You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
Originally Posted by rickt300
I used a 30 carbine though from a Ruger Blackhawk on a couple of deer. The soft nose Remington load did not expand much but it penetrated well. I would not use the Blackhawk again for deer but it worked for me twice.

I just picked up one that I was gonna tote some for back-up this year. Will be interesting...

Accurate pistol but the muzzle blast was real impressive. an ear piercing sound worse than a 357.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by aspade
Originally Posted by BayouRover
... an official number of 6,121,309 of them were produced from July 1942 – August 1945 for the US military. That number far exceeds any other firearm produced for military use in WWII.

Why? Because many actual combat troops preferred it over the M1 Garand.

1. All of those heaps of carbines were ordered, and most were delivered, before US ground troops had used them in combat to any meaningful degree.

2. Actual troops preferred it to the Garand because 95% of their job was something other than rifleman, and usually behind the lines at that, and the Carbine was easy to carry around.

3. In any case nobody gave a damn what they preferred, conscripts carried what they were issued. They ate food you wouldn't feed your dog and wore cotton jackets in the rain too.

I didn't know any of that......... laugh

For example, why were they the one most preferred rifle for airborne troops is few used them, and "because 95% of their job was something other than rifleman, and usually behind the lines at that"?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Accurate pistol but the muzzle blast was real impressive. an ear piercing sound worse than a 357.

Far worse... brutal, is not too strong a term!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

Imagine firing a REAL handgun, using more powder, bigger bullets, and higher pressure!!!!

Scary, right??

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Imagine firing a REAL handgun, using more powder, bigger bullets, and higher pressure!!!!

Scary, right??

It really has nothing to do with pressure and the amount of powder. Even the 32-20 with heavy loads has an ear-piercing report. Ol' Elmer Keith even mentioned this in SIXGUNS.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Scary, right??

It really has nothing to do with pressure and the amount of powder. Even the 32-20 with heavy loads has an ear-piercing report. Ol' Elmer Keith even mentioned this in SIXGUNS.

Well gosh, if Elmer said it...again, imagine if it was a REAL handgun, with more powder, bigger bullets, and higher pressure.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Loud? Laffin’...

You ain’t heard loud until you have minigun muzzle a couple or three feet from your knee. Rattles your guts it does. And kills stuff. Just like a M1 carbine. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just saying the 30 carbine out of a pistol has a sort of especially ear piercing crack. My reloads used IMR 4227 and just about any 110 gr. SP or HP I could find. Shot a lot of Speer Plinkers. That was the first gun that when I carried it I had ear plugs ready. To me out of a 4" barreled pistol the 22 Rimfire magnum has an uncomfortable muzzle blast. I do agree out of an accurate rifle and good shooting 100 yards would be a possibility. Neither of the two aftermarket M1 Carbines I owned would shoot under 4" at 100 yards.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nor would my own with the only factory ammo I’ve tried. Hand loads are quite a different story.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a friend in college that hunted with one that had a folding stock. He killed allot of deer out to 80yds with it and never lost a deer. He was deadly accurate with it. I wouldn't use one but it made me want a ruger 44 carbine.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I asked a gfp guy about it one time, he said not legal in SD. I asked why, he said the loads weren't lethal enough and most cheap assed hunters would just get mil ball surplus and figure well enough. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ruger 77/44 is one of my deer eradication tools. 300 gr paper patched lead...case closed.

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just saying the 30 carbine out of a pistol has a sort of especially ear piercing crack. My reloads used IMR 4227 and just about any 110 gr. SP or HP I could find. Shot a lot of Speer Plinkers. That was the first gun that when I carried it I had ear plugs ready. To me out of a 4" barreled pistol the 22 Rimfire magnum has an uncomfortable muzzle blast. I do agree out of an accurate rifle and good shooting 100 yards would be a possibility. Neither of the two aftermarket M1 Carbines I owned would shoot under 4" at 100 yards.

I would agree. I have a.30 Carbine Blackhawk. It’s a very accurate revolver, but the noise is unreal. It’s all out of proportion to what you’d expect looking at the cartridge.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Nor would my own with the only factory ammo I’ve tried. Hand loads are quite a different story.

I liked the little carbines, plenty handy. I never shot reloads in them just factory and the Ruger only shot one box of factory ammo through it, a box of Remington soft noses. The Ruger was a pretty accurate pistol. With reloads and my then younger good eyes I could consistently hit Beer cans at a hundred yards, neither of the carbines I had would do that.

Dog I rescued in January

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (1lesfox, 10ring1, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,744 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.