Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Anyone have any experience with this powder? Reloading components are getting scarce fast up here and i just found a supplier online that carries this brand thats made in Canada. Im looking at the D4895 powder. Price is good too, not sure what shipping will cost?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The only thing I know about them is they have been around for 4 years. I suspect, and will attempt to find out, that this powder is leftover powder (overrun).

I do not believe it is cannister grade. There is norhing wrong with that. It just means that you will need to work up new loads when you buy more. Different lots of these powders can show wider flucuations lot to lot.

I suspect that this is made by IMR and is probably left over propellant for specific cartridges.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yukon254;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a bit less windy up there than it is currently here and that all else is as it should be with you folks.

While I have no particular experience with the new D4895, I'll say this about using "different powders".

During the last big buying panic in the '90's - why it was I can't recall just now, but we couldn't find much for powder or primers, a couple buddies and I went in together and ordered 2 batches of 30lbs of various powders from Higginson in Ontario.\\

We ended up getting some made in Scotland Nobel, some US surplus ball that is very much like WW760 and WW748 in burn rate and some that was said to be the equivalent of VVN160.

The N160 equivalent was fantastic in a bunch of rifles from 6.5x55 up into the .300 Mags, but something was off in the mix on it in that it only lasted a few years and then began to cake up on me, so I ended up tossing just over half of an 8lb caddy out.

Anyways, that was the only bad experience and honestly the only time I've seen that in 40 years of hand loading adventures.

One caveat I'd suggest would be that if you don't have a chronograph, it's tougher to know what's really and truly happening with new powders. That said, as a matter of course now I try to purchase at least a couple pounds of any new powder I'm trying and then will chronograph loads out of each new can if they're not the same lot number. I'd recommend starting low, working up to a reasonable velocity for an equivalent burning speed and seeing what the cases look like as well as if the accuracy is acceptable.

Please note that I've run into pretty significant velocity differences - and the accompanying pressure differences with WW748 and IMR4831 recently, so each new can gets a speed check/work up now. I didn't and ended up completely baking a half dozen Lapua cases for my 6.5x55 and my goodness that hurts my little thrifty heart!

If you have access to a chronograph - they're $150 or so at Budget Shooters in Surrey - I just got a Pro Chrono from Henry and absolutely love it - then I'd say go for it.

Hope that made some sense and was useful. Good luck whichever way you decide and all the best to you folks as we head into shorter days and winter.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Thanks guys, that helps. Steve, what is " canister grade," and how will it effect load development?

Dwayne, we got some real cold weather the first week of November, but then it warmed up and started snowing. We got 19 inches overnight last week. Thats the largest overnight dump of snow Ive seen in my 30-plus years here. I do have access to a chronograph so will for sure use it with this new powder.

How about shipping powder, is it quite expensive?

Thanks again for all the good info.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Hello Yukon, right now I am working at Corlanes in Dawson Creek, and yes shipping powder is VERY expensive.
A fella from Ontario was wanting a pound of reloader 19 shipped to him.
Was going to cost over a hundred dollars.
Where abouts do you live up there

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by yukon254
Thanks guys, that helps. Steve, what is " canister grade," and how will it effect load development?

Hi. In a nutshell, non-cannister grade powder is made for a specific purpose. Generally, for a specific cartridge, designed to be uniform and improve performance. The lot may be adjusted for a cartridge/bullet combination.

Cannister grade powder is sold to us for reloading and varies less in burn rate, lot to lot. That said, new lots should always be dropped back and checked to ensure they are not too different than your previous lot.

For non-cannister grade powders, you often see instructions like, "use IMR 4XXX data and reduce by 5%" or similar. Treat the 5% reduction as your starting load. With these powders, NEVER go to the book max right away!! These powders are usually blends and are slightly different.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by eric123
Hello Yukon, right now I am working at Corlanes in Dawson Creek, and yes shipping powder is VERY expensive.
A fella from Ontario was wanting a pound of reloader 19 shipped to him.
Was going to cost over a hundred dollars.
Where abouts do you live up there

Tell Tim David O'Farrell said hi! Thanks for the info on the shipping. Do you guys have a good supply on hand? I have friends and family that live close to Dawson Creek that could pick some up for me. I live in Tagish which is in southern Yukon.

