Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Couple that with their handling like a frigg' n hay wagon.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by OutdoorsinTexas
What's happened to Harley-Davidson reliability??

You mean you can't coast start them anymore???

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The only reason dude is here is to fish for YouTube video clicks. We’re I boss, I’d give him the boot.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hardly Ableson was never known for their reliability.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brazos
My newest Harley is a 1974, so really can't speak to the last 45 years...

The Shovelheads, Panheads, Knuckleheads, Flatheads, were never "reliable" in the sense of turn the key and go like Jap bikes. They were, however, simple enough that a rider could usually keep them running.

I know the early carbureted Evos were pretty bullet proof.

Then came fuel injection and computers.
What could go wrong?

In the late 60's and early 70's my kid brother rode his Harley for kicks and looking good.

On his many trips all over the country, he rode his Gold Wing.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
as usual people talking out there butts....harley balanced a engine in 2000
some of you others guys dont know what your talking about either....
i have sold harleys in boxes that are in pieces for more than you can get for some models of bikes running...lets see you do that or even get parts for a 20 year old honda

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tdbob
Hardly Ableson was never known for their reliability.

And yet, the 2 I had were/are as reliable as anything else I've had . AMF really messed up. They are a lot better now. I wager most that bad mouth them, haven't owned one. Handling like a hay wagon, unreliable, not really. In addition, the build quality is pretty darn good. Better than the Beemer I had.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gene270
as usual people talking out there butts....harley balanced a engine in 2000
some of you others guys dont know what your talking about either....
i have sold harleys in boxes that are in pieces for more than you can get for some models of bikes running...lets see you do that or even get parts for a 20 year old honda

it only took 100 years to do balance the engine

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by gunzo
harley owns the big twin market in the us with roughly fifty percent with all others combined to make the rest up....so surely there are going to be more issues there

yes with their 100 year old engine design

That's some funny chit right there. "100 year old design"

Nearly every gun in my vault is an over 100 year old design. Half the appliances in the house, same. Phuqk, auto transmissions offered on any scale are 81 YO this year, passenger car fuel injection is about 80 YO, the AR-15 is 64. So what is H/D thinking? Gee.

they do not have overhead cams. the idiotic design of one cylinder behind the other means the back cylinder runs a lot hotter. japs position engine where all 4 cylinders get air. every year or two jap engines improve with more horsepower in the same size engine. in fact a 500cc jap bike now would blow away a Harley . would you compare a 2 speed chevy trans from 1965 to a 6 speed tranny? if I had access to the tons and train loads of money poured into the AR the powder bullets twist rate for 40 years other people would have developed a mind controlled laser gun

Are you a dumbass in real life or do you just play one on the inter web?

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
harley owns the big twin market in the us with roughly fifty percent with all others combined to make the rest up....so surely there are going to be more issues there

That's some funny chit right there. "100 year old design"

Nearly every gun in my vault is an over 100 year old design. Half the appliances in the house, same. Phuqk, auto transmissions offered on any scale are 81 YO this year, passenger car fuel injection is about 80 YO, the AR-15 is 64. So what is H/D thinking? Gee.

they do not have overhead cams. the idiotic design of one cylinder behind the other means the back cylinder runs a lot hotter. japs position engine where all 4 cylinders get air. every year or two jap engines improve with more horsepower in the same size engine. in fact a 500cc jap bike now would blow away a Harley . would you compare a 2 speed chevy trans from 1965 to a 6 speed tranny? if I had access to the tons and train loads of money poured into the AR the powder bullets twist rate for 40 years other people would have developed a mind controlled laser gun

Are you a dumbass in real life or do you just play one on the inter web?

Give him a break man, one out of every 10 post he makes, about anything, is relevant. He only needs to make 6 more before he makes sense.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Harley makes good motorcycles. But the marketing they push gets to be tiring after a while.

Just one example. The Bay Area riding style for the younger guys who like to hot rod Dynas is flannel shirts. Probably because the Bay Area often has cool weather.

So HD started selling flannel shirts with their logo on the pocket. They had some on the rack last time I was at the Harley shop,.....$100,...for a flannel shirt.

I've owned a couple of Harleys. They're okay. But out of all the bikes I've owned, the Harleys aren't my favorites.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've never spent any time in the clothing section of a motorcycle dealer. I didn't know they had flannel. That sheds a whole new light on the brand.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've never spent any time in the clothing section of a motorcycle dealer. I didn't know they had flannel. That sheds a whole new light on the brand.

It's the audacity that the brand demonstrates.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW
Harley reliability has not been a problem for me (grin)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

That'll get it done!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
But anyway,...Any Harley that sells isn't over priced these days. They're setting on the showroom floor.

I recall when you had to get on a list to buy one.

Those days are over.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by benchman

They are actually pretty trick. They just aren't fast or make scads of hp. They ARE entertaining though. To each his own. I've had a bunch of them, from boy racer to old guy bikes. I like them all.

My thoughts exactly. If you can't enjoy riding any motorcycle, you ain't doing it right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
They have NOT done a lot of thinking if they can't figure how to balance an engine. Krisake, John Deere figured it out over 100 years ago.

Couple that with their handling like a frigg' n hay wagon.
But, they do make a lot of noise.

With the 2009 changes their handling improved appreciably. They don't want to "balance" their engine. That at idle vibration is purposeful and it disappears just as soon as you roll on the throttle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by benchman
. AMF really messed up. They are a lot better now. I wager most that bad mouth them, haven't owned one. .
Another spot-on comment. The AMF years have been difficult for Harley to overcome.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my 90 fxrs has never broken down or even did more than seep a little oil around the cylinder gasket. sits all winter on the battery tender, pull the choke, hit the go button and it fires right up.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.