Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jkinpa

Real nice rifle!

Did you have the irons added to a standard classic?

If so, who did it and what type was used?
I like that....ALOT!

JK, that's an NECG Classic Rear, and Ashley (now XS) Front. It's a Plain-Jane M70 Fwt with the bbl. cut to 21". Dave Gentry did the work for me in 2004. I did the stock work which is a Bansner..

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone

Man l love that gun.

Zone, I really did too. In a moment of insanity I sold it.

I have the parts on hand to replicate it though.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TRexF16

And I kind of agree with the folks that are saying to go basic 30-06 versus 30 Sherman

And it doesn't have to be a 30-06... just something more practical, including the 300 WM, 300 WSM, 270, etc. All these are "World Cartridges."

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have traveled to hunt some, here and there. Often do have "backup" irons on my rifles, just in case, and in fact have deliberately made several hunts using only iron sights, from northern Canada to southern Africa.

But one thing I have observed among the many other hunters encountered during those trips is that those who insist on backup irons often don't shoot with iron sights very much, usually because they've been hunting with scopes for decades--as have most hunters these days. Which makes the value of the backup irons debatable.

If I'm going to take just one scoped rifle on a travel hunt, then I always have another scope along. Used to just take the scope and the proper tools to change it into the "primary" scope's rings--and had to do that a few times, including on my very first trip to Africa, when a new, expensive 3-9x European variable went crazy. Finished up (including taking my first kudu) with the well-used 4x brought along as backup.

For quite a while now, however, I have done what GF1 described for his recent caribou hunt--take along a smaller, second scope in the same detachable mounts as the primary scope, and already sighted-in. Even one of the 4x scopes that so many modern hunters have no use for is far more effective than irons for a hunter who doesn't use irons much. And the detachable mounts don't have to be expensive, either. The "Old Ugly" Weaver rings work very well. A small backup scope doesn't take up much room or weigh much, so can easily be carried in the hunter's pack, even a small daypack.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have traveled to hunt some, here and there. Often do have "backup" irons on my rifles, just in case, and in fact have deliberately made several hunts using only iron sights, from northern Canada to southern Africa.

But one thing I have observed among the many other hunters encountered during those trips is that those who insist on backup irons often don't shoot with iron sights very much, usually because they've been hunting with scopes for decades--as have most hunters these days. Which makes the value of the backup irons debatable.

If I'm going to take just one scoped rifle on a travel hunt, then I always have another scope along. Used to just take the scope and the proper tools to change it into the "primary" scope's rings--and had to do that a few times, including on my very first trip to Africa, when a new, expensive 3-9x European variable went crazy. Finished up (including taking my first kudu) with the well-used 4x brought along as backup.

For quite a while now, however, I have done what GF1 described for his recent caribou hunt--take along a smaller, second scope in the same detachable mounts as the primary scope, and already sighted-in. Even one of the 4x scopes that so many modern hunters have no use for is far more effective than irons for a hunter who doesn't use irons much. And the detachable mounts don't have to be expensive, either. The "Old Ugly" Weaver rings work very well. A small backup scope doesn't take up much room or weigh much, so can easily be carried in the hunter's pack, even a small daypack.

This is what I do, and I carry the backup scope in my backpack as I hunt a lot in Arizona where the chance of taking a tumble in to a big rock is common. For my 35 Whelen AI and similar, the backup is a 2.5X Leupold compact. For the more long range rifles, the backup is a Leupold 4x Compact. both scopes just weigh a few ounces. I use Leupold QR rings and mounts and they are already sighted in prior to the hunt. But even then a lot of my rifles have iron sights too, just because I like them. I used to shoot MOA regularly with peep sights but my eyes are a lot worse these days, but I still love the looks of a nice barrel band front sight on a rifle, and I think you shoot better with a rifle you love.

Cheers,
Rex

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
An extra scope set up and a few rds. Of ammo takes up little space..

Yup ........ ^^ This ^^

I'm having sights put on a classic Mauser rifle right now, but for the most part these are for looks. I don't plan on using them much other than sighting them in,.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Find an old steel Lyman or Redfield receiver peep sight and order your NECG barrel banded front sight, I use a Lyman on a pre-64 300 H&H, 300 yard steel is cake with 220gr Partitions loafing along at 2750 fps, aint a bull that ever pissed in the snow would hold one.

Trump Won!
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I hunted exclusively this year with irons including a ton of practice beforehand. Didn’t drop the hammer but had an awesome time and will be moving forward using irons exclusively. Honestly though...where I hunt it’s no handicap...maybe even an advantage

GOD Bless America
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

It might be more productive to think about finding the perfect elk rather than a nearly perfect elk rifle.

I would rather be trying to down the perfect elk with a less than perfect elk rifle than packing a nearly perfect elk rifle in an area without a perfect elk.

Last edited by RinB; 03/24/20.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry, RinB I have already killed the "perfect bull elk". Mine wasn't more than just an ordinary bull, what made him so special he died right on a two-track and my hunting partners and I drove the ranger right to him. At my age(77) that made that elk perfect. As to back up sights, I've carried a spare scope around for years.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a Leupi 2 1/2 compact sighted in. Weaver Mts. Carried it on several "far away" hunts. Never had to use it but gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing it was there

Lefty C

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have back-up irons on my M70 Featherweights and one X-Bolt. I can have the scope off and X/S ghost ring sight (pre-zeroed) in a couple of minutes. I use modded Ruger M77 front sights. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by jkinpa
I like them as well. I like the piece of mind of having them just in case, and think they’re a nice touch or custom builds.

I like them mainly because I’m a rifle nut and to me a proper M70 has backup iron’s:

My old 30-06:

That is my favorite rifle on the fire.

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
mclaughlincustomfirearms.com

They have a Rigby Peep, fits onto the rear of the bolt. I like the location, just not sure what models it will fit.

Get close and wack em hard!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image]

What kind of scope is on this rifle?

Last edited by mbenz; 10/28/20.

Psalm 119:71

It was good for me to be afflicted so that I may learn your decrees.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp
So, I will be having built a custom hunting rifle built. It will be a model 70, trued, rebarreled in 300 Sherman or similar, synthetic stock, some kind of ffp christmas tree reticle scope.

So, this is about open sights....I see 3 options:

1) NECG adjustable rear barrel sight with NECG masterpiece banded ramp/bead....I have similar on my 458 Lott....great 25-100 yd sights.

2) Talley rear peep and NECG Masterpiece banded front bead...seems great for accurate sight picture, but elevation is not very adjustable....I don’t like that really, unless there are some good ideas out there.

3) NECG barrel base peep with NECG masterpiece banded ramp front bead....only problem is that peep is a bit far from the eye to be a real peep sight.

What are your thoughts? Surely the folks around the campfire know how to properly setup a Winchester 70 with proper sights!

Yeah, the "proper" ones came that way originally...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Tag

Psalm 119:71

It was good for me to be afflicted so that I may learn your decrees.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wildcats ....... The attempt to reinvent the wheel that is already round.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
An extra scope set up and a few rds. Of ammo takes up little space..

Yup ........ ^^ This ^^

I'm having sights put on a classic Mauser rifle right now, but for the most part these are for looks. I don't plan on using them much other than sighting them in,.

Yeah, me too.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (300jimmy, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 01Foreman400, 18 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.