Steve thanks for the info, it was very helpful. I didnt know that, but will work up slowly.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
What powder are you looking for ?
right now there is a pretty good selection of the more common powders on hand.

Pm me your phone number and let me know what you are after and I can look tomorrow for you.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by yukon254
...Steve thanks for the info, it was very helpful. I didnt know that, but will work up slowly.

Actually, I should thank you. I wasn't aware that DA powders existed. I went to the Canada Ammo site and ordered 5 lb of 8208 equivalent and a navy jacket. My wife is giving it to me for Christmas. smile The powder, all in, delivered to my door will be $36.15/lb. I am almost out of IMR 8208, so this should fit the bill. I suspect this is IMR powder anyway, but may be blended differently as a cartridge filler. It makes sense that IMR would want a factory outlet to sell off overruns.

I guess your shipping is more expensive, but I would enquire. The site says orders over $200 are free shipping. That may not apply to the Yukon however. Let us know how you make out.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Higginsons about 30 years ago had a surplus powder, N47 extruded, made in Scotland by Nobel, It was "2 grains faster than 4350" How's that for scientific . And it was also cheap. I used it in my 338-06, where it was perfect and for practice BANG in my 30-06 Each lot was a different burn rate, so I would start low and reach the speed of the great load. And it would shoot just as well. I still have a four shot cloverleaf 100m target tacked to my wall.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Thats a good price Steve. A pound of just about any kind of powder will run $65 up here now. I will call them tomorrow and get a price on shipping but it sounds like the way to go for me right now. Your wife is very generous !

Eric, thanks for the offer. I am looking for 4895. It works well for my 308 and 300 Savage.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah. I am tempted to pick up some 4895 as well. I have about 2 lb of each, but the price is right.

Let us know what the shipping charges are up there. We have a few members in the Yukon that would be interested.

Cheers.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Canada Ammo has that powder. Free shipping on orders over $200. I just got 10# ........ 5lb D4064 & 5lb D4350

There are lots of positive reviews on CGN so I hoarded up a bit on that and other powders this year. Who knows how things will go for shooters & reloaders if the dems do get in here in the US.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Canada Ammo has that powder. Free shipping on orders over $200. I just got 10# ........ 5lb D4064 & 5lb D4350

There are lots of positive reviews on CGN so I hoarded up a bit on that and other powders this year. Who knows how things will go for shooters & reloaders if the dems do get in here in the US.

I thought you lived in Canada.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I thought you lived in Canada.

I do live in Canada but the results of the US election will have consequences in Canada when the US shooters start hoarding ammo and reloading kit. We are already seeing shortages here so I'm hoarding too. smile

I said "here in the US" in reference to this American website.

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Talked to Dan at Canada Ammo today. What great customer service! He got back to me within 5-minutes with a shipping quote. So for me and my son, we can get 6-pounds each in one oder. The shipping was going to be $80. Dan gave us a break and split the shipping with us. So $41 shipping. Cant beat that, and he now has two regular customers. Even at full shipping rates I will buy from him. Customer service goes a long ways in my book. I ordered a snowblower a month ago from a local dealer. I called yesterday for an ETA. They told me they didnt know and would have to pull my file to find out, and they were not interested in doing that. I would just have to wait until it comes in and they will call me.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Fantastic! Customer service is important!

I'm looking forward to trying the powder too.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done at least 4 purchases from Canada Ammo. All were fast and flawless.

They get my business if I need what they have.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
i just got an email from them today saying that their 8208 is back in stock. When I ordered it, that powder was listed as in stock, but as of today, has not shipped.

No complaints. I just wonder how fast they normally ship.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
No complaints. I just wonder how fast they normally ship.

I got my last powder order in a week. That was in Oct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
589 members (10Glocks, 12308300, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.