Print Thread
Hop To
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Last year I was talking with a guy about reloading for the AR15. He recommended a bullet made for Mid South SS by Hornady. I can't remember all of the details. It was either 62 or 68 gr? he had some targets with impressive groups from the round he'd worked up with this bullet. Anyone know which bullet this might be?

Last edited by IZH27; 11/15/20.
ARIC

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Probably the Hornady 62 gr. hollow point boattail. I've loaded about 500 of them and for what they cost was very happy. Too bad they cannot get them or keep them if they do.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by IZH27
Last year I was talking with a guy about reloading for the AR15. He recommended a bullet made for Mid South SS by Hornady. I can't remember all of the details. It was either 62 or 68 gr? he had some targets with impressive groups from the round he'd worked up with this bullet. Anyone know which bullet this might be?

How "impressive" are we talking now?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
68 hornady are horrible I tried and tried to get them to shoot. Wanted a cheap bullet to use for reduced yardage matches we have. Hell 55gr fmj from hornady shot better than the 68 and that’s saying alot because the 55gr fmj are notorious for being chitty get to shoot as well.. people ask what’s a chitty group 10 shot group and an honest 2 inch groups with the 68’s. If you are looking for a bullet to load for Armageddon ammo then it will be just fine..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Glynn
Probably the Hornady 62 gr. hollow point boattail. I've loaded about 500 of them and for what they cost was very happy. Too bad they cannot get them or keep them if they do.

Hornady no longer makes a 62 BTHP. They must be special to Midsouth.

Swifty
IC B2

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Dime sized groups. The guy was the range master and basically lived there tending the place.

I’m thinking that it was a 62 gr match.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by IZH27
Dime sized groups. The guy was the range master and basically lived there tending the place.

I’m thinking that it was a 62 gr match.

Thats a good guess, since they have 65 .224 Hornady bullets listed...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
68 hornady are horrible I tried and tried to get them to shoot.
Either your barrel hates them or you got a bad batch. I went "D" shooting those at 200.

Politics is War by Other Means
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by 79S
Either your barrel hates them or you got a bad batch. I went "D" shooting those at 200.

Now the 69 Sierra’s shoot very well in my AR. But those are from being a good inexpensive bullet lol..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I had a couple boxes of the 68's stashed away for a rainy day. They shot pretty good. Can't find any of those locally though, haven't seen them here for years. Generally I buy bullets locally, unless I am buying seconds from SPS. Funny thing is I thought they had probably discontinued the 68 gr HPBT. By the way, the Hornady bullet I've been fighting with recently is the 75gr BTHP match. They shoot consistently shidty... Maybe you guys have gotten better results, but I bought 1,000 from midsouth a few months ago, when someone here started a thread on that bullet vs. the sierra's. Sierra's have always performed very well in all of my rifles. Those damn 75gr match bullets not so much.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Now the 69 Sierra’s shoot very well in my AR. But those are from being a good inexpensive bullet lol..

They are $26/box at Walmart. And yes, they shoot damn well in all of my AR's. Sometimes its worth forking over a little extra for a good reliably shooting bullet.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

I had a couple boxes of the 68's stashed away for a rainy day. They shot pretty good. Can't find any of those locally though, haven't seen them here for years. Generally I buy bullets locally, unless I am buying seconds from SPS. Funny thing is I thought they had probably discontinued the 68 gr HPBT. By the way, the Hornady bullet I've been fighting with recently is the 75gr BTHP match. They shoot consistently shidty... Maybe you guys have gotten better results, but I bought 1,000 from midsouth a few months ago, when someone here started a thread on that bullet vs. the sierra's. Sierra's have always performed very well in all of my rifles. Those damn 75gr match bullets not so much.

Those 75 hornady bthp shoot very well out of my 224 Valkyrie.. getting 2900 FPS with them.. I have to find my targets..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

They are $26/box at Walmart. And yes, they shoot damn well in all of my AR's. Sometimes its worth forking over a little extra for a good reliably shooting bullet.

