Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Anyone know what would be the lightest charge of Varget that could safely be used in a 7-08 using a Speer 120g Pro Hunter? Just curious what the bare minimum would be.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 2020 Hodgdon Annual says with Nosler 120 Ball. Tip the starting charge is 24.5 gr. @ 2996 fps & 43.8K cup.

I'm unsure how Varget reacts to lower pressures.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Did you mean 42.5? The data on their website shows 42.5 with the 120 BT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H4895 and or Trail Boss are used in several cartridges for reduced recoil loads. You may want to look at these powders for your use?

Last edited by Esox357; 11/07/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Blacktails
Anyone know what would be the lightest charge of Varget that could safely be used in a 7-08 using a Speer 120g Pro Hunter? Just curious what the bare minimum would be.

OK, are you asking about the SIERRA 120 gr Pro Hunter? Speer Manual #13 does list a 120 gr bullet, a SP Spitser, but they haven't offered one in a long time. The manual also shows 41.0 gr Varget as the starting load for a velocity of 2788 fps with that bullet. That's where I'd start.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
The reason I was asking is that a friend who has a 7-08 was telling me he uses 37.0 grains of Varget with 120s, an easy shooting one ragged hole load for him. Since I've never seen any posted loads with that low of a Varget charge before, I was curious if you could go that low or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Contact Hodgon?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sierra Reloading Manual (5th addition) shows 37.6gr of Varget for 120 gr Pro Hunter bullet. According to the manual you should get approx. 2600 fps velocity.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The reason I was asking is that a friend who has a 7-08 was telling me he uses 37.0 grains of Varget with 120s, an easy shooting one ragged hole load for him. Since I've never seen any posted loads with that low of a Varget charge before, I was curious if you could go that low or not.

What do you think is going to go wrong?

Richard Lee of Lee reloading products fame did tests with nearly every powder existent some years ago, and found that many powders are charge-reducible far below what many would consider safe and produce very linear results. He reduced charges by as much as 50%. I would not do this with ball powders, nor would I do it with the slowest powders for a given cartridge, but picking a fast-burning powder for a cartridge and pairing it with a light bullet and then reducing the charge a bit until you get the velocity/recoil/performance you are after is nearly always a recipe for success.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
HuntnShoot,

That's good info, thanks. I'm new to reloading, so have no experience with any possible problems that might happen if you use a charge lighter than the recommended starting charge, as my friend does. Sounds like his load is okay. Thanks again đź‘Ť

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Heard back from Hodgdon regarding using lighter loads of Varget than the recommended starting load. They recommend against it. Here's what they said:

"There are no reduced loads for Varget in the 7-08 cartridge.  We do not recommend going below the starting load for the bullet weight selected".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Did you mean 42.5? The data on their website shows 42.5 with the 120 BT.

Ooops. Yes. I did mean 42.5 gr. Sorry. Fumble fingers is why you should always check data from a more reputable source than internet forums. The Hodgdon annuals are cheap & usually easily available.

Last edited by 358WCF; 11/14/20.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Heard back from Hodgdon regarding using lighter loads of Varget than the recommended starting load. They recommend against it. Here's what they said:

"There are no reduced loads for Varget in the 7-08 cartridge.  We do not recommend going below the starting load for the bullet weight selected".

It's too bad you couldn't actually interact with a powder tech and have a real discussion with him on the subject, rather than "We do not recommend going below the starting load..."

I'm not Hodgdon, who sells the powder (they are just salesmen), so I am not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't do, just like they won't.

I will tell you that reducing fairly fast-burning powders for a cartridge and bullet weight well below the starting load has never caused a verifiable problem. I will tell you that there are lots of guys that use powders this way, learning their burn characteristics in many cartridges, and then using them for purposes that diverge greatly from the published data. I will tell you that if you are concerned, you can "work down" in just the same way that a hand-loader starts low and "works up". I will also tell you that long ago I trusted Richard Lee's experiments in various cartridges with various powders, and that I have had NO odd events, let alone possibly dangerous ones, from using greatly reduced charges of relatively fast burning powders in cartridges. The results I have seen have been utterly linear regarding velocity and perceived pressure clear down to about 50% of a max load. Just as Richard Lee reported in his book.

As with all of hand-loading, you take all of the risk, and you reap all of the reward.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If there is a load for H4895, that's where I would begin with reduced loads. Reloading can be very unforgiving. If you're being told not to do something by the manufacturer, distributor, there may well be a good reason for such advice.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 11/15/20.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hodgdon isn't the manufacturer, that's Australian Defense Industries. Of course they're going to give you the stock answer of not to do it, no company is going to expose itself to legal liability in the U.S. today where you can get sued for not using the right pronoun.

With a fast burning powder like Varget I'd work my down with a chronograph until I got to the velocity I wanted. I agree with HuntnShoot

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks Crow hunter, I used the wrong word but fixed it for you.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

all Hodgdon's tech people are telling you, are what their lawyers are telling them to tell you...

if I listened to techs, after the fact, I should have been dead decades ago....

at least according to their lawyers....

Using your head goes a long way....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 19 invisible), 1,349 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.