it down. You'll gets LOTS of volunteer buckwheat, but it'll be gone after the first frost. That said, a burn down of it won't hurt, especially if it's a bit weedy. Might want to consider throwing some cheap annual clover in with the rye, brassica,and oats. All 3 really like nitrogen and the clover would give you some of that. Plus, it's generally cheap.

Originally Posted by Bugger
I bought a 5 bottom plow for $500 - it was in very good condition. Sometimes the land needs to be plowed, especially if it had not been plowed in years. I plowed under 8 foot tall cotton wood trees.

Turning the soil over brings the old soil to the top and the plant rich soil down. The only reason it was abandoned with other methods was to save gasoline/diesel. THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE other than that, except saving moisture - if that is an issue.

I recommend looking on Craig's List and Facebook market place.

Lots of evidence out there that disagrees with your rationale or reasoning for why it was abandoned, especially in regards to wildlife plantings...

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pointer, Have a plan for 2 acres of switchgrass after talking with my seed distributor. I'll run with that plan and think it has good odds if we get rain.

Going with buckwheat and maybe sunflowers on the 4 acre food plot that is now entirely little bluestem and weeds. Will kill that off, plant buckwheat, roll it in, and hope it takes off. If it does and I guess even if it doesn't, will do what you said above and go with a mix of seeds in there come August. Its in a great spot for a stand or blind on my place and hoping to cash in come Sept.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Switchgrass is gaining in popularity here for places that need additional cover. Too many around here only think of trees when they think of deer cover. Some are putting in WSG like switchgrass and liking it once it's well established. Hope you seed dealer has told you to be patient. With species like switchgrass it can take up to 3 years to really see the success.

Curious what you see with the sunflowers. I planted some with a fall food plat a couple years ago. Got good establishment, but they didn't last long, deer ate them all!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That clethadum is cheap we use it on be and for grass when doing liberty beans. Also is murder on vol corn that has the liberty gene. Also use it on alfalfa...if it's grass family it will kill it

IC B3

G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you're still looking for a 2 bottom plow, there are a couple on Craigslist-Wichita.

G23

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks G23. Going to try doing it without this year for a couple of test plots. Have a few ideas to test on 4-6 acres. Thanks again.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well was working on the place last weekend and my farmer neighbor stopped by. Super nice young kid. Sounds like when he is discing his field up in August, that he'll swing by and do however many acres I have ready to go for me. So it all got a lot easier all of sudden. Plan on planting a winter cover crop and then planting into that spring of 2022. Now back to killing yuccas and honey locusts lol.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I do not know about there, but here deer really like the honey locust pods as a food source.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have heard they like them. Sort of invasive out there if left to their own devices. Killing those and yuccas. Then planning on planting a variety of oaks to see which will survive in the river bottom.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Oaks will be a wonderful experiment.
Wonder what/how they will do there?
In a few years you may well have acorns.

~ MOLON LABE ~
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I had never seen a honey locust when I lived "out there", but then I guess Denver area is different than Albuquerque.

We have them here and I have regretted killing he few I had in the woods.
Not a whole lot left for deer to eat in late winter/early spring.

~ MOLON LABE ~
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Louis, This spot is in central KS so they have a lot of browse and the winter wheat fields are looking great. Hearing reports that bur oaks do pretty well in the area so those are on the list for sure. Just want them far enough from the river that the beavers don't mess with them. Will keep wire cages around them for a few years also to prevent deer rubs.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
The story around here is, that if you come across a Bur Oak tree, the acorn was likely transported here by Native Americans.

You may want to look at the time to produce mast when you get to looking at oaks.

~ MOLON LABE ~
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kansas Forestry offers some great pricing on seedlings. Trees on my list to be planted next year with tree tubes followed by wire cages till too big for rubs are:

Black walnut, bur oak, chinkapin oak, northern red oak, pecan, pin oak, shell bark hickory, shumard oak, and swamp white oak.

Will be busy next spring working on that project for sure. I figure some will do better than others and as you mentioned, they should drop acorns at various times.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.