Waste of a good bullet shooting at 100yds.. I’m stocked up on 55gr Hornady sp for next years matches

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Waste of a good bullet shooting at 100yds.. I’m stocked up on 55gr Hornady sp for next years matches

If you aren't using a good bullet, like the 69SMK, you are giving your competition a distinct advantage. You'll learn that one of these days. Why limit yourself to your load/bullet. You should run a good accurate (sub moa) barrel and bullet/load combo... In comp, I feel much better when I don't have to worry about the bullet and load I'm using. 1 less worry out of the way is a good thing in a competition. I guess some guys want something else to blame, if they shoot like chidt. You remind me of some of the guys that came in from Portland and Vancouver to one of our AR shoots. One using a target grade rifle with fancy olympic style sights suggested we shoot a fast fire event. His suggestion was 10 shots in 1 minute. I said, hell that isn't fast fire. Lets shoot 10 shots in 10 seconds. We decided to do it his way first, and then shot it a few times my way. The Portland and Vancouver big club guys got sandy manginas and didn't want to shoot it a second and third time. They packed their chidt and left. Poor fu cks could only lay down 6-8 rounds for score in 10 seconds..... You want to see stupid fu cks fall apart, take them out of their comfort zone....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I shot Nosler 77s for a season & a half. Could not clean 300 to save my life, in spite of being able to shoot HM scores at 600 with Nosler 80s.
Switched to Lapua 77s and Shazzaam! High X cleans at 300. Tried some Sierras, again cleaning 300. Bought another lot# of Nosler 77s. They shoot better but still aren't what I'd take to the Nationals.

Politics is War by Other Means
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

If you aren't using a good bullet, like the 69SMK, you are giving your competition a distinct advantage. You'll learn that one of these days. Why limit yourself to your load/bullet. You should run a good accurate (sub moa) barrel and bullet/load combo... In comp, I feel much better when I don't have to worry about the bullet and load I'm using. 1 less worry out of the way is a good thing in a competition. I guess some guys want something else to blame, if they shoot like chidt. You remind me of some of the guys that came in from Portland and Vancouver to one of our AR shoots. One using a target grade rifle with fancy olympic style sights suggested we shoot a fast fire event. His suggestion was 10 shots in 1 minute. I said, hell that isn't fast fire. Lets shoot 10 shots in 10 seconds. We decided to do it his way first, and then shot it a few times my way. The Portland and Vancouver big club guys got sandy manginas and didn't want to shoot it a second and third time. They packed their chidt and left. Poor fu cks could only lay down 6-8 rounds for score in 10 seconds..... You want to see stupid fu cks fall apart, take them out of their comfort zone....

Yes BSA’s way is the right way and all the NRA and CMP matches are doing it the wrong way.. All those guys were trying to do was use NRA/CMP rules.. Besides I have a pretty good 55gr load for 100yd reduced matches.. Save the 69’s for 200/300 yd line. Now go eat a snickers you are acting like a grumpy Indian.

Last edited by 79S; 11/17/20.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot Nosler 77s for a season & a half. Could not clean 300 to save my life, in spite of being able to shoot HM scores at 600 with Nosler 80s.
Switched to Lapua 77s and Shazzaam! High X cleans at 300. Tried some Sierras, again cleaning 300. Bought another lot# of Nosler 77s. They shoot better but still aren't what I'd take to the Nationals.

That’s been the consensus here in our club with 77 nosler several of us couldn’t get them to shoot. I switched to 77 Sierra’s problem solved. Ended up shooting 80.5 begers last part of 2018 shooting season.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

79s has said he's had issues with the Noslers, so I haven't even bothered with them. I'd rather just run a 69SMK or 77TMK. They are pretty easy to get to shoot well... When we are shooting irons, I can't afford to shoot a chitty bullet. I need all the help I can get!!!!! I hate flyers when it's not my fault, but the bullet that is the culprit. I've seen it far too many times and gave up on some brands and pills.

BSA MAGA
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I

I think this may be the one. thanks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,843 